Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

City Controller: 63% of our residents voted to approve the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
City Controller: 63% of our residents voted to approve the [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 06:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:18) correct 37% (01:28) wrong based on 135 sessions
City Controller: 63% of our residents voted to approve the developer’s request to build a national chain hotel on
the site of the old consignment store. The hotel will increase our revenue base and, therefore, provide more
money for schools and community services.
Mayor: But our recent survey showed that the most important reason people want to live here is our small-town
feel resulting from the local ownership of the vast majority of businesses.
What is the best explanation for the apparent contradiction in opinions cited by the controller and the mayor?
• Most people believe having a small-town feel is more important than having quality schools.
• A locally-owned business might be able to generate as much revenue as a well-known hotel chain.
• The recent survey did not ask about preferences for a chain hotel versus a locally-owned bed and breakfast.
• An increase in the town’s revenue base may not result in additional money for the schools.
• The recent survey cited by the mayor polled people who are considering moving to the town.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 48

Re: City Controller: 63% of our residents [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
aditi1903 wrote:
City Controller: 63% of our residents voted to approve the developer’s request to build a national chain hotel on
the site of the old consignment store. The hotel will increase our revenue base and, therefore, provide more
Mayor: But our recent survey showed that the most important reason people want to live here is our small-town
What is the best explanation for the apparent contradiction in opinions cited by the controller and the mayor?
• Most people believe having a small-town feel is more important than having quality schools.
• A locally-owned business might be able to generate as much revenue as a well-known hotel chain.
• The recent survey did not ask about preferences for a chain hotel versus a locally-owned bed and breakfast.
• An increase in the town’s revenue base may not result in additional money for the schools.
• The recent survey cited by the mayor polled people who are considering moving to the town.

Most Necessary here is to understand what contradiction is to be solved? -
CC - Our residents say Hotel Chain is Good.

M - Recent survey said people want to live here because of small town feel.

The two are talking about 2 different surveys, we have to find out how?

(A) What most people believe does not help to solve the contradiction here.
(B) Also does not help us to solve any contradiction, it just raises doubt over CC's statement.
(C) Shell GAME Answer - It confuses us by putting -locally-owned bed & breakfast - when Mayor talks only about local ownership, not B & B.
(D) Contradicts just the statement of CC, does not help to answer the contradiction between CC & Mayor's statement.
(E) Bingo!!! IF the Survey by Mayor is taken by people who are yet not residents of the city, but only are considering to move to the city then it solves wat the CC and Mayor are talking about.

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: City Controller: 63% of our residents [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 08:47
aditi1903 wrote:

The city controller approve building hotel that will make the revenues for building school and others public service. However, the mayor said one survey shows that people love ot live in small town than the larger one. The question asked about the explanation between the two contradicted opinions, and choice E is really solve that.

When the people want to live in long time, or even permanently, they will prefer the peaceful one than busied one. In the city controller's thought, he think the customer will want to live in hotel a short time, not long. So, the two groups of people are different. City controller and mayor are arguing in different set of customers.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

VP
VP
Followers: 203

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: City Controller: 63% of our residents voted to approve the [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 13:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: City Controller: 63% of our residents voted to approve the   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2014, 13:23