Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
WE:Research (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Schools: (S)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
Send PM
Re: Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans water [#permalink]
gb8 wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 283
Page: 270

Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.

(A) Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.

(B) Clouds form by the Sun’s warmth evaporating the water in the oceans, which rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.

(C) Warmed by the Sun, ocean water evaporates, rises high into the atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust to form clouds.

(D) The water in the oceans evaporates, warmed by the Sun, rises high into the atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust, which forms clouds.

(E) Ocean water, warmed by the Sun, evaporates and rises high into the atmosphere, which then condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust to form as clouds.

Hi GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo VeritasKarishma

Although I got this question correct, I have a doubt regarding option E. Only reason to eliminate option E is that - relative modifier which illogically modifies atmosphere.

But as per my knowledge 'which' can modify a noun away from it (exception to touch rule). Then why it cannot modify Ocean water in this case?

Please correct my conceptual gap. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Patilsv28 on 07 Aug 2020, 22:46.
Last edited by Patilsv28 on 07 Aug 2020, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
GMATNinja wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:
When I read option C I read it like this :-

Oceans water evaporates,
oceans water rises high in the atmosphere and
oceans water condenses

And hence to me it didn't make sense for the ocean's water itself to rise high in the atmosphere. Isn't that an argument or I am missing something?

Kindly advise.

It wouldn't make sense for LIQUID water to rise high in the atmosphere. But it makes perfect sense for water to rise in atmosphere as a GAS.

Water can exist in various forms: solid (ice), liquid, or gas (vapor). Although the form of the water changes throughout the process, it's still water!

GMATNinja
I think, ocean water doesn't rise high into the atmosphere directly; it warmed by the Sun first and then it rises high into the atmosphere.
Am I right?
svasan05 wrote:
Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.

(B) Clouds form by the Sun’s warmth evaporating the water in the oceans, which rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust. "which" incorrectly modifies "oceans". It is not the oceans that rise into the atmosphere but the water. Eliminate.

svasan05
Thanks for the support.
'which' can jump on the prepositional phrase. So, we can say that there is no issue with use of 'which' in choice B, because 'which' can indicate 'water' too. Most importantly, 'rises' is the singular verb, so we can think of the 'subject-verb' (the water rises) agreement perfectly makes sense.
Can you share your logic about how did you think that 'which' modifies 'oceans'?
Thanks__
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:
When I read option C I read it like this :-

Oceans water evaporates,
oceans water rises high in the atmosphere and
oceans water condenses

And hence to me it didn't make sense for the ocean's water itself to rise high in the atmosphere. Isn't that an argument or I am missing something?

Kindly advise.

It wouldn't make sense for LIQUID water to rise high in the atmosphere. But it makes perfect sense for water to rise in atmosphere as a GAS.

Water can exist in various forms: solid (ice), liquid, or gas (vapor). Although the form of the water changes throughout the process, it's still water!

GMATNinja
I think, ocean water doesn't rise high into the atmosphere directly; it warmed by the Sun first and then it rises high into the atmosphere.
Am I right?

Yes! The liquid ocean water is warmed by the sun, causing it to evaporate (turn into water vapor, which is a gaseous state) and rise high into the atmosphere.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 232
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V30
Send PM
GMATNinja
(A) Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust. red part acts as parallelism. yellow part modifies the whole sentence

(C) Warmed by the Sun, ocean water evaporates, rises high into the atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust to form clouds.
I am not able to find the working verb in option C that is my biggest problem with choice
therefore I choose option A I am not able to find where I am wrong I do agree option C has no parallel issues but the working verb bothers me.
Quote:

(A) Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.

(D) The water in the oceans evaporates, warmed by the Sun, rises high into the atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust, which forms clouds.

