First, the websites....
After floating around the two websites I have come to identify interesting differences.
1. UCB = CA, CMU = Pitt. (NY for Distance Learning)
2. UCB places 48% of graduates in jobs on west coast and 38% on east coast
3. CMU places
3. UCB is offered through the Business School, CMU is a colaboration between dept. (Math/Stats/Comp Sci.)
4. CMU is very big on the "quant" approach even offering courses in Object Oriented Programing I, II, and even a III!!
5. UCB is bigger on the business side of things offering courses in Accounting and Taxation of Derivatives and The Design of Securities for Corporate Financing
There are a few more differences that can be pointed out by just looking at the student body profile (see the atached excel file for a cleaner presentation). A few things that I noted.
1. UCB has slightly more international's, CMU has slightly more women
2. UCB is significanlty cheaper and shorter in duration
3. UCB appears to be comprised more of individulas holding advanced degrees
4. UCB admitts more Engineering and Econ./Busi./Fin. majors where CMU admits more Math, Comp. Sci. majors
Full Time $46,500 $62,850
Part Time N/A $2,766/course (24 Courses)
Salary (Median Base) $95,000 $95,000
Intern $15,706/Salary $6,894/Month
North East 38% 67%
West 48% 8%
Applied 251 -
Admitted 73 -
Enrolled 60 105
Acceptance Rate 29% -
Age 30 yrs 27 yrs
Work Exp. 5 yrs 6 yrs
Verbal - 571
Quant. 91% 784
Verbal - 35
Quant - 49
Total 90% 692
GPA 3.43 -
Start Date April August
Length (Full Time) 12 mo. 16 mo.
Bach. 38% 58%
Masters 52% 34%
PhD. 10% 8%
Engin. 42% 38%
Math 2% 16%
Comp. Sci. 10% 16%
Econ./Bus. 25% 20%
Science 18% 10%
International 57% 50%
Women 20% 28%
Basically, if you hadn't noticed, the differences in the two programs can be summarized by two points, UCB is located in CA and the degree is offered by the business school, CMU is located in PA and the degree is offered by the Comp. Sci., Math, Stats, and Buisness School.