Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1743
Location: Dhaka
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team, [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 12:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (01:33) correct 25% (00:00) wrong based on 8 sessions
3. Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team, worked steadily and efficiently through the night, but sipping their coffee the next morning, she noticed that he seemed disoriented.
(A) sipping their coffee the next morning, she noticed that he seemed disoriented
(B) sipping their coffee the next morning, he seemed to be disoriented, she noticed
(C) as they sipped their coffee the next morning, she noticed that he seemed disoriented
(D) as they were sipping their coffee the next morning, he seemed, she noticed, disoriented
(E) he seemed disoriented, she noticed, sipping their coffee the next morning
_________________

hey ya......

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Posts: 1128
Location: CA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 15:49
D.

modifying clause (sipping their coffee) in underlined subordinate clause is wrong.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1743
Location: Dhaka
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 14:26
yup OA is C.

but why is D wrong? I don't see anything wrong with D. any taker?
_________________

hey ya......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 254
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 19:57
nakib77 wrote:
yup OA is C.

but why is D wrong? I don't see anything wrong with D. any taker?



in D the tense is mixed up - past continous and past tense

D) as they were sipping their coffee the next morning, he seemed, she noticed, disoriented
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 996
Location: South Korea
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 19:58
hkm_gmat wrote:
nakib77 wrote:
yup OA is C.

but why is D wrong? I don't see anything wrong with D. any taker?



in D the tense is mixed up - past continous and past tense

D) as they were sipping their coffee the next morning, he seemed, she noticed, disoriented


The mixture of past tense and past continous is a problem???
_________________

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 21:05
D is also way too choppy. Try reading it out loud. Too many commas...

Clearly C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Posts: 464
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team, [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 20:07
nakib77 wrote:
3. Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team, worked steadily and efficiently through the night, but sipping their coffee the next morning, she noticed that he seemed disoriented.
(A) sipping their coffee the next morning, she noticed that he seemed disoriented
(B) sipping their coffee the next morning, he seemed to be disoriented, she noticed
(C) as they sipped their coffee the next morning, she noticed that he seemed disoriented
(D) as they were sipping their coffee the next morning, he seemed, she noticed, disoriented
(E) he seemed disoriented, she noticed, sipping their coffee the next morning



The sentence should be consistent on its usage of past tense. "Sipping" makes the action sound like it's currently happening. Hence, eliminate A, B and E.

(D) is weird.. "he seemed, she noticed, disoriented..."

Answer: C

_________________

Impossible is nothing to God.

Re: Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team,   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2013, 20:07
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team, ssandeepan 6 08 Sep 2008, 05:24
Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team, sidbidus 2 10 Jul 2007, 09:02
Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team, binho12 1 09 Oct 2006, 05:08
Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team, rkatl 11 28 Jul 2006, 06:36
Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team, gmacvik 5 16 Jan 2006, 23:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Clark and Florence Wallace, a husband-and-wife medical team,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.