Hello Experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, VeritasPrepHailey, AndrewN
It's hard to digest the meaning of the correct choice C! Should I consider the whole sentence is the list of 3 items of the action(evaporates, rises, and condenses)? Or, should I consider the 'rises high into the atmosphere' is the modification of 'ocean water evaporates'? It seems they are the items of 3 actions. But, what role the 'warmed by the Sun' part play in choice D? Is it modifier? If this one is the modifier, and if we withdraw that part (with COMMA), then the reaming part could be:

^^
(D) The water in the oceans evaporates (without comma) rises high into the atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust, which forms clouds.
Two verbs trying to be the verb at a time of one subject! so, that seems wrong. This one is my explanation.
Q: How can we remove (other than WHICH part) choice D? Can you share your own thought, please?

Thanks in Advanced...
AndrewN wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Quote:

Hello Experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, VeritasPrepHailey, AndrewN
It's hard to digest the meaning of the correct choice C! Should I consider the whole sentence is the list of 3 items of the action(evaporates, rises, and condenses)? Or, should I consider the 'rises high into the atmosphere' is the modification of 'ocean water evaporates'? It seems they are the items of 3 actions. But, what role the 'warmed by the Sun' part play in choice D? Is it modifier? If this one is the modifier, and if we withdraw that part (with COMMA), then the reaming part could be:

^^
(D) The water in the oceans evaporates (without comma) rises high into the atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust, which forms clouds.
Two verbs trying to be the verb at a time of one subject! so, that seems wrong. This one is my explanation.
Q: How can we remove (other than WHICH part) choice D? Can you share your own thought, please?

Thanks in Advanced...

Good questions, TheUltimateWinner. I also see (C) as a list, for the reason you provided. If the second verb were turned into rising instead, then it would indeed be serving as a modifier, but since it is conjugated the same way as evaporates and condenses, we are left with a list. In (D), warmed by the sun is logically modifying the water, jumping over the prepositional phrase and verb. It would be better placed before the verb, though, for clarity, rather than disrupting the list of actions. Consider:

The water in the oceans, warmed by the Sun, evaporates, rises high into the atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust, which forms clouds.

Yes, we still have that which clause at the end, but if I have come up with a reason to doubt the placement of a phrase in (D), and my altered sentence better resembles (C), then I will only feel more confident getting behind the harder-to-argue-against answer in (C).

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew

AndrewN
Thanks for the feedback.
You make me confused :) by the highlighted part. It seems that the highlighted part does not work! If we put the 'warmed by the Sun' part before the verb (evaporates), it essentially means that 'warmed by the Sun' part is going to modify only 'The water in the oceans'. Now we can ask questions like:
warmed by the Sun what? It is actually-warmed by the Sun The water in the oceans. Right? But, why did we use the word 'warm'? Actually, 'warm' is connected with the verb 'evaporates'. So, we must keep the modifier after 'evaporates' or before 'The water in the oceans (good version: ocean water)'. I don't know that i missed anything.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
AndrewN
Thanks for the feedback.
You make me confused :) by the highlighted part. It seems that the highlighted part does not work! If we put the 'warmed by the Sun' part before the verb (evaporates), it essentially means that 'warmed by the Sun' part is going to modify only 'The water in the oceans'. Now we can ask questions like:
warmed by the Sun what? It is actually-warmed by the Sun The water in the oceans. Right? But, why did we use the word 'warm'? Actually, 'warm' is connected with the verb 'evaporates'. So, we must keep the modifier after 'evaporates' or before 'The water in the oceans (good version: ocean water)'. I don't know that i missed anything.

Apologies for the confusion, but I am sorry to say that your understanding is incorrect on this one. The highlighted part would work just fine. It is water that is warmed by the Sun and subsequently evaporates (and does other things), similar to saying, Because the water in the ocean is warmed by the Sun, some water evaporates... I would argue that although the placement of the phrase is flexible, putting it after the first verb in an interrupted three-verb list is less clear than keeping the three verbs together.

If some other Expert wishes to comment on the issue, I would be happy to hear him or her out. You asked how to cast doubt on (D) without referring to the which clause, so I answered with that request in mind. If you have your own answers already, then it begs the question, why ask for the input of others? (It seems you have made up your mind as to what the sentence needs to say.)

- Andrew
AndrewN wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
AndrewN
Thanks for the feedback.

Apologies for the confusion, but I am sorry to say that your understanding is incorrect on this one. The highlighted part would work just fine. It is water that is warmed by the Sun and subsequently evaporates (and does other things), similar to saying, Because the water in the ocean is warmed by the Sun, some water evaporates... I would argue that although the placement of the phrase is flexible, putting it after the first verb in an interrupted three-verb list is less clear than keeping the three verbs together.

If some other Expert wishes to comment on the issue, I would be happy to hear him or her out. You asked how to cast doubt on (D) without referring to the which clause, so I answered with that request in mind. If you have your own answers already, then it begs the question, why ask for the input of others? (It seems you have made up your mind as to what the sentence needs to say.)

- Andrew

Hi,
I have explained above why do I think the choice D is wrong, but my reasoning may not be correct-I'm confused in this type of modifier (warmed by the Sun).
GMATGuruNY wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
How can we remove (other than WHICH part) choice D?

OA: Warmed by the sun, ocean water evaporates, rises, and condenses.
Here, the four colored actions are presented in a logical sequence.
First, the water is WARMED.
Then, the water EVAPORATES, RISES and CONDENSES.
The implication is that the incipient green action leads to the three subsequent blue actions.

D: The water in the oceans evaporates, warmed by the Sun, rises, and condenses.
Here, the four colored actions are presented OUT OF SEQUENCE, with the incipient red action inserted inexplicably between the first two blue actions.
As a result, the intended meaning -- that the incipient red action leads to the three subsequent blue actions -- is not conveyed.
Since the ordering in D is illogical, eliminate D and choose C.

GMATGuruNY
kudos for the nice explanation.
So, can we think of the following happen by the above explanation?
Quote:

1/ Warmed by the sun, ocean water evaporates
2/ Warmed by the sun, ocean water rises
3/ Warmed by the sun, ocean water condenses

Quote:

1/ warmed by the Sun, The water in the oceans evaporates
2/ The water in the oceans rises
3/ The water in the oceans condenses
Am I missing anything?
GMATGuruNY wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Here, the four colored actions are presented in a logical sequence.
First, the water is WARMED.
Then, the water EVAPORATES, RISES and CONDENSES.
The implication is that the incipient green action leads to the three subsequent blue actions.

Here, the four colored actions are presented OUT OF SEQUENCE, with the incipient red action inserted inexplicably between the first two blue actions.
As a result, the intended meaning -- that the incipient red action leads to the three subsequent blue actions -- is not conveyed.
Since the ordering in D is illogical, eliminate D and choose C.

GMATGuruNY
kudos for the nice explanation.
So, can we think of the following happen by the above explanation?
Quote:

1/ Warmed by the sun, ocean water evaporates
2/ Warmed by the sun, ocean water rises
3/ Warmed by the sun, ocean water condenses

Quote:

1/ warmed by the Sun, The water in the oceans evaporates
2/ The water in the oceans rises
3/ The water in the oceans condenses
Am I missing anything?

Quote:

Two verbs trying to be the verb at a time of one subject! so, that seems wrong. This one is my explanation

This line of reasoning is invalid.
It presupposes that -- if we remove the nonessential warmed-modifier from D -- we must also remove the comma that directly follows this modifier.
Not so.

SC100 in the OG12:
Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.
Here, if we remove the nonessential modifier in blue, we must retain the comma that follows this modifier, as follows:
Like the planets, the stars are in motion, but they are so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.
Even when the nonessential blue modifier is omitted, the comma immediately before but must be retained.

Similarly:
If remove the nonessential warmed-modifier from D, we must retain the comma directly before rises, as follows:
The water in the oceans evaporates, rises high into the atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.
The resulting structure is not invalid.
D can be eliminated primarily for its illogical sequence and for its misuse of which.

Thanks for the feedback, awesome.
GMATGuruNY
Sir,
For the use of fanboys the highlighted part is ok for sure, but for the following sentence that does not make sense to me! I need to have a strong clarification on this issue, because I am facing so many problems on this sorta question.

Mr. X devoured his lunch, crunching loudly, and fell asleep.
^^
If we remove the modifier (crunching loudly) with COMMA, which has been kept after 'lunch' then we've the following one.

