Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General , Finance
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
GPA: 4
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Private Equity
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General , Finance
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Private Equity
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
kschmidt1801 wrote:
kschmidt1801 wrote:
Hmm. Applied 12/19 and no interview invite / ding yet. I wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

On another note, I received an email from admissions asking for a transcript 8 days ago. It seems I must have accidentally uploaded a second copy of my resume instead of my transcript when I applied. I responded with a copy of my transcript inside 20 min. Kudos to them for not just automatically dinging me over a dumb mistake! Very classy, Columbia.

And there it is. Dinged without interview. Man, this sucks. Two schools down so far.

Applied 12/19/2012
Dinged without interview 1/18/2013

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your other schools. Also, keep in mind ED this summer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
TwoTimesTheCharm wrote:
kschmidt1801 wrote:
kschmidt1801 wrote:
Hmm. Applied 12/19 and no interview invite / ding yet. I wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

On another note, I received an email from admissions asking for a transcript 8 days ago. It seems I must have accidentally uploaded a second copy of my resume instead of my transcript when I applied. I responded with a copy of my transcript inside 20 min. Kudos to them for not just automatically dinging me over a dumb mistake! Very classy, Columbia.

And there it is. Dinged without interview. Man, this sucks. Two schools down so far.

Applied 12/19/2012
Dinged without interview 1/18/2013

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your other schools. Also, keep in mind ED this summer.

Thanks for the encouragement, but I'm already getting on the old side for a traditional MBA program. 1 year older most likely wouldn't do me any favors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GPA: 3.2
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Sorry to hear about the dings guys.

Seems like a lot of strong profiles are getting ding w/o interviews. As NY'er who works at a bank and has a lowish-GPA, I can't say I feel too good...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q162 V169
GPA: 3.65
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
DMNY31 wrote:
Sorry to hear about the dings guys.

Seems like a lot of strong profiles are getting ding w/o interviews. As NY'er who works at a bank and has a lowish-GPA, I can't say I feel too good...

Yep, got dinged w/o interview today. Not to sound like I am flattering myself but I am slightly surprised, thought I would have been strongly in the running for interview, but oh well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
StickerShock wrote:
mappleby wrote:
That's what I did and it worked for me.

How did you develop your profile in the interim period ?

I re-took the GMAT and went from a 700 to a 750 which I think helped a lot. Also I got help the second time around. The problem with the military is there is nobody with a decent MBA let alone anybody who went to a Top 10 school to help you with essays and things. So I was really under-prepared my first time around. My re-applicant essays were more coherent and explained why CBS was the best fit for me. Also I applied ED which has a better yield it appears.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
StickerShock wrote:
TwoTimesTheCharm wrote:
pascalchristian wrote:
Same here.. applied at the same date as well.

Sorry to hear, hopefully your other schools pull through.

I know it will be a bit biased, but how strong was your application? I ask because I am still a bit "shocked" that I didnt get an interview. I thought my overall app was pretty good: good work experience at a brand name firm; good GMAT; good GPA; good recs; very very unique story; clear and feasible goals. On top of that, I had a CBS donor put in a good word for me. I'm guessing that if I had gone ED, I would have at least been invited to an interview....guess ED vs RD makes a huge difference.

Do "good words" from donors help ? That puts those who have no access to donors at a disadvantage.
I think with its BWeek rank falling Columbia is going to admit fewer people this year , especially in RD. CBS does focus a lot on employ-ability of a candidate and seems less worried about diversity.

To be honest...not sure how much it helped. The donor thought I would be a "perfect" fit for the school and was also surprised/upset that I didn't even get an interview. Guess it shows that RD this year was pretty tough, especially if you applied after Thanksgiving.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TwoTimesTheCharm wrote:
StickerShock wrote:
pascalchristian wrote:
Same here.. applied at the same date as well.

Sorry to hear, hopefully your other schools pull through.

I know it will be a bit biased, but how strong was your application? I ask because I am still a bit "shocked" that I didnt get an interview. I thought my overall app was pretty good: good work experience at a brand name firm; good GMAT; good GPA; good recs; very very unique story; clear and feasible goals. On top of that, I had a CBS donor put in a good word for me. I'm guessing that if I had gone ED, I would have at least been invited to an interview....guess ED vs RD makes a huge difference.

That's interesting to hear about application timing. Does Columbia place a large emphasis on demonstrated interest through early submission/class visit etc? I assume so, given that they have binding ED round? To be honest, I actually chose to apply to Columbia later in the process than my other schools, submitted on January 3rd and didn't have a chance to visit the school, unfortunately. While it might be a stretch, I think I'll tell myself that that hurt me so as not to feel discouraged about my outstanding applications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
There is definitely a preference at Columbia for Early Decision applicants and those who show they are very committed to the school. There is an impression that a number of people apply to HBS, Wharton and CBS with CBS as the backup school. The yield of students who accept admission offers plays into a schools ranking with Businessweek so they have an incentive to accept students they feel reasonable certain will accept the offer. Also there are a flood of applications in January to make the Fellowship deadline.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
There is definitely a preference at Columbia for Early Decision applicants and those who show they are very committed to the school. There is an impression that a number of people apply to HBS, Wharton and CBS with CBS as the backup school. The yield of students who accept admission offers plays into a schools ranking with Businessweek so they have an incentive to accept students they feel reasonable certain will accept the offer. Also there are a flood of applications in January to make the Fellowship deadline.

