Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [3]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 2.3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Clueless [#permalink]
Kudos
rachitakapoor wrote:
Hello GC members!

Gave my GMAT yesterday and am disappointed, disheartened and every possible word that has a prefix 'dis'. I got a very low score of 400 (Q-13, V-29), a score that I got in my diagnostic even before beginning my prep :( I'm in desperate need of guidance and help on my retake that I'm planning to schedule for June-July 2013.

I'd never got this low a score on quants and just went blank during the exam. Even though I tried talking to myself to keep calm, I was unable to do so. My mock scores ranged from 530-650 during the course of my prep. Need words of wisdom on my retake strategy and stamina building techniques.

Thanks in advance!

As far as Stamina building techniques go, Check these out :

Effective Study Techniques:

Before You Start
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... #more-3687
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... iers-make/

Make a Study Plan
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... an-part-1/
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... an-part-2/
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ice-tests/

At the end of your prep
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... an-part-1/
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ew-part-2/

Stress Management:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... #more-2390
https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/m ... niques.cfm
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/overcome-g ... y-breathe/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/beating-gmat-stress/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/guest-post ... rs-30-min/

Time Management:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... nt-part-1/
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... nt-part-2/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Take a deep breath and relax. you can't change what had happened already. But you can change what happens next time. Think of this as a learning experience. GMAT is a difficult test.. and sometimes people wiht high mock marks score very low while people with low mock test marks scores really high.

What you need to do is, stop feeling down on yourself! Pick yourself up and figure out where you need to start.

What did you have the most difficulty in the test? what baffled you? start by reviewing those subjects.

Cheer up !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FC2012 wrote:
Take a deep breath and relax. you can't change what had happened already. But you can change what happens next time. Think of this as a learning experience. GMAT is a difficult test.. and sometimes people wiht high mock marks score very low while people with low mock test marks scores really high.

What you need to do is, stop feeling down on yourself! Pick yourself up and figure out where you need to start.

What did you have the most difficulty in the test? what baffled you? start by reviewing those subjects.

Cheer up !

Thanks For the motivation FC! My issue is that I get crack with the time pressure and just forget what concept to apply where. That especially happens with word problems. Also I'm looking for some help on a study plan that I can stick to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
rachitakapoor wrote:
FC2012 wrote:

Cheer up !

Thanks For the motivation FC! My issue is that I get crack with the time pressure and just forget what concept to apply where. That especially happens with word problems. Also I'm looking for some help on a study plan that I can stick to.

Can u tell us how were your feelings when u were answering questions in xam? I need to understand was only nerves that killed u or even skills as well?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
well... i don't have a study plan.. but tell you what.. would you be my study buddy so to speak? to keep each other on track each day? come up with questions and problems each day that are challenging and we will get through it together? tell me your progress and we will keep each other on focus...

I actually used to barf when i take tests and i had horrible grades in highschool... but look.. i got pass university :) got a science degree and about to finish my masters in science this dec/january... the fact is.. if a dummy like me can do that.. anything is possible

whenever i get super stressed.. i close my eyes... and take a deep breath through my nose and exhale... that usually throws me right bac into focus.. you came this far because you have the will and the motivation to succeed.. and trust me... not giving up and keep working hard will get you that reward!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FC2012 wrote:
well... i don't have a study plan.. but tell you what.. would you be my study buddy so to speak? to keep each other on track each day? come up with questions and problems each day that are challenging and we will get through it together? tell me your progress and we will keep each other on focus...

I actually used to barf when i take tests and i had horrible grades in highschool... but look.. i got pass university :) got a science degree and about to finish my masters in science this dec/january... the fact is.. if a dummy like me can do that.. anything is possible

whenever i get super stressed.. i close my eyes... and take a deep breath through my nose and exhale... that usually throws me right bac into focus.. you came this far because you have the will and the motivation to succeed.. and trust me... not giving up and keep working hard will get you that reward!

Hey FC! (sounds weird calling you that)
How do you intend to work out this study buddy thingy? Sounds interesting though but just wondering about the feasibility. Btw, is this your first attempt or a retake?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
I am no expert. But here are my two cents:

1. Your name suggests you're Indian. I would suggest brushing up on all the basic formulae from 8th grade math. The GMAT does not normally require complex formulae but in crunch situations they might help you.

