Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618801 [14]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [4]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V32
GRE 1: Q155 V145
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [1]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Citizen of Mooresville: Mooresville’s current city council is having a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Citizen of Mooresville: Mooresville’s current city council is having a ruinous effect on municipal finances. Since a majority of the incumbents are running for reelection, I am going to campaign against all these incumbents in the upcoming city council election. The only incumbent I will support and vote for is the one who represents my own neighborhood, because she has the experience necessary to ensure that our neighborhoods interests are served. If everyone in Mooresville would follow my example, we could substantially change the council’s membership.

Assuming that each citizen of Mooresville is allowed to vote only for a city council representative from his or her own neighborhood, for the council’s membership to be changed substantially, it must be true that

Summary in own words:
The citizen here does not like the current council. And suggests to vote against all current incumbents. He just makes an exception for the incumbent of his own neighbourhood, because she apparently has the necessary experience.
What has to be true, so that plan is most likely to succeed?

(A) at least some other voters in Mooresville do not make the same exception for their own incumbent in the upcoming election
Expl: True. If everyone would make the same exception for an incumbent of his/her own neighbourhood, nothing would change considering the council. Although it could be better if a majority of the other voters do not make the same exception...Keep it for now. Note that a majority includes at least some.
Potential Candidate.

(B) most of the eligible voters in Mooresville vote in the upcoming election
Expl: Just because most eligible people vote, does that not mean the plan will succeed. We want to vote against the current council (with one exception). If all the other voters vote for existing council members, nothing would change.
Incorrect.

(C) few of the incumbents on the Mooresville city council have run for reelection in previous elections
Expl: previous reelections do not play a role if we just want to vote against the existing council.
Incorrect.

(D) all of the seats on the Mooresville city council are filled by incumbents whose terms are expiring
Expl: According to the argument, several incumbents are running for reelection. -> Of course their terms are expiring! But that does not mean at all that the plan is more easier to succeed.
Incorrect.

(E) none of the challengers in the upcoming election for seats on Mooresville’s city council are better able to serve the interests of their neighborhoods than were the incumbents
Expl: If none of the challengers would be better than the current incumbents, people would not vote against the current incumbents. And our plan would not succeed. This is pretty much the opposite of what we seek.
Incorrect.

Although i do not find A a perfect candidate, it is the best of the lot. Mark your answer then. A) it is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Re: Citizen of Mooresville: Mooresville’s current city council is having a [#permalink]
I got it right by the process of elimination, but didn't got the what (A), exactly means. Can someone explain?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Citizen of Mooresville: Mooresville’s current city council is having a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:
I got it right by the process of elimination, but didn't got the what (A), exactly means. Can someone explain?

To understand what (A) means precisely, first take a step back to understand what the passage and question stem tell us:

The citizen speaking is clearly unhappy with the current members of the city council. She's planning on campaigning against every one of the incumbents up for reelection except the member representing her neighborhood.

This citizen claims that if everyone followed her example, the council's membership would change substantially.

If each citizen can ONLY vote for a city council representative from his or her own neighborhood, which answer choice must be true in order for the council’s membership to be changed substantially?

Now let's take a look at what (A) is saying:
Quote:
(A) at least some other voters in Mooresville do not make the same exception for their own incumbent in the upcoming election

The "exception" made by the citizen is that she will support the incumbent from her own neighborhood -- she just wants everyone ELSE to be voted off of the council.

Now, what would happen if all of the other voters made the same "exception" for the city councilperson representing their neighborhoods? Well, then everyone would be campaigning, and voting, for an incumbent! If everyone voted for an incumbent, there wouldn't be any change in the membership of the council.

(A) prevents this situation from happening, so (A) must be true to "substantially change the council's membership".

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Citizen of Mooresville: Mooresvilles current city council is having a [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Citizen of Mooresville: Mooresvilles current city council is having a [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts