Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard;

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard; [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2005, 19:02
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:50) correct 21% (01:17) wrong based on 68 sessions
Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard; therefore, governments should ban all advertisements that promote smoking.

Which one of the following principles, if established, mast strongly supports the argument?

(A) Advertisements should not be allowed to show people doing things that endanger their health.
(B) Advertisers should not make misleading claims about the healthfulness of their products.
(C) Advertisements should disclose the health hazards associated with the products they promote.
(D) All products should conform to strict government health and safety standards.
(E) Advertisements should promote only healthful products.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2005, 19:07
A?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2005, 20:04
its between A or E ...

I will take E because assumption is that smoking is NOT healthful, and the conclusion it should be ban.
E supports the assumption since advertisments should only promote healthful stuff.

not confident thou..
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2005, 20:23
I think its mostly E

(should be A or E
The context s about products.
We can ignore A because it talks about people and nothing about products)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2005, 20:33
I vote for A)
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2005, 22:53
I would go for A.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2005, 23:36
Between A and E, I go with A. The passage says advertisements that promote smoking should be banned. This goes to say the advertisement must have shown people smoking. The closest choice that goes with this line of argument is choice (A) which says advertisements should not be allowed to show things people doing things that endanger their health.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 00:46
It should be A.
What is the OA?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 00:46
It should be A.
What is the OA?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 01:14
it is A.

hey ya......

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - smoking [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 08:56
I would go with E .

The Passage does not say any thing about what's shown in the advertisements. "to show people doing things that endanger their health".

It makes the Conclusion that Goverment should ban the Cigrate Advertisement. Because the "Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard"

Am i going way south here ....? WHAT IS OA and Explanation?

:roll:

Antmavel wrote:
Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard; therefore, governments should ban all advertisements that promote smoking.

Which one of the following principles, if established, mast strongly supports the argument?

(A) Advertisements should not be allowed to show people doing things that endanger their health.
(B) Advertisers should not make misleading claims about the healthfulness of their products.
(C) Advertisements should disclose the health hazards associated with the products they promote.
(D) All products should conform to strict government health and safety standards.
(E) Advertisements should promote only healthful products.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - smoking [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 14:50
I would also choose A. Why E, what if there is a neutral product? (all others are out of scope)
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 17:41
no OE

OA is E

Actually in A it is said that advertisements should not be allowed to show people doing things that endanger their health, but not that the product is healthy or not

You can sell insurance company services using an advertising campaign that show some people having some accidents, using stuntmen, in that case people endanger their heatlh but the product is sane and good.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 17:55
Antmavel wrote:
no OE

OA is E

Actually in A it is said that advertisements should not be allowed to show people doing things that endanger their health, but not that the product is healthy or not

You can sell insurance company services using an advertising campaign that show some people having some accidents, using stuntmen, in that case people endanger their heatlh but the product is sane and good.

Wow!
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 19:16
Bhai wrote:
Antmavel wrote:
no OE

OA is E

Wow!

What's your meaning ? :roll: I've never said this campaign would be successfull :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 23:15
The clear assumption are

1) "smoking advertisements are promoting smoking and resulting in health hazards"
2) "governments should ban things, i.e. advertisements, if they cause a health hazard.

a) Out of scope
b) Out of scope
d) Out of scope
e) Out - Distorts the argument

I pick C because if advertisements reveal health hazards, then the government would know..... and therefore ban.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 23:54
E)...A) is out b/c it could be possible that the advertisement shows only the product without people. in this case the claim of the argument wouldn`t be supported b/c there would be no need to ban the ad. only E) adresses the problem in the right way.

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Intern
Intern

Re: Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard; [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 18:55
I picked A; however, after seeing the answer is E, I can both see why and argue it.

The passage talks about promoting smoking but A talks about actually showing people doing this health hazard thing called smoking.

But E is also kind of wrong because the passage states that the government should ban advertisements that promote smoking, which is a health hazard. Aka, a negative advertisement. And E goes on to say that advertisements should only promote healthful products. Aka, a positive.

The real answer should be "Advertisements should not promote health hazard products." Otherwise, if advertisements should only promote the positive, what about the neutral products?
Intern
Intern

Re: Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard; [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 02:33
Advertisements that promotes the health hazardous products should banned only so that the other health products may not suffer because of this.But this has been a serious issue because government has been getting lots of revenue from these products so that might be the main reason behind this that no adverts has been banned.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 10

Re: Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard; [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 18:11
This post received
KUDOS
What is the source for this question? I think this is far from the GMAT reasoning style.. so be careful when you pick the source. I chose A, but E makes some sense too. I don't think this is a good one.
Re: Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard;   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2012, 18:11