Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 21:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CMU Tepper vs Notre Dame Mendoza (both with $)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

CMU Tepper vs Notre Dame Mendoza (both with $) [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 08:59
Hi, guys!

Still new to the forum, so sorry in advance if I did anything wrong!

I have a marketing background, and my goal is to continue pursuing a career in marketing. Right now I'm choosing between CMU Tepper (10,000 in fellowship) and Notre Dame Mendoza (40,000 in fellowship).

My big sister went to CMU for undergrad, so I'm pretty familiar with CMU already (helping her move, visiting her from time to time, etc.), while Notre Dame, well, I've never been to Indiana.

Being a liberal AND a Steelers fan, my choice should have been obvious, but...I don't know, there's something about Notre Dame that I like.

I know Tepper has much better MBA rankings than Mendoza, and, marketing-wise, neither of them is Kellogg, but which school has a better marketing program? Mendoza's faculty were rated A+ by BusinessWeek, but Tepper's faculty are top-notch, too. I get the impression that Tepper, being Tepper, has stronger connections and ties to major corporations, but maybe I'm wrong and Mendoza's actually just as strong in that department?

And I'm concerned about safety, too. I've found mixed opinions on how safe Notre Dame is, and since ND's grad housing is lottery-based, I just might have to live off-campus. So how safe is ND's surrounding area (South Bend)? Is it safe to live off-campus there?

I like Notre Dame's family-like culture and strong focus on ethics, but is it practical for me to pursue my MBA there instead of Tepper (close-knit community also, but focused on analytics)? I'm so confused...

I think the main problem is, I haven't visited either school after being admitted because I've been on business trips from time to from ever since last August (sigh), so everything I know about Mendoza (and some of the things about Tepper) is from research and could be wrong.

In conclusion: Help! Which school should I choose? I'm most concerned about: school culture, marketing program's quality, how safe and convenient it is to live off-campus.

I'll be grateful for any input! Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 304 [1] , given: 163

Premium Member
Re: CMU Tepper vs Notre Dame Mendoza (both with $) [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
I'm inclined to give the nod to Tepper for its overall repuation. When it comes to marketing specializations, it's really Kellogg and everyone else.

Take a look at the recruiting partners of both schools to see which lines up better with your interests:

http://www.tepper.cmu.edu/mba/your-career/recruiting-partners/index.aspx
http://business.nd.edu/MBA/Your_Career/Top_Employers/

If you want to get into CPG brand management, Heinz is right in your back yard at Tepper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [1] , given: 162

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CMU Tepper vs Notre Dame Mendoza (both with $) [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
If money is not an issue and you are ready to work your ass off studying Marketing Analytics go to Tepper. Tepper is known for its tough curriculum and people do not get excellent grades. On the other hand Notre Dame should be more manageable.

Spring has passed, summer is gone and winter is here. And the song that I meant to sing remains unsung.
For I have spent my days stringing and un-stringing my instrument.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 105

Re: CMU Tepper vs Notre Dame Mendoza (both with $) [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
First of all, congratulations for getting into two great schools! :-)

I will suggest you to choose Tepper for its overall reputation. Also, you have been there before, and seems you have good memories of CMU. But you should visit both schools before choosing one. Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: CMU Tepper vs Notre Dame Mendoza (both with $) [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 06:48
CobraKai wrote:
I'm inclined to give the nod to Tepper for its overall repuation. When it comes to marketing specializations, it's really Kellogg and everyone else.

Take a look at the recruiting partners of both schools to see which lines up better with your interests:

If you want to get into CPG brand management, Heinz is right in your back yard at Tepper.

Good point! This is really helpful, thank you so much :D
Intern
Intern

Re: CMU Tepper vs Notre Dame Mendoza (both with $) [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 07:04
AbhiJ wrote:
If money is not an issue and you are ready to work your ass off studying Marketing Analytics go to Tepper. Tepper is known for its tough curriculum and people do not get excellent grades. On the other hand Notre Dame should be more manageable.

Since I'm not that good at math and statistics to begin with, this is something I should definitely consider. Thank you, I'll keep this in mind! :D
Intern
Intern

Re: CMU Tepper vs Notre Dame Mendoza (both with $) [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 07:14
onion253 wrote:
First of all, congratulations for getting into two great schools! :-)

I will suggest you to choose Tepper for its overall reputation. Also, you have been there before, and seems you have good memories of CMU. But you should visit both schools before choosing one. Good luck!

Thank you!! :D

I do have good memories of CMU (awesome school!), and you're right, I'll see if I could find a chance to visit both schools. Thanks! :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 107

Re: CMU Tepper vs Notre Dame Mendoza (both with $) [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 05:27
This post received
KUDOS
Also, have you considered where you want to end up after school? Mendoza places very heavily into the midwest, whereas at Tepper you will likely have a lot more east coast/mid-atlantic options.
Intern
Intern

Re: CMU Tepper vs Notre Dame Mendoza (both with $) [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 07:51
lb2015 wrote:
Also, have you considered where you want to end up after school? Mendoza places very heavily into the midwest, whereas at Tepper you will likely have a lot more east coast/mid-atlantic options.

Thanks! I totally forgot to take that into consideration :( Since I wanna go back to L.A. afterwards, Tepper seems more like it'd be able to help me do that! Thank you so much :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 21

Re: CMU Tepper vs Notre Dame Mendoza (both with $) [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 20:18
This post received
KUDOS
nuuann wrote:
lb2015 wrote:

Thanks! I totally forgot to take that into consideration :( Since I wanna go back to L.A. afterwards, Tepper seems more like it'd be able to help me do that! Thank you so much :)

Have you considered Anderson, Marshall or one of the other Cali-based schools? I figure it would be easier to place in LA from those schools rather than CMU, and the network in California would be pretty massive.
Intern
Intern

Re: CMU Tepper vs Notre Dame Mendoza (both with $) [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 07:19
westsidah408 wrote:
nuuann wrote:
lb2015 wrote:

Have you considered Anderson, Marshall or one of the other Cali-based schools? I figure it would be easier to place in LA from those schools rather than CMU, and the network in California would be pretty massive.

Thanks for the suggestion! : )

I did apply for Anderson and Marshall, but I didn't get into Anderson at all : ( and Marshall has placed me on wait list. Sigh. I can only hope for the best now, I guess...

Thanks again! : D
Re: CMU Tepper vs Notre Dame Mendoza (both with $)   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2013, 07:19