Dang, wish I had been more cognizant of that. Columbia was certainly not a backup school for me, although, now, in addition to rationalizing my denial as a symptom of application timing, I will also tell myself it is because they are so certain I will get into HBS; never underestimate the power of rationalization! Impressive jump on the GMAT, btw, don't see that large of a jump too often. Also, congratulations on your acceptance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
sugarmag wrote:

That's interesting to hear about application timing. Does Columbia place a large emphasis on demonstrated interest through early submission/class visit etc? I assume so, given that they have binding ED round? To be honest, I actually chose to apply to Columbia later in the process than my other schools, submitted on January 3rd and didn't have a chance to visit the school, unfortunately. While it might be a stretch, I think I'll tell myself that that hurt me so as not to feel discouraged about my outstanding applications.

The way an alum explained it to me during my interview (and this could be incorrect for all I know) is that the admissions office works closely with the career center and puts people in various brackets based off of the school's recent graduating class's career outcomes. So if 20% of graduates were hired for consulting jobs, then they look to accept around 20% consulting-oriented people for this year. As it's a rolling admissions process they essentially fill each bracket up on an ongoing basis, and the fewer slots are left the more people you're competing with for that bracket. So it pays to submit earlier.

For some perspective, he told me that I had submitted too late (I sent in my Columbia app on 11/20).

**NOTE** that I'm not confident that the alum in my interview had accurate information, as this was all news to me, and I'm friends with two other Columbia alums at work. Has anyone else heard that Columbia does their process this way?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
TheFool wrote:
sugarmag wrote:

The way an alum explained it to me during my interview (and this could be incorrect for all I know) is that the admissions office works closely with the career center and puts people in various brackets based off of the school's recent graduating class's career outcomes. So if 20% of graduates were hired for consulting jobs, then they look to accept around 20% consulting-oriented people for this year. As it's a rolling admissions process they essentially fill each bracket up on an ongoing basis, and the fewer slots are left the more people you're competing with for that bracket. So it pays to submit earlier.

For some perspective, he told me that I had submitted too late (I sent in my Columbia app on 11/20).

**NOTE** that I'm not confident that the alum in my interview had accurate information, as this was all news to me, and I'm friends with two other Columbia alums at work. Has anyone else heard that Columbia does their process this way?

Wow he said 11/20 was too late?! Where does that leave us folks who barely made the scholarship deadline...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: CBS '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
MBA2ER wrote:
TheFool wrote:
sugarmag wrote:

Wow he said 11/20 was too late?! Where does that leave us folks who barely made the scholarship deadline...

I cannot beleive thats true. I mean, think of it ... If the interviewer says someone is late applying in mid november, he is implying that the class is already filled by then. I attended a CBS event in late nov and the admission representative said it was all okay to apply in RD.
i would beleive the interviewer was not well informed and live in hope as i applied on 12/31.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Structurer wrote:
I cannot beleive thats true. I mean, think of it ... If the interviewer says someone is late applying in mid november, he is implying that the class is already filled by then. I attended a CBS event in late nov and the admission representative said it was all okay to apply in RD.
i would beleive the interviewer was not well informed and live in hope as i applied on 12/

CBS always tries to hide how many seats are filled in ED. It encourages us to apply in RD simply for its own benefit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Structurer wrote:
i would beleive the interviewer was not well informed and live in hope as i applied on 12/31.

The only thing I can think of is that TheFool is focusing on marketing which is not a huge draw for Columbia like say Kellogg. So if they focus their admissions rates based on historical employment trends the number of "marketing candidates" they accept will be relatively small to the number of "banking candidates." So if you are going for a niche market area the rolling admissions would hurt you more than applying with Investment Banking aspirations where they can be fairly certain of high employment rates.

That's the only way I can make sense of the comment but in reality I still think it's a stretch. Even Harvard and Stanford are admitting students in Round 3 so I can't believe that Columbia will have filled it's class by January. Certainly there are fewer seats the longer you wait but people are still going to get admitted in Feb/March. Your odds get worse the longer you wait but why would the admissions council bother accepting more applications for months after the class was already filled?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
Structurer wrote:
why would the admissions council bother accepting more applications for months after the class was already filled?

not very sure about this :) it increases the "selectivity" and benefits the rankings etc. I am guessing too.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V31
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Did someone get accepted after being waitlisted / deferred?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
matisao wrote:
Did someone get accepted after being waitlisted / deferred?

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. But were you waitlisted post-interview? Could you list your timeline?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  56   57   58   59   60   61   62  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts