Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Send PM
Re: Is the standard deviation of ages of students in class A greater than [#permalink]
OA is C

My math concepts around statistics and standard deviation are weak. Can you share some resources for improvement?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Re: Is the standard deviation of ages of students in class A greater than [#permalink]
zeenie wrote:
walker wrote:
C

\(SD_A>\sqrt{12}\) and \(SD_B<=\sqrt{6}\)

So, \(SD_A>\sqrt{12}>\sqrt{6}>=SD_B\)

\(SD_A>SD_B\)

Yep. C it is

If More detail is better! :lol: thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sondenso wrote:
If More detail is better! :lol: thanks!

Thanks you, you force me to think more carefully :)

fast (guessing) way: the more is difference between values, the more SD. In other words SD corresponds to dispersion of data. Taking both condition, we can see that dispersion of students of A class is obviously less than that of B class. So, C

usual way:

\(SD=\sqrt{\frac{\sum{(x-x_{av})^2}}{n}}\)

1) first condition says that for class A \(|x_j-x_i|>12\)

Additionally, we can states that minimum SD is (when \(x_{av}\) is evenly between \(x_i\) and \(x_j\))

\(SD_{Amin}>\sqrt{\frac{({x_j}-x_{av})^2+({x_i}-x_{av})^2}{2}}=\sqrt{\frac{6^2+6^2}{2}}=6\)

\(SD_{Amin}>6\)

2) second condition says that for class B \(|x_j-x_i|<=6\)

Additionally, we can states that maximum SD is (when \(x_{av}\) is close to one of \(x_i\) or \(x_j\))

\(SD_{Bmax}<\sqrt{\frac{({x_j}-x_{av})^2+({x_i}-x_{av})^2}{2}}=\sqrt{\frac{6^2+0^2}{2}}=\frac{6}{\sqrt{2}}\)

\(SD_{Bmin}<\frac{6}{\sqrt{2}}\)

1)&2) Combine two conditions:

\(SD_{A}=>SD_{Amin}>6>\frac{6}{\sqrt{2}}>SD_{Bmin}>=SD_{B}\)

\(SD_{A}>SD_{B}\)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
walker wrote:
you force me to think more carefully

:P

Walker, one more: How do you come from "statement1: the difference between the ages of any two students in class A is always more than 1 year" to :
walker wrote:
1) first condition says that for class A
, I mean |xj-xi|>12

One more: :lol: I chose E because I follow one rule from Gmatclub that if we dont know exactly specific each age, we can have no conclusion about SD!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
We have to choose the same units for age to make SD compatible. I choose months and, therefore, |xj-xi|>12

sondenso wrote:
One more: :lol: I chose E because I follow one rule from Gmatclub that if we dont know exactly specific each age, we can have no conclusion about SD!

Think about SD as an average difference between an average value and other data. The problem directly says about differences.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
snoor wrote:
My math concepts around statistics and standard deviation are weak. Can you share some resources for improvement?

I think GMAT is far far away from statistics. For many people who did not study statistics SD seems to be a mysterious feature from very difficult mathematical jungle of statistics. But GMAT does not go so deeply. Think about SD as an average deviation of data from an average value and remember the formula.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [1]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
punyadeep wrote:
Q))
CLASS AVERAGE AGE NO.OF STUDENTS
A 15 YEARS 6
B 16 YEARS 12

Is the standard deviation of ages of students in class A greater than the standard deviation of the age of students in class B ?

(1) The difference between the ages of any two students in class A is always more than 1 year.

(2) No student in class B is more than 6 months older than any other student.

Statement (1) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (2) by itself is not.
Statement (2) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (1) by itself is not.
Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question, even though NEITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient.
EITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question.
Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question, requiring more data pertaining to the problem.

(1) The difference between the ages of any two students in class A is always more than 1 year.
INSUFFICIENT. No mention about class B here.

INSUFFICIENT. No mention about class A here.

Combing both and assuming that both classes have at least 2 students;
We can see that the standard deviation will increase with every student added for class A and the the deviation will decrease with every student added to class B.

Maximum standard deviation for class B can be somewhere around 0.25 years or 3 months and the minimum standard deviation of class B will be somewhere around 0.5 years.

Thus Std Dev(A) > Std Dev(B)

Sufficient.

Ans: "C"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
punyadeep wrote:
Q))
CLASS AVERAGE AGE NO.OF STUDENTS
A 15 YEARS 6
B 16 YEARS 12

Is the standard deviation of ages of students in class A greater than the standard deviation of the age of students in class B ?

Statement (1) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (2) by itself is not.
Statement (2) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (1) by itself is not.
Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question, even though NEITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient.
EITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question.
Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question, requiring more data pertaining to the problem.

C.

Statement 1 alone is not enough. It doesn't give any indication what the differences of ages in class B are.
For example, everyone in class B could be exactly the same age, or everyone in class B could be 2 years apart.

Statement 2 alone is not enough. It doesn't give any indication what the difference of ages in class A are.
Everyone in class A could be exactly the same age, or everyone in class A could be 2 years apart.

If you combine them, you know that A has a significantly larger standard deviation in ages.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1173 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
A - a1, a2, a3,a4,a5,a6

Total A = 90

a1-a2 > 12 months and so on, but no information about B, so insufficient.

B - b1,b2,b3,b4,b5... b12

Total B = 192

b1-b2 <= 6 month , but no information a bout A, so insufficient

From (1) and (2) together, the difference between elements of set A is > the difference between elements of Set B, and the denominator in A is < the denominator in set B for the Std Dev formula.

=> Std Dev A > Std Dev B

So answer - C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
standard deviation is the underroot of the (sum of squares of the difference b/w the quantity and the mean divided by the no of quantities).
now since the statement 1 doesnt mentions abt B and stat. 2 doesnt mentions abt A. hence they both are insufficient.

on combining the two statements do we get the full information to make a comparison?
YES.

also keep in mind that the diff b/w the mean and the quantity in B wud always be less than 1 and therefore its square wud be much more smaller. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
Question: Is SD(A) > SD(B)?

Statement 1: No mention of students in class B. Thus INSUFFICIENT

Statement 2: No mention of students in class A. Thus INSUFFICIENT

Combining the two statements, we can see that the difference between the ages of two students in class A is considerably larger than the difference between the ages of any two students of class B.
As we know that SD is a measure of the compactness within the elements of a set, we can infer that the elements of Set A are more dispersed than are the elements of Set B. Thus, we know that SD (A) > SD (B). SUFFICIENT.

Answer: C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts