Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 39

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 13:01
chains1910 wrote:
Chupacabra wrote:
bluegmat700 wrote:
Just got waitlisted after an interview :( ... I thought I would get in for sure given that my interviewer clearly told me that he was going to recommend me and that I would make a great fit for sure. This kind of bums me out for my other upcoming interviews (given that I rocked the interview yet it still wasn't enough) How large a part does the interview play in the application?

I have an upcoming HBS interview but now I'm worried that regardless of how I do, it wont make that big of a difference....Any helpful advice?

Keep your head up amigo. The application proces for top MBA programs is a black box. Just because you got dinged from Columbia, doesn't mean that you won't go kill your HBS interview and get accepted. I got into 4 of my 5 schools, but didn't even get an interview for HBS. So take advantage of the opportunity to interview at the best school in the world. Best of luck.

Definite truth to this. One of my buddies who has been helping me out during the process got dings last year from Wharton, Booth, and Kellogg. The only school he got into was Harvard. Tough getting so many dings, but end of the day he's going to be a Harvard MBA.

Chupacabra & Chains1910: Thanks for the reassuring advice :-D , I guess this whole process is extremely random! I I'll do my best, and keep you guys posted, in the end I'd be ecstatic if I can just get into one of these incredible schools!!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 13:57
Does anyone know exactly what the interview evaluation form is like / what questions it contains?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 04:19
Hi Guys,

Is it too late to apply to CBS now?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 07:47
Anybody out there who applied on 1/09 and still hasn't heard back? Seems like a good amount of people have heard back.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 08:02
I applied on 1/9 and have not heard anything. Is this a good sign or something ominous? The wait is brutal!
Kellogg Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 77

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 08:28
Dinged

Applied - 9 Jan
Dinged w/o interview - 12 Feb

All that matters, comes after the word 'but'.

Last edited by finmaster on 12 Feb 2013, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 08:31
Dakells wrote:
mappleby wrote:
chendere wrote:
Applied Oct 1
interviewed end of Oct
Admitted end of Jan

background:
CFA
Prop trader at BB
6yrs work exp
UmichRoss BBA GPA 3.5
GMAT 740

I'm not sure how Fuqua can be an alternative to Columbia?
Seems like some people are choosing between them?
Maybe it's the Michigan Duke rivalry talking but is Columbia and Duke even in the same league?

Congrats on the admit. I agree, I'm not sure why you would turn down Columbia for Duke. Ross and Fuqua you could make arguments either way but Columbia is definitely in a league above Fuqua.

Ha! You're probably referring to me. If you read the thread I posted, the reason I am torn is because I want to do brand management and quite a few of my target companies are not on Columbia's employment report but are on Duke's. I'm hoping maybe that just means that is because they didn't hire anyone from Columbia but still recruit there. I don't know, you always hear about Columbia in the context of finance, but not marketing. So while I realize Columbia's reputation is better than Duke's, at the end of the day I want to go where I have a better chance of getting in front of the companies I want to work for. So that is why I'm questioning!

Hey - Which companies specifically are you referring to here?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 08:36
finmaster wrote:
Dinged

Sorry to hear that :(
When did you apply?

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 08:48
khalu9 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Is it too late to apply to CBS now?

Thanks!

They are still taking applications and if you have a great profile it is certainly possible to get in still. However you are fighting an uphill battle at any school at this point. Round 3 is tough at the top schools and with CBS's rolling admissions it is even tougher this late in the game. If you can wait until next year I would, if you absolutely have to start school in the fall then it doesn't hurt to apply.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q39 V45
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 09:04
just got dinged by Columbia... I'm kind of surprised because it was my safety school...

Applied Jan 9th..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 09:08
highhopes75 wrote:
Anybody out there who applied on 1/09 and still hasn't heard back? Seems like a good amount of people have heard back.

but all who have heard back got dinged tho.....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 09:08
Azn84 wrote:
just got dinged by Columbia... I'm kind of surprised because it was my safety school...

Applied Jan 9th..

sorry to hear that but thankful for the update
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [1] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Azn84 wrote:

Applied Jan 9th..

Sorry to hear that but I don't think anyone can consider CBS their safety school (unless of course you're that one stellar guy who gets in to every top school). Good luck on your other apps. You have some great schools picked out and hopefully you hear good news soon.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Private Equity

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 9

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
Azn84 wrote:

Applied Jan 9th..

Sorry to hear that but I don't think anyone can consider CBS their safety school (unless of course you're that one stellar guy who gets in to every top school). Good luck on your other apps. You have some great schools picked out and hopefully you hear good news soon.

Got dinged two hours ago. Had applied on 9th Jan.

This is what the email from Columbia says(Like really)

Dear Mr. Sticker Shock

In case you didn’t already know, you have been unsuccessful. We didn’t receive many applications, and even then, yours stood out as being the most mediocre. The hours you spent on the application would have been better spent in the pub. And you should also consider alternative career paths aside an MBA.

Kind Regards

CBS Admissions
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 10:10
dreamharvard wrote:
highhopes75 wrote:

but all who have heard back got dinged tho.....

yea I'm going to be naive here and hope that no news is good news...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 10:19
Dinged. applied on 1/9
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 48

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 10:46
dinged without interview. submitted 01/09. good luck to those holding up there. sort of expected but still feels crap
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.65
WE: Law (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 10:48
applied 1/9 - still waiting too. killin me.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Corporate Finance (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 10:51
StickerShock wrote:
aerien wrote:
Azn84 wrote:

Applied Jan 9th..

Dear Mr. Sticker Shock

In case you didn’t already know, you have been unsuccessful. We didn’t receive many applications, and even then, yours stood out as being the most mediocre. The hours you spent on the application would have been better spent in the pub. And you should also consider alternative career paths aside an MBA.

Kind Regards

CBS Admissions

Are you serious or is this a parody?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 11:01
StickerShock wrote:
aerien wrote:
Azn84 wrote:

Applied Jan 9th..

Dear Mr. Sticker Shock

Kind Regards

CBS Admissions

Try not to let it get you down. I got 4 of those last year so I know how much it sucks.
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2013, 11:01