2. You can go through all the threads on gmatclub to get an idea of trick questions. eg: In traditional Indian school math, one equation two unknowns means that the values of the unknowns cannot be found. But the same may not be the case with the GMAT. You can follow Bunuel. His/her solutions are simply amazing.

3. You can take all the gmatclub CAT tests as well. They helped me a lot. There are also links to free CAT tests on other sites. Just make sure that you do not take them lightly and try to mimic the real test atmosphere when you take them.

Finally the most important bit is practice practice practice. Try to take atleast 5 or 6 different CAT tests before the actual GMAT. You definitely wont be seeing any of the questions on your practice test on your actual GMAT but these tests help to get your mind into GMAT mode.

All the best for your preparations and GMAT.. :)

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

MacFauz... Yes, I'm an Indian. Thanks for all the tips... I see your profile speaks about an awesome score! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
einsteinelbert wrote:
rachitakapoor wrote:
FC2012 wrote:

Cheer up !

Can u tell us how were your feelings when u were answering questions in xam? I need to understand was only nerves that killed u or even skills as well?

Hi einstein!

I encountered a few medium level questions at the beginning of the quants section. Then came the bouncer! I came across a question which I didn't even know how to interpret and got extremely nervous and went blank... Blank to the extent that I don't even remember which concept was the question testing. From thereon, I got a couple of tough questions and then way too easy ones. That's when it dawned upon me that I'd screwed it up royally! :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
well this is what we can do. you have difficulties, i have diffculites. the good thing is there is a forum for us to use.

EAch week... we will set a goal ie.. this week i want to get through number properties book in mGMAT.. as we progres through the week.. you can post questions and cool concept that you encountered through out your studies.. and we can work through them together at the end of the week. and explain to each other over forum here.. or in PM.

the point is to hold each other accountable.. studying is one of the least 5 enjoyable thing to do in this world..we learn the most through communication.. and i bet you that you will kick my butt in certain areas and i will be able to understand a little better in others. My thinking is... if we make each other accountable "ie. you told me that u will get through number properties with me this week.. i better get through it too so on a weekend .. we can chat about it... and i would know my stuff."

We can also encourage each other and keep each other on pace.. i am sure u have a deadline as to when u want to write it.. sometimes.. a companion can help you get throug hthe toughest journey... this looks like a tough test.. and i feel that i need someone who has the same aspiration as me to journey through it.

This is my first attempt.. but i studied for the MCAT before this way and it helped me alot because even though i mentally think i understand a concept... i find that i have a good fee lof whether i know it or i am lying to myself when i explain it to someone else..

do you use messenger or something? maybe we can touch base there?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
I am no expert. But here are my two cents:
You can follow Bunuel. His/her solutions are simply amazing.

I agree with MacFauz that Bunuels solutions in quant are amazing. He is very responsive too if you hit a wall in QUANT. Don't give up and I am in the same boat. I am still trying to get over 600 at the moment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Can u tell us how were your feelings when u were answering questions in xam? I need to understand was only nerves that killed u or even skills as well?[/quote]

Hi einstein!

I encountered a few medium level questions at the beginning of the quants section. Then came the bouncer! I came across a question which I didn't even know how to interpret and got extremely nervous and went blank... Blank to the extent that I don't even remember which concept was the question testing. From thereon, I got a couple of tough questions and then way too easy ones. That's when it dawned upon me that I'd screwed it up royally! :([/quote]

Thanks for your reply Rachita......I wanted to understand that when you are really doing bad whether you get a little feeler about that during the exam and I understand from your reply that they increased complete spectrum of difficulty from low to high and then try to locate your ranges........Thanks Again!!

I hope that you will recover weak areas...I find practicing only way to come across different types of question to get good grasp of variety of fundas (as many as you can carry will be beficial no third sciences here).....I am still to give my GMAT so still in learning phase to udnerstand how best you align your strategy.......hope you will find one for you.....keep driving.....u ill reach destination...........

All the best
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37297 posts