Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 01:50
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (02:18) correct 47% (01:23) wrong based on 152 sessions
Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning by workers, and finding that the plans themselves are excessively complex, the authors of a recent study have found that most eligible American workers had not made the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans.

A Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning by workers, and finding that the plans themselves are excessively complex, the authors of a recent study have found that most eligible American workers had not made the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans.

B Increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning on the part of workers, and excess complexity in the plans themselves have been explained by a recent study finding the majority of eligible American workers who do not make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans.

C Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor worker financial planning, and excessively complex plans themselves as possible explanations, a majority of American workers had failed to make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans, a recent study has found.

D The authors of a recent study, citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning by workers, and finding that the plans themselves are excessively complex, have found that most eligible American workers do not make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans.

E A recent study has found that most eligible American workers fail to make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans; among the explanations cited are increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning on the workers' part, and excess complexity in the plans themselves.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 16

Re: Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor fi [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 05:23
Ahh these are the types of questions that ask for the intended meaning of the author. With that I go with E. I love simple sentences and, generally, the simpler the sentence the better. I mean come to think of it, why prolong your sentences when you could cut them up into smaller pieces. :)

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1705 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor fi [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 05:49
Expert's post
Yes! E may the best among the bunch. However, why is E ignoring the authors and just mentioning the study alone? Can an inanimate study stand to replace a dynamic body of authors? In other words, does E carry the mantle of the original?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor fi [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 07:17
Lengthy question but easy one. Got E.

Btw E is keeping the meaning intact as it is the study made by author himself.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 7

Re: Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor fi [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 07:18
Why I am odd one out who thinks D is better than E?

E is not even covering all the aspects (one of them mentioned above by daagh) of the original sentence.

So my question is why D is so bad? is it because of placing of multiple commas OR it is because of placing of "Citing" and "Finding"?

Please enlighten me....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor fi [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 07:23
Seems like a lot of you find this one easy; then please do explain why E is the best choice? That way we can have a more productive thread! :panel
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor fi [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 08:15
macjas wrote:
Seems like a lot of you find this one easy; then please do explain why E is the best choice? That way we can have a more productive thread! :panel

..., citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning by workers, and finding that the plans themselves are excessively complex [as in D]

...increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning on the workers' part, and excess complexity in the plans themselves. [As in E]

Clearly in D the three parts are not parallel but that is not the case with E.
This is one of the reason to avoid D.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1300

Kudos [?]: 3682 [4] , given: 185

Re: Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor fi [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi there

Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning by workers, and finding that the plans themselves are excessively complex, the authors of a recent study have found that most eligible American workers had not made the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans.

Error Analysis

1. There are three reasons cited by the “authors” of the study that says that most eligible American workers don’t make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans. These three reasons are:
a. increasing worker mobility between companies,
b. poor financial planning by workers, and
c. finding that the plans themselves are excessively complex.
If we study the structure of these three entities carefully, we will find that the first two are noun entities while the last entity is a clause. This structure makes the list un-parallel.

2. Use of part perfect tense “had not made” is incorrect. The study has found out a fact that should be written in simple present tense. There are no two past events in the sentence that we need sequencing.

PoE:

Choice A: Incorrect for the reasons discussed above.

Choice B: Increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning on the part of workers, and excess complexity in the plans themselves have been explained by a recent study finding the majority of eligible American workers who do not make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans. Incorrect:
1. This choice says that three reasons have been explained by a recent study. It seems to suggest that study has explained these three topics. The choice fails to establish these three factors as the reason for most eligible Americans failing to contribute to their employer-offered retirement plans.
2. The choice also suggests that the study found majority of eligible American workers. This choice distorts the intended meaning.

Choice C: Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor worker financial planning, and excessively complex plans themselves as possible explanations, a majority of American workers had failed to make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans, a recent study has found. Incorrect:
1. This choice has a modifier error. Verb-ing modifier “citing” is illogically modifying “a majority of American workers”. This modifier should modify “a recent study”.
2. Same verb tense error as in choice A.
3. Two independent clauses have been connected using comma.

Choice D: The authors of a recent study, citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning by workers, and finding that the plans themselves are excessively complex, have found that most eligible American workers do not make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans. Incorrect.
1. This choice has changed the intended list. Now “citing” and “finding” have become parallel instead of the three reasons cited by the study.
2. The choice is wordy.

Choice E: A recent study has found that most eligible American workers fail to make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans; among the explanations cited are increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning on the workers' part, and excess complexity in the plans themselves. Correct. This choice is an error free concise choice. This choice has removed “the authors” but that does not hamper the meaning of the sentence. This choice says that the study had found out. It is obvious that has been written by someone. The authors have out the findings into the study. So the study has found implies that the authors of the study has found. The finding of the study is of importance here.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor fi [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 10:52
A: I can't warrant the use of the past perfect
B: the study found the majority of Americans - the wrong meaning
C: again, past and present perfect
Now the difference between D and E is different subjects. "The authors of a study have found" vs "A recent study has found". I got this one wrong. I guess "the authors of a study" is redundant: we shouldn't care about the people behind the study, only results matter. Also, the semicolon makes the better structure of a sentence (but that's just my feeling)
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 06-11-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor fi [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 11:09
My 2 cents...

A is wrong because of this - "and finding that the plans themselves are excessively complex" : This part is not parallel to the
2 earlier portions of the list

and because the order of the sentence is awkward thereby it is a writing style error."The study" which is the main point of the sentence should logically be the subject and the list should be mentioned thereafter with all 3 points being parallel.

E - is concise,logically written and takes care of the above 2 points
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor fi [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 19:57
Here is daagh's excellent explanation:

This is a complex question involving modification and meaning

A Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning by workers, and finding that the plans themselves are excessively complex, the authors of a recent study have found that most eligible American workers had not made the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plan ---Modification is ok. However, the use of past perfect had not made is erroneous. The setting is present tense. So present perfect have not made will be most ideal

B Increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning on the part of workers, and excess complexity in the plans themselves have been explained by a recent study finding the majority of eligible American workers who do not make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans----Meaning change. The study cites and not explains

C Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor worker financial planning, and excessively complex plans themselves as possible explanations, a majority of American workers had failed to make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans, a recent study has found --- who are citing? Not the majority of the workers but the authors of the study; so misplaced modification. After explanations, the authors should come. Another problem is the majority of the workers. The original says the most eligible American workers. Drop it

D The authors of a recent study, citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning by workers, and finding that the plans themselves are excessively complex, have found that most eligible American workers do not make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans.--- Modification is ok but the modifier phrase has serious problem. citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning by workers is an adverbial modifier while finding ( a gerund here) that the plans themselves are excessively complex, is a noun phrase. They are not parallel.

E A recent study has found that most eligible American workers fail to make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans; among the explanations cited are increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning on the workers' part, and excess complexity in the plans themselves. – E is perhaps an escape route from this complex topic. Finding it too hot to handle the topic in a single sentence, the authors have split it into two and somehow got out of it. Still I am not happy because, the choice does not even mention the authors.

I need to brush up on identifying noun forms of verbs!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor [#permalink] New post 26 May 2014, 07:36
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor   [#permalink] 26 May 2014, 07:36