Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 03:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 22:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:31) wrong based on 1 sessions
214.Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first from ordinary fluctuations in the weather.

(A) so gradual as to be indistinguishable
(B) so gradual they can be indistinguishable
(C) so gradual that they are unable to be distinguished
(D) gradual enough not to be distinguishable
(E) gradual enough so that one cannot distinguish them
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 179
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: SC214 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 07:01
214.Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first from ordinary fluctuations in the weather.

(A) so gradual as to be indistinguishable
(B) so gradual they can be indistinguishable
(C) so gradual that they are unable to be distinguished
(D) gradual enough not to be distinguishable
(E) gradual enough so that one cannot distinguish them


A and C both using ok idioms.
so X that Y
so X as Y

Between them, C is wordy "unable to be distinguished"=> indistinguishable.
Also you typically don't refer to climatic shifts as "they"

Hence pick A.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1580
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC214 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 07:25
I will go with C as OG explains that GMAT does not prefer so X as to Y structure.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 179
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: SC214 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 07:33
You need to apply the GMAT rules "BASED" on ANSWER choices.
Keep/Discard choices based on STRICT grammar rules not PREFERRED rules.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 432
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC214 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 08:00
Between A and C, I'll go with A

Agree with the above explanation that C is wordy and 'they' seems awkward

Cheers,
Unplugged
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Posts: 652
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC214 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 11:49
scthakur wrote:
I will go with C as OG explains that GMAT does not prefer so X as to Y structure.


Agreed with you, so X as to Y is wrong idiom but So X as to be Y is idiomatic on GMAT. Hence A is the best.
_________________

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC214 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 20:51
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
scthakur wrote:
I will go with C as OG explains that GMAT does not prefer so X as to Y structure.


Agreed with you, so X as to Y is wrong idiom but So X as to be Y is idiomatic on GMAT. Hence A is the best.


OG says "so X as Y" is used in negative sentence, that is "NOT so X as Y" is idiom. But 1000SC recorded that OA is A. I doubt the OA
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Posts: 652
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC214 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 21:42
sondenso wrote:
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
scthakur wrote:
I will go with C as OG explains that GMAT does not prefer so X as to Y structure.


Agreed with you, so X as to Y is wrong idiom but So X as to be Y is idiomatic on GMAT. Hence A is the best.


OG says "so X as Y" is used in negative sentence, that is "NOT so X as Y" is idiom. But 1000SC recorded that OA is A. I doubt the OA


Actually GMAT contradicts itself on the use of "So X as to Y" construction.

The OG makes the claim that “the construction 'so X as to Y' is not a correct idiom” (OG #33, 11th edition) in connection with the following sentence:
"... so debilitating is it as to become an economic drain"

However, the wholesale rejection of "so X as to Y" is plainly unjustified, as can be seen from the perfectly correct sentences:
- Would you be so kind as to tell me the time? (Swan, "Practical English Usage," Oxford University Press 2005, p. 539)
- Its smell was so foul as to make a lady faint.

The GMAT itself violates the suspect “rule” against the idiom "so X as to Y":
"The Emperor Augustus, it appears, commissioned an idealized sculpture portrait, the features of which are so unrealistic as to constitute what one scholar calls an 'artificial face.'" (OG #88, 10th edition, answer choice A)

So what we will do?? :shock:
_________________

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 439 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC214 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 22:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
Actually GMAT contradicts itself on the use of "So X as to Y" construction.

The OG makes the claim that “the construction 'so X as to Y' is not a correct idiom” (OG #33, 11th edition) in connection with the following sentence:
"... so debilitating is it as to become an economic drain"

However, the wholesale rejection of "so X as to Y" is plainly unjustified, as can be seen from the perfectly correct sentences:
- Would you be so kind as to tell me the time? (Swan, "Practical English Usage," Oxford University Press 2005, p. 539)
- Its smell was so foul as to make a lady faint.

The GMAT itself violates the suspect “rule” against the idiom "so X as to Y":
"The Emperor Augustus, it appears, commissioned an idealized sculpture portrait, the features of which are so unrealistic as to constitute what one scholar calls an 'artificial face.'" (OG #88, 10th edition, answer choice A)

So what we will do?? :shock:


This is what my understanding about so X as to Y.

so X as to Y -- is correct idiom when X --> just an adjective. Y -- verb ( be form)

So gradual as to be.. --> correct

"... so debilitating is it as to become an economic drain" --> OG says incorrect idiom because "is it" wrongly placed after debilitating
" it is so debilitating as to become an economic drain" --> would have been right.
Would you be so [u]kind [/u]as to tell me the time? (Swan, "Practical English Usage," Oxford University Press 2005, p. 539)
--> this is also perfect adj=kind verb=tell.



another example.
he is so tall as to reach
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC214 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 22:29
Great reference and explaination, priyankur_saha@ml.com and x2suresh!

I think the problem here is the use of verb "unable". I have checked the Longman dic and I genererlized that "unable" is used for "human" rather than "things", right? need some strong reasons! guys!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1300
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC214 [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 02:16
Is 'to be indistinguishable' verb here?
x2suresh wrote:
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
Actually GMAT contradicts itself on the use of "So X as to Y" construction.

The OG makes the claim that “the construction 'so X as to Y' is not a correct idiom” (OG #33, 11th edition) in connection with the following sentence:
"... so debilitating is it as to become an economic drain"

However, the wholesale rejection of "so X as to Y" is plainly unjustified, as can be seen from the perfectly correct sentences:
- Would you be so kind as to tell me the time? (Swan, "Practical English Usage," Oxford University Press 2005, p. 539)
- Its smell was so foul as to make a lady faint.

The GMAT itself violates the suspect “rule” against the idiom "so X as to Y":
"The Emperor Augustus, it appears, commissioned an idealized sculpture portrait, the features of which are so unrealistic as to constitute what one scholar calls an 'artificial face.'" (OG #88, 10th edition, answer choice A)

So what we will do?? :shock:


This is what my understanding about so X as to Y.

so X as to Y -- is correct idiom when X --> just an adjective. Y -- verb ( be form)

So gradual as to be.. --> correct

"... so debilitating is it as to become an economic drain" --> OG says incorrect idiom because "is it" wrongly placed after debilitating
" it is so debilitating as to become an economic drain" --> would have been right.
Would you be so [u]kind [/u]as to tell me the time? (Swan, "Practical English Usage," Oxford University Press 2005, p. 539)
--> this is also perfect adj=kind verb=tell.



another example.
he is so tall as to reach
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 432
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC214 [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 03:39
@Ritula,
'to be' is the verb; 'indistinguishable' is the adjective

@sondenso,

I don't think 'unable' is used only for humans or living things. For ex:- 'The truck was unable to pull the load' is correct

I think C is wrong also because, 'unable' is always accompanied by 'to' and then the verb in first form comes. 'Be', even though in first form, never appears after 'unable to'. We normally say 'they are unable to do it', 'He is unable to get in'

I can't think of any sentence that has 'be' after 'unable to'.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Unplugged
Re: SC214   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2009, 03:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at Hindustan 12 04 Oct 2006, 14:15
1 Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at gmacvik 20 16 Jan 2006, 23:11
Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at bryan_al 3 09 Dec 2005, 00:15
Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at nakib77 5 26 Oct 2005, 12:07
Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at okdongdong 5 22 Jul 2005, 05:19
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.