Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 10

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 10:16
Ding submitted on nye

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 19

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 10:23
Sorry to hear. Would you mind sharing your profile?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 10:41
helpmehelpme wrote:
Ding submitted on nye

Posted from my mobile device

Sorry to hear about your ding. I submitted on Christmas Eve and I still haven't heard anything. Anyone else in the same boat?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 12:46
mappleby wrote:
matisao wrote:
Did someone get accepted after being waitlisted / deferred?

We haven't seen any yet on GMAT Club but that doesn't mean it isn't/won't happen. They wouldn't bother with a waitlist if they didn't plan on accepting at least some people.

Thank you....Hope some of us are accepted
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 39

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 12:49
msss wrote:
helpmehelpme wrote:
Ding submitted on nye

Sorry to hear about your ding. I submitted on Christmas Eve and I still haven't heard anything. Anyone else in the same boat?

Yep, I submitted on 12/24 and still have not heard back, yet as full disclosure I had issues with the fee payment system and had to wire them the money which they acknowledged receipt on 1/2/2013
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 03:10
mbaBoston2012 wrote:
I got dinged today. Submitted Nov 1, interview invite on Dec 17, and interviewed on January 7th. Final review submitted on January 15th.

I'm convinced that it was because of my interview. My interviewer hated that I was on the younger side of the age range; he just didn't like me from the start and kept going back to my age which isn't even that young; it's still within the range.

My advice for anyone getting a Columbia invite, be careful on the interviewer you pick. Try go for someone older to interview you; they won't have as much of a superiority complex. Research them before you pick one. Make sure it is someone who could relate to you. I cannot stress how important this is.

Good luck!

Big big agree! got dinged last year because of exactly the same reason! Selected a fresh CBS MBA graduate...and bad chemistry from the beginning.....The interviewer acted a bit picky and unfriendly, kept talking about I was too young while I had over 4 years w/e last year.

Reapplied this year, but missed the ED round, waiting for interview invite.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 03:18
bluegmat700 wrote:
msss wrote:
helpmehelpme wrote:
Ding submitted on nye

Yep, I submitted on 12/24 and still have not heard back, yet as full disclosure I had issues with the fee payment system and had to wire them the money which they acknowledged receipt on 1/2/2013

submitted 12/26, haven't heard back.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Real Estate
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 14

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 06:02
Maybe I lucked out - I had a new grad as my interviewer as well. She was professional throughout the conversation and it went very well without any feeling of there being a superiority complex. Now, granted, I am 30, so most likely older than you guys are, but because I had gotten another Master's before this, I'm at five years of work experience.

The problem with "picking" your interviewer, too, is that you don't want to be trying to get one person (out of the three they give you) and have the process drag on because the person doesn't get back to you for whatever reason. It was the holiday season, and I contacted all three of the interviewers and the first person who got back to me took about two weeks to get back to me. A second person got back to me three weeks after my email, and my interview had already taken place by then. I never heard from the third. So definitely be aware of all circumstances around the interview setup (including background of interviewer and timing), since it would probably work to your advantage to interview as soon as you can.

leodondon wrote:
mbaBoston2012 wrote:
I got dinged today. Submitted Nov 1, interview invite on Dec 17, and interviewed on January 7th. Final review submitted on January 15th.

I'm convinced that it was because of my interview. My interviewer hated that I was on the younger side of the age range; he just didn't like me from the start and kept going back to my age which isn't even that young; it's still within the range.

My advice for anyone getting a Columbia invite, be careful on the interviewer you pick. Try go for someone older to interview you; they won't have as much of a superiority complex. Research them before you pick one. Make sure it is someone who could relate to you. I cannot stress how important this is.

Good luck!

Big big agree! got dinged last year because of exactly the same reason! Selected a fresh CBS MBA graduate...and bad chemistry from the beginning.....The interviewer acted a bit picky and unfriendly, kept talking about I was too young while I had over 4 years w/e last year.

Reapplied this year, but missed the ED round, waiting for interview invite.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 10

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 08:59
oof and now columbia sending out a dummy email to those who werent admitted yesterday asking you to schedule your interview lol ;( TWIST THE KNIFE
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 10:00
Anyone who submitted around Scholarship deadline hear back yet? I submitted Jan 6th..silence since then.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 12:36
Just received an interview invite! Submitted 12/24. Seems like there are differing opinions on whom I should pick for an interviewer. What was the interview like? Were there any curveball questions?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:08
Just received an interview invite submitted 12/26.

Does anyone know if the interviewers get an e-mail sent to them after the 3 interviewers are determined for a candidate?

The reason I ask is I wanted at least 1 week to prep. I was planning on e-mailing them tomorrow if that is the case. If they don't receive any notice that I was selected for an interview by them, I wanted to e-mail them on Monday.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q V0
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 15:14
Very excited! Submitted 12/29 and received an invite to interview today. It is very interesting that Columbia gives you a choice of who to interview with. All three names I received have impressive and interesting backgrounds, but all very different from what my goals are. Not sure how to make the decision, but I'll have to think on it more tonight. Thanks for everyone's advice on selecting the interviewer carefully!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 18:43
MBAGoTimeR2 wrote:
Very excited! Submitted 12/29 and received an invite to interview today. It is very interesting that Columbia gives you a choice of who to interview with. All three names I received have impressive and interesting backgrounds, but all very different from what my goals are. Not sure how to make the decision, but I'll have to think on it more tonight. Thanks for everyone's advice on selecting the interviewer carefully!

