Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
i see. so is everybody on "even playing field" or some others might benefit a lot more from a more business oriented background?
Current Student
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
shaselai wrote:
i see. so is everybody on "even playing field" or some others might benefit a lot more from a more business oriented background?

It is an "even playing field" in the sense that you will be exposed to the same kinds of experiences in b-school; what you make of it is up to you. That said, it's not an even playing field as far as recruiting is concerned, in the sense that your prior experience will matter a LOT when it comes to recruiting time.
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Re: [#permalink]
milias wrote:
shaselai wrote:

It is an "even playing field" in the sense that you will be exposed to the same kinds of experiences in b-school; what you make of it is up to you. That said, it's not an even playing field as far as recruiting is concerned, in the sense that your prior experience will matter a LOT when it comes to recruiting time.

but arent many people using B-school as a bridge to switch careers(i heard ~50%)? So for example if I am in IT and I want to switch to IB( i am not) and I take IB courses. So come recruiting time my chances are not very good at all compared to someone who was in finance position?

And how are the classes you are taking? some schools i seen have GPA system while some dont(like Yale) - does it matter a whole lot?
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Re: [#permalink]
shaselai wrote:
but arent many people using B-school as a bridge to switch careers(i heard ~50%)? So for example if I am in IT and I want to switch to IB( i am not) and I take IB courses. So come recruiting time my chances are not very good at all compared to someone who was in finance position?

It's true that many people who go to b-school are career switchers, myself included. But try to see it from the recruiter's point of view. Would you hire someone with b-school experience alone, or would you rather hire someone with b-school experience and prior work experience in the relevant field(s)? I'm not saying that it can't be done, but you would be at a disadvantage vs. someone else with prior experience, all else being equal. That's just a fact of life.

Things that you can do to help your situation are internships, club involvement, networking, and classes.

shaselai wrote:
And how are the classes you are taking? some schools i seen have GPA system while some dont(like Yale) - does it matter a whole lot?

I'm not in b-school yet. I will be starting at Ross this fall.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
Re: Classes at B-school [#permalink]
refurb wrote:
My own personal experience at Tuck:

- the material covered is not difficult
- juggling the AMOUNT of work you have to do is difficult
- grades don't matter at all, learn what you want to learn
- classes are a very small part of what you should get out of b-school, networking is #1

Your mileage may vary.

RF

Happy to see some active Tuckies on this board. I would second Refurb on this, most important is to to spend a maximum of time upfront to understand what you'd like to do post-MBA, then dive into networking, list of companies, contacts, interview preparation. The most difficult part is to understand that most of the classes (except a few core ones) are interesting but won't matter much in terms of your placement post-MBA...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Classes at B-school [#permalink]