Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:01
D
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 7

Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 07:43
I chose (C) for the following reasons:

- The hypothesis for which we have to find support is that the treatise was produced in 1148
- To produce a treatise, someone has to write it and the writing takes time
- If writing the treatise was very time-consuming (say it took several months to produce one page), even it the fourth author started to write in 1148, he couldn't have finished it

What's wrong with this logic?

Also, I still don't understand what's wrong with vannbj's logic?

Quote:
How can we assume that the disruption was due to the plague? Also how does the occurrence of the letter in 1148 relate to the timing of the treatise? Even if there was one 1 outbreak in the 1100’s couldn’t the fourth copyist have produced them 60 years apart?

Anyone?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 01:46
+1 for D
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [2] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 23:04
This post received
KUDOS
Found the logic below in a different forum and I felt the explanation was great..

There seems to be a causal relationship involved...the argument says that there was a disruption that interfered with the copying of the Codex...then it proceeds to say that there was a letter from the 4th copyist about a plague in 1148(which happens to be the disruption) and this plague(disruption) caused the Codex to be produced that year.

Cause: Plague of 1148 (C)
Effect Delayed the Codex to be produced that year. (E)

C->E

Remember that in a causal relationship the author assumes that no other cause is responsible for the Effect. And he assures us that this cause is very much true(here he states that there was some significant disruption that caused the delay in produce - the plague of 1148).

Following this, we need to Strengthen the authors assumptions about his causal relationship by either:
1) showing C causes E
2) Eliminating other Causes
3) Eliminating reverse causality
4) Showing data used to make causality is accurate
5) if there is no cause then there is no effect.

Answer choice D properly demonstrates rule 2 "Eliminating other Causes"...if this was not the only plague then perhaps a later plague further delayed the Codex produce ...hope this helps...

(This question is particularly difficult because the causal relationship is difficult to spot, but you can try to do so by looking for Causal identifiers like "Since....<this>"..."therefore <this>")

My First Blog on my GMAT Journey

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 03:37
Note that in a causal relationship the author assumes that no other cause is responsible for the Effect.Its easy to identify this relationship in the given context. Cause and effect are clear, and we can get the answer from that..
Cheers..!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 10:42
gurpreet07 wrote:
Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman medical treatise, is undated but contains clues to when it was produced. Its first 80 pages are by a single copyist, but the remaining 20 pages are by three different copyists, which indicates some significant disruption. Since a letter in handwriting identified as that of the fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in Florence in 1148, Codex Berinensis was probably produced in that year.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis that Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148?

(A) Other than Codex Berinensis, there are no known samples of the handwriting of the first three copyists.
(B) According to the account by the fourth copyist, the plague went on for 10 months.
(C) A scribe would be able to copy a page of text the size and style of Codex Berinensis in a day.
(D) There was only one outbreak of plague in Florence in the 1100s.
(E) The number of pages of Codex Berinensis produced by a single scribe becomes smaller with each successive change of copyist

This is a very tricky question. I got the correct answer in <2 minutes using the process of elimination, but it was mostly a "feeling" that option D is the right answer. So, I spent a lot of time on trying to decipher it. Here are my thoughts. Hope it helps others get it, and I also hope someone will correct me if my thinking is wrong.

Conclusion: Codex Berinensis (hereby referred to as CB) was probably produced in 1148.
How did we reach this conclusion?
1. Guy 1 copied the first 80 pages --> disruption --> 10 pages by guy 2 --> disruption --> 10 pages by guy 3 --> disruption --> completed by guy 4.
2. Guy 4 also wrote a letter that mentions about a plague in 1148. It's tricky to know for sure if Guy 4 wrote this letter in the actual CB or just wrote the letter to someone. The first sentence "contains clues to when it was produced" is ambiguous in its meaning.

The final sentence can be summed up as: Because letter by Guy 4 mentions plague --> CB produced in 1148.
That's a huge jump. How does a letter written about a plague lead to the conclusion that the CB was produced in 1148?
Only if the plague played a role in producing the CB!

Now, this becomes easy. All we have to prove is that there was no other plague (other than the one that took place in 1148) that could have played a role in producing the CB.
In other words, what we're trying to support is that the CB was produced in 1148 and NOT BEFORE then. This is critical. I also fell into the trap of thinking: why can't the fourth guy have finished his work in 1180? But that's the wrong direction to think in.

I personally didn't buy into the fact that the plague was what caused the disruption for the first 3 guys in copying the CB. Maybe they moved, maybe they got another job, maybe they became disinterested in a repetitive and boring job. But it's not out of order to think that the plague caused the disruption. Who knows? All I have to prove is that the plague is 1148 played in role in producing the CB, and that it was no other plague. Option D does that.

Major Takeaways
- parsing out the truly unnecessary from the necessary. Once you understand what the argument is, and how it's made, the whole thing falls into place. Once I understood that the only thing I REALLY have to prove/support is that the plague of 1148 played a role in producing the CB, the rest became easy.
- I should have paid more attention to the last sentence and identified the jump in logic it was making. This took the longest time. Don't fight the jumps in logic with confusion and immediately jump to the answer choices.
- USE your confusion as the hole that you have to pour cement into.

Great question! Really haven't been challenged by a Strengthen question like this before.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 10:05
Expert's post
Negeting the arguement is the only way to solve this tricky number

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 21:38
I don't get the point here. We are in habit of taking premises as true and thus we can't challenge premises. However, in this question and OA the premise has been challenged.

Here is the first look,

Since a letter in handwriting identified as that of the fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in Florence in 1148,
Conclusion:Codex Berinensis was probably produced in that year.

So When it is already mentioned that Plague happened to be in 1148 then what is the reason to speculate another plague.

Furthermore, had it been that a plague would have occurred before 1148 , still the writer mentioned a plague IN 1148 and then the book should have been completed by then.

Plz advise

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Research (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 04:42
I chose C because

: if a scribe can produce one page in a day, then the book would have taken only 80 days so must have been written around the same time as the fourth author who mentions 1148
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2014, 00:56
There was only one outbreak of plague in Florence in the 1100s.

Even if there was only one outbreak in 1100 and that was in 1148, the book can very well be written in 2000 since the fourth writer can complete the book in 2000 and mention the plague happened in 1148.

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2014, 16:04
I don't see it. I came down to C and D, and chose C. I picked C because it reduced the possibility that the text was written over a long period of time (years). For example, it could be the case that manually copying entire book takes so long that the work was started in 1147 and finished in 1149, with a disruption happening in 1148. Moreover, I eliminated D because the letter writer explicitly states that there was a plague in that specific year, but this does not eliminate the possibility that something else caused the disruption mentioned in the question stem (frequent feudal wars, earthquakes, floods etc.). So if it was caused by the plague it was probably that one, and if there were other plagues the author would have been more likely to survive them and would mentioned them in the letter too...I mean, sure, I can see both of them being correct, but why would I assume that the problem of another plague causing the disruption would be any greater than the problem of actually being able to complete a work in a single year.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 238

CAT Tests
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 04:15
D.

It says that the 1148 plague was the only plague that occurred in the 1100s. If no other plague occurred during this time, this strengthens the possibility that the 1148 plague was the cause of the disruption mentioned by the author. If there had been more than one plague during this period, then a plague in a year other than 1148 could have disrupted the copying of the Codex. Since there was no other plague, the author’s hypothesis is strengthened.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2014, 03:58
Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient
Roman medical treatise, is undated but contains clues
to when it was produced. Its first 80 pages are by a
single copyist, but the remaining 20 pages are by
three different copyists, which indicates some
significant disruption. Since a letter in handwriting
identified as that of the fourth copyist mentions a
plague that killed many people in Florence in 1148,
Codex Berinensis was probably produced in that year.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports
the hypothesis that Codex Berinensis was produced
in 1148?

(A) Other than Codex Berinensis, there are no
known samples of the handwriting of the first
three copyists.
(B) According to the account by the fourth copyist,
the plague went on for 10 months.
(C) A scribe would be able to copy a page of text
the size and style of Codex Berinensis in a day.
(D) There was only one outbreak of plague in
Florence in the 1100s.
(E) The number of pages of Codex Berinensis
produced by a single scribe becomes smaller
with each successive change of copyist.

Got the correct answer as D.

Both Options B and D are closer, but D is the best answer choice.

Option B does help to state that the event was a big disruption.

But option D is much stronger.

Hope this helps!

'The best way to thank or appreciate efforts on this forum is to give Kudos.'

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA (PGPX)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2014, 00:26
Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient roman medical treatise , is undated but contains clues to when it was produced. Its first eighty pages are by a single copyist, but the remaining twenty pages are by three different copyists, which indicates some significant disruption. Since a letter in handwriting identified as that of the fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in florence in 1148, Codex Berinensis was probably produced in that year.
Her
Conclusion: The book was probably produced in 1148.
Assumption: After the third writer, fourth writer took less than an year to complete the book.

Many people tend to confuse that the writer simply mentioned 1148. But how come he wrote that only 1148. I can quote what happened in 1148 and 2014. Here we are simply trying to strengthen it . That is we are simply increasing the chances with new evidence.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis that Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148?

a) Other than Codex Berinensis, there are no known samples of the handwriting of the first three copyists. Book produced in 1148 has nothing to do with no known samples of first three copyists. Note we are only concerned about this book and year
b) According to the account by the fourth copyist, the plague went on for ten months. I can simply quote an even happened in past in present. It has nothing to do with prove book and year in which it is likely to produced.
c) A scribe would be able to copy a page of text the size and style of Codex Berinensis in a day. General fact. Doesn't go with conclusion
d) there was only on outbreak of plague in florence in the 1100s - Correct answer. Only major event in 1148 that could have stopped the previous three. The fourth guy would have started here in 1148. Not we are just strengthning we are not proving that it is finished in 1148. This answer would have been straight forward if the conclusion had indicated that book must have been produced post 1148.
e) The number of pages of Codex Berinensis produced by a single scribe becomes smaller with each successive change of copyist - [color=#0000ff]OFS.One can take 100 years to produce 100 pages. So what ? No evidence that the book is completed in 1148 . [/color]
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2014, 00:26