Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72869 [6]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Class of 2015 - How is Job Search Going? [#permalink]
Kudos
BrainFog wrote:
crackHSW wrote:

Looks like everyone has offers. I would like to hear from others who already have a job or are looking for FT roles in the e-commerce/retail analytics domain. I am an international and needless to say things are not as rosy as projected on the glossy brochures of B-Schools :-D :-D. Share your experience!!!

Hi crackHSW, I'm an international myself and would love to hear what kind of issues you faced while looking for a job and what would you advise to prospective international candidates who can't think of any other way to win the world other than a U.S. MBA? Who think endless opportunities would open up once you do an MBA from the U.S.

And thank you the thread BB, really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Thats a good question!! I have faced all sorts of issues and the prominent ones are listed below

1) Most of the consulting companies and I banks do not recruit internationals. If you happen to get into really good schools ie top 7 I think you would at least get interviews, but that's about it. Most of the companies need prior US experience. I had hard time explaining to recruiters my UK experience :shock: :shock:

2) Your options are limited by your prior work experience. Its really difficult to get everything off your resume from your pre MBA job/s. So , in case you are planning to switch industries , be prepared to highlight the transferable skill set and this requires numerous iterations.

3) Personal networking is by the far the most superior way of getting jobs. I was somehow able to get a decent internship , but with internships firms are experimenting with you and really don't worry about sponsorship. The full time hunt is different beast all together. I have been told numerous times for my full time hunt that skillset is not a hurdle, but sponsorship is.

I am open to move back to my home country , but things are difficult for FT international students. You have to work really hard and smart to get to know the right people.

Hope this is helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Send PM
Class of 2015 - How is Job Search Going? [#permalink]
I am working in a tech company in silicon valley and I am in H1B now. I am thinking of doing MBA after gaining some experience.
Reading in various forums it seems like its difficult for international students doing MBA to get jobs in tech companies. Is that true?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
If you are an engineer or have a very technical background it is not that difficult to get a sponsorship.

The fact that you already have an H1B visa is great news. That means that you will not count in the cap when you re-apply to the H1B or transfer it to another company (even if you get an H1B after your MBA). This puts in in a position of advantage when compared to other international students applying for the same job.

Some startups and tech companies are recruiting through platforms that don't discriminate internationals. My advice is to try that. One example is the company that I found my MBA internship through: pymetrics.

https://bit.ly/1JxEviS

Good luck in your search and let me know if you have any questions. I had an H1B prior to my MBA, and will likely get another one when I graduate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Great topic, but unfortunately with little discussion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Thanks BB, really appreciates it
GMAT Club Bot