Submitted on the same day but still waiting... Congrats everyone who got an invite!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 18:47
nyukellogg2015 wrote:
Anyone who submitted around Scholarship deadline hear back yet? I submitted Jan 6th..silence since then.

I'm in a comparable position as far as dates. Based on other profiles in this forum, it looks like 4-5 weeks is a good ballpark for when interview invites go out.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 19:51
MBA2ER wrote:
MBAGoTimeR2 wrote:

Submitted on the same day but still waiting... Congrats everyone who got an invite!

same submit date! still waiting!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 27

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 08:22
I got dinged by Columbia on Tuesday afternoon after an interview... have been moping around since and haven't wanted to post it on the forums. Sorry for the delay, and just for the record, here was my timeline:

Submitted: 11/26
Interview invite: 12/19
Interviewed: 1/11
Interview report submitted: 1/15
Decision: 1/22

I gotta say it really sucks. I'm currently 0-for-3, and feeling less and less optimistic about my chances of getting in anywhere. Especially after that interview at Columbia which was, frankly, unfriendly.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 08:25
TheFool wrote:
I got dinged by Columbia on Tuesday afternoon after an interview... have been moping around since and haven't wanted to post it on the forums. Sorry for the delay, and just for the record, here was my timeline:

I gotta say it really sucks. I'm currently 0-for-3, and feeling less and less optimistic about my chances of getting in anywhere. Especially after that interview at Columbia which was, frankly, unfriendly.

I'm sorry to hear that. It took 2 months after your interview feedback submission to get your decision? Wow...

May I ask you how your interview was unfriendly?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 09:00
TheFool wrote:
redpringles wrote:
TheFool wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. It took 2 months after your interview feedback submission to get your decision? Wow...

May I ask you how your interview was unfriendly?

Actually it wasn't two months -- I caught that right after I posted and it's been edited above. Sorry about that!! Timeline was:

The first 50 minutes of the interview went fine. While the questions were tough ("give me a ballpark estimate of how many brand managers get hired every year" "Besides the six companies and three industries you mentioned that use brand management, what other companies recruit at Columbia for your desired field?").

I was answering them pretty well, I thought. But near the end the interviewer asked me how I chose him as my interview contact. I replied that I followed the instructions on Columbia's letter, which was to contact the first person on the list of three. He became visibly upset at this and told me that I had done it wrong: rather, I should have done research on all three Ambassadors and chose my contact that way, as in business you're supposed to vie for every advantage. I replied that while I agree in theory with that, I wasn't about to try and cross the admissions committee on this. He noted that someone he interviewed just the week prior had done this very thing, and had chosen him because they had a lot in common.
Then he started lecturing me about the importance of seizing the advantage in networking, noted that I'm competing against my fellow students "including the guy with two years' of experience at McKinsey who is just interviewing for fun, but who looks better on paper."

He then asked me why I was applying so late and to so few schools. I replied that I had applied to five schools and submitted my application to Columbia on November 20. He said that was too late and to too few schools, and didn't seem optimistic about my chances of getting in.

Honestly, none of his advice was bad or unwelcome (though I still disagree about not following Columbia's instructions), but the tone of the conversation took a very negative turn near the end. I'm not sure if I was unlucky, if I said the wrong thing, if he was trying to push my buttons or that's just his manner.

Wow - that's one heck of a story. Can others who have interviewed please shed some light on how much an anomaly this experience is? It seems over the top negative, enough that it makes me wonder whether the adcom wouldn't like to know that this is how interviewers are treating prospective students.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 09:18
TheFool wrote:
The first 50 minutes of the interview went fine. While the questions were tough ("give me a ballpark estimate of how many brand managers get hired every year" "Besides the six companies and three industries you mentioned that use brand management, what other companies recruit at Columbia for your desired field?").

I was answering them pretty well, I thought. But near the end the interviewer asked me how I chose him as my interview contact. I replied that I followed the instructions on Columbia's letter, which was to contact the first person on the list of three. He became visibly upset at this and told me that I had done it wrong: rather, I should have done research on all three Ambassadors and chose my contact that way, as in business you're supposed to vie for every advantage. I replied that while I agree in theory with that, I wasn't about to try and cross the admissions committee on this. He noted that someone he interviewed just the week prior had done this very thing, and had chosen him because they had a lot in common.
Then he started lecturing me about the importance of seizing the advantage in networking, noted that I'm competing against my fellow students "including the guy with two years' of experience at McKinsey who is just interviewing for fun, but who looks better on paper."

He then asked me why I was applying so late and to so few schools. I replied that I had applied to five schools and submitted my application to Columbia on November 20. He said that was too late and to too few schools, and didn't seem optimistic about my chances of getting in.

Honestly, none of his advice was bad or unwelcome (though I still disagree about not following Columbia's instructions), but the tone of the conversation took a very negative turn near the end. I'm not sure if I was unlucky, if I said the wrong thing, if he was trying to push my buttons or that's just his manner.

I'm amazed that you were given the estimation question in an interview for an MBA program... did you indicate you are in (and going for) consulting?

I went through many pages of CBS interview experience posts on clearadmit.com and don't remember any interviews like this... I'm sorry you had an interview like this, and for your ding :( I hope you have better luck with other interviews
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2013, 09:18