Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 08:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

College Senior evaluation for HBS 2+2, etc.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

College Senior evaluation for HBS 2+2, etc. [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 07:43
Hi,

Looking for an evaluation of my chances for HBS 2+2, Yale Silver Scholars, Stanford GSB (deferred admission). Am currently a college junior so will be applying in September 2014 for admission (to HBS) in fall 2017. Will be sitting the GMAT this summer, but here is most of my info.

Education
BA, History and Political Science 2015 - Trinity College Dublin (top university in Ireland, currently 61st in QS world rankings, good brand).
One of 90 people to win the Foundation Scholarship in 2013 (0.5% of the student body) - these are extra exams in January for sophomore students. If you earn a first-class honors, you win the scholarship which includes full fees, free accommodation and food every day for five years (including postgrad study). Only H&PS student to win this.
Always first in my class and always in top 1-5% of university in general.
GMAT - Planned July 2014. (Irrelevant but SAT - 2190, 98th percentile).

Internships and work experience
US Senate committee, Summer 2014 - Intern
Will be working on the majority staff of one of the most important Senate committees this summer.

Dublin City Council election campaign, Dec 2013 - May 2014 - Online director
In charge of all online and technological aspects of the election campaign of a government party candidate, in a district of 40,000 voters.

Embassy of Ireland, Summer 2013 - Intern
Worked as an intern at an important and busy embassy for nine weeks. Given the small staff, I was given much responsibility as this as a busy time in the country in question.

Largest commercial TV station in Ireland, various 2011 and 2012 - Press Officer
secured a job as the full-time press officer at Ireland's largest commercial TV station, replacing the usual press officer whenever they were on leave. Worked in three stints, working five months in total over two years. Important managerial and organizational duties in a fast-paced media environment, especially for an 18-year-old.

Extracurricular
Data and statistical analysis - used statistical analysis and surveying to predict the outcome of five 2013 student government elections to within 1%. Proficient in R, SPSS, Excel. (Aware that otherwise my quantitative skills need to be improved)
Campaign management - ran a successful campaign for a students' union presidential candidate. Candidate won 74% of the vote in a contested election to lead a 17,000-strong organization for one year. Took charge of all on- and offline strategy, and directed a team of 350 volunteers.
Journalism - editor-in-chief of my College's satirical newspaper (roughly equivalent to Harvard Lampoon or similar), news editor of Ireland's largest student newspaper, senior news writer and various other roles on both of college's main newspapers.
Debating - senior committee positions for two years within successful debating society (oldest student society in the world) with over 8,000 members.
Triathlon, rowing and running - Have completed Ironman 70.3 events, sprint and olympic triathlons, half-marathons. Rowed crew for two years, winning and competing in various flagship races. Also acted as regatta secretary of the club, organizing Ireland's biggest rowing event in 2013.

Clearly my interests point to political and media work, but my passion is campaign management and the crossover between political campaign methods and management methods and how they can learn from each other. My post-MBA goal would be to find a role straddling and combining these approaches and industries. Aware that I'm not a typical B-school applicant but it seems that these programs hope to attract less typical applicants. Thanks for reading, let me know what I'm doing wrong!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
College Senior evaluation for HBS 2+2, etc.   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2014, 07:43