Mr. X devoured his lunch, crunching loudly, and fell asleep.
--> Mr. X devoured his lunch, and fell asleep.
^^ This sentence does not make sense at all! But, if we remove both COMMA then it should make sense, right?
--> Mr. X devoured his lunch and fell asleep.

Ron has discussed the use of COMMA in modifier in his study hall 'Thursdays with Ron'. I've attached a screenshot where Ron said we need to keep/remove both COMMA when considering modifier.
Attachments

Usage of COMMA in modifier by Ron Purewal.PNG
Usage of COMMA in modifier by Ron Purewal.PNG [ 178.81 KiB | Viewed 2658 times ]

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
bond001 wrote:
GMATNinja
(A) Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust. red part acts as parallelism. yellow part modifies the whole sentence

I am not able to find the working verb in option C that is my biggest problem with choice
therefore I choose option A I am not able to find where I am wrong I do agree option C has no parallel issues but the working verb bothers me.

There are actually three working verbs that go with the subject of (C). The subject is "ocean water," and the verbs are "evaporates," "rises," and "condenses." It's totally fine to have more than one working verb in a sentence -- here, the three actions are all directly tied to the subject.

I hope that helps a bit!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hey GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AndrewN and other members.

In option A, what do you all think about "oceans’ water". It sounds like the ocean is somehow in possession of the water or somehow owns the water. Is this correct?

Of course, I understand that there are other issues with A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
gb8 wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 283
Page: 270

Between (C) and (D)

(B) Clouds form by the Sun’s warmth evaporating the water in the oceans, which rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.

Correct sequence. 3 actions occur TO FORM clouds. "To" here isn't used to show intention (not 100% of the time)

"warmed by the sun" does it modify "the water in the oceans evaporates" or "rises high into the atmosphere?" - need to be careful when modifier is placed in between 2 things.

Also, does "which" modify dust or particles of dust (if particles, SV error)? Either way, illogical.

(E) Ocean water, warmed by the Sun, evaporates and rises high into the atmosphere, which then condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust to form as clouds.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
bond001 wrote:
GMATNinja

There are actually three working verbs that go with the subject of (C). The subject is "ocean water," and the verbs are "evaporates," "rises," and "condenses." It's totally fine to have more than one working verb in a sentence -- here, the three actions are all directly tied to the subject.

I hope that helps a bit!

GMATNinja KarishmaB

Bit confused, "rises" is verb for the subject ocean water. How can water rise in the atmosphere.
Refer to the comment of GMATNinja

"In B, "which" can modify - "oceans or water". It can't modify oceans. I am not sure whether it is correct to say water rises in atmosphere, but the correct option has the construction - " evaporates, rises high into the atmosphere" can be say " rises high into the atmosphere" is wrongly modifying "evaporates"? since modifiers are placed closest to the word it is modifying, and hence becomes adverb in this case. However, meaning is incorrect "

Wont the same rationale apply to option C.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rickooreo wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
bond001 wrote:
GMATNinja

I hope that helps a bit!

GMATNinja KarishmaB

Bit confused, "rises" is verb for the subject ocean water. How can water rise in the atmosphere.
Refer to the comment of GMATNinja

"In B, "which" can modify - "oceans or water". It can't modify oceans. I am not sure whether it is correct to say water rises in atmosphere, but the correct option has the construction - " evaporates, rises high into the atmosphere" can be say " rises high into the atmosphere" is wrongly modifying "evaporates"? since modifiers are placed closest to the word it is modifying, and hence becomes adverb in this case. However, meaning is incorrect "

Wont the same rationale apply to option C.

Hello Rickooreo,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the intended meaning here is that the water evaporates due to the sun's heat and then rises as water vapor.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans water [#permalink]
Hey experts,

Could you please help me with option A? I am not unable to understand the exact reasoning behind it. Can we eliminate it basis that ,condensing refers back to main subject clouds which is an error. Can ,condensing refer back to oceans' water? Is there a rule that ,verb-ing will refer back to subject of main clause?

KarishmaB AndrewN ExpertsGlobal5
GMAT Club Bot
Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans water [#permalink]
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts