Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
linsanity wrote:
anyone who got an interview set up one yet? I've emailed 3 so far without responses...wth

In some cases, the frustrations of setting up interviews with alums really makes one doubt the vibe of the CBS community--and how supportive they will be as a part of the MBA experience. The admissions should really take this matter seriously. It will hurt the yield of the school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
nyukellogg2015 wrote:
djy2378 wrote:
linsanity wrote:
anyone who got an interview set up one yet? I've emailed 3 so far without responses...wth

In some cases, the frustrations of setting up interviews with alums really makes one doubt the vibe of the CBS community--and how supportive they will be as a part of the MBA experience. The admissions should really take this matter seriously. It will hurt the yield of the school.

It really is very strange - not to mention how unhelpful/disorganized they are with visiting/prospective students. It was a stark contrast to every other school I visited (Stern, Kellogg, Booth), and leaves serious questions in my mind about fit. I don't really understand why a top school seems to not care about interacting with prospective students and applicants, but whatever works, I guess.

I had trouble contacting alumni and ended up interviewing with the ad com, which was very different because they have access to your essays and all, but not bad at all.

I disageee about their receptiveness to prospective students! I visited the schools 3 times and was very well received by all. NYU for example didnt want to receive me and said that contact is made only through interviews.
Its relative to each students perception.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
nyukellogg2015 wrote:
Nrymcn wrote:
I had trouble contacting alumni and ended up interviewing with the ad com, which was very different because they have access to your essays and all, but not bad at all.

I disageee about their receptiveness to prospective students! I visited the schools 3 times and was very well received by all. NYU for example didnt want to receive me and said that contact is made only through interviews.
Its relative to each students perception.

Yes everyone definitely has different experiences, but at NYU they have a very well organized visiting students program including class visits, coffee chats, etc. I have no idea what happened with you. I found no such program at Columbia and felt that they made me fend for myself if I wanted to participate in anything on campus. It just wasn't welcoming. Glad you had a better experience.

When did you try to visit CBS because they have all of those things run through the admissions office. The office is open 5 days a week and they arrange class visits followed by student chats at certain times on certain days. If you visited in between semesters or during a finals week then you are kind of out of luck but even during the summer classes they had classes you could visit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
BirdIsTheWord wrote:
Got in!!! ED-waitlisted-reapplicant-longtime lurker. The wait was excruciating but worth it.

Applied: Oct 1
Invited to interview: Oct. 16
Interview: Oct. 30
Interview feedback: Oct. 31
Waitlisted: Nov. 7
Almost went crazy: Nov. 7 - Jan. 29
Accepted: Jan. 30

International/ 740/ Low GPA/ Banking/ Asia

It hasn't quite sunk in yet. Good luck to those still waiting - keep the faith!

Congratulations!!! I bet the worst part was the wait!
Did you get a phone call or email regarding your acceptance?

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dakells wrote:
Just got the call! I can't even believe it!

Timeline in case it's helpful:

Nov 19th - Technically Submitted my portion of app
Dec 28th - App finally complete after second recommendation was finally submitted (thanks recommender!)
Jan 9th - Invitation to Interview
Jan 18th - Interviewed
Jan 30 - Had a missed call from a blocked number, suspect this may have been them
Feb 1 - Got another blocked call, answered and was accepted!

Congratulations, Dakells!! Looks like you're on a roll too :) Go celebrate tonight.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the call! I'm in! Luckily they left a voicemail with a number to call back since I missed the call.

Submitted: December 5 / Last Recommendation: December 21
Invitation to Interview: January 9
Interview and Feedback: January 22
Admitted: February 4
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
rb2cc wrote:
How does one tell if the interviewer has submitted feedback? My email is acting up; is there a way to tell on one's status page?

Thanks

You should have a notification that you have a new status update on the application page (same place where your 3 interview choices were listed). When you click on it, it should just say something like "we have received your interview feedback"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Schools: CBS '15 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
I planned to say that you should get your interview as soon as you can but changed my opinion after looking how many new students in Columbia Facebook group, 241. I think that the real quantity isn't more than 300 (some will go to other schools, some haven't joined yet,...) so we have 200 slots at minimum. You have smth to think about.
However, I think you could be mistaken assuming that things will necesarrily go smooth with that interviewer and probably worse with others. Nevertheless, time is not your friend here, waiting for your interviewer you can get your interview on 15 Feb, then you can easily wait for 2 weeks while he sumbit his/her report (1 March) and then (around 10 March) you will compete with more candidates + waitlisted for smaller spots, the worst scenario of course.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Not seeing many/any interview invitations sent out this week. Do we think more will come in the next few days?!?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Kudos
I'm in as of today. I was told deposit is due by Feb 21st! Is this normal? It seems like a yield protection mechanism. After tomorrow, all others admitted will have until April to submit their deposit. Any thoughts on this or getting this extended?

Just to update: my full timeline is consistent with last poster

Originally posted by old1442 on 06 Feb 2013, 17:17.
Last edited by old1442 on 06 Feb 2013, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Applied Oct 1
interviewed end of Oct
Admitted end of Jan

background:
CFA
Prop trader at BB
6yrs work exp
UmichRoss BBA GPA 3.5
GMAT 740

I'm not sure how Fuqua can be an alternative to Columbia?
Seems like some people are choosing between them?
Maybe it's the Michigan Duke rivalry talking but is Columbia and Duke even in the same league?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2782 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Does anyone know the exact dates (and preferably the schedule) of CBS' admitted students event this upcoming week? I got the acceptance call yesterday, but I am having trouble logging into the admitted students site. I really would like to attend the event, so booking my travel today would be ideal (I'm traveling from the West Coast). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Submitted: 12/26/12
Interview Invite: 1/9/13
Conducted Interview: 1/30/13
Interview Info Submission: 1/30/13
Accepted: 2/8/13
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
tonebeeze wrote:
Does anyone know the exact dates (and preferably the schedule) of CBS' admitted students event this upcoming week? I got the acceptance call yesterday, but I am having trouble logging into the admitted students site. I really would like to attend the event, so booking my travel today would be ideal (I'm traveling from the West Coast). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Submitted: 12/26/12
Interview Invite: 1/9/13
Conducted Interview: 1/30/13
Interview Info Submission: 1/30/13
Accepted: 2/8/13

Congrats on the admit call. I would honestly wait until Monday and call the admissions office though. Technically the registration for Columbia Connect 1 closed last week. As for a schedule, there is an optional even Thursday evening starting at 5:30pm. If you can't make Thursday, the official even kicks off at 8:30am on Friday and there are optional events all day Saturday as well.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
bluegmat700 wrote:
Just got waitlisted after an interview :( ... I thought I would get in for sure given that my interviewer clearly told me that he was going to recommend me and that I would make a great fit for sure. This kind of bums me out for my other upcoming interviews (given that I rocked the interview yet it still wasn't enough) How large a part does the interview play in the application?

I have an upcoming HBS interview but now I'm worried that regardless of how I do, it wont make that big of a difference....Any helpful advice?

Keep your head up amigo. The application proces for top MBA programs is a black box. Just because you got dinged from Columbia, doesn't mean that you won't go kill your HBS interview and get accepted. I got into 4 of my 5 schools, but didn't even get an interview for HBS. So take advantage of the opportunity to interview at the best school in the world. Best of luck.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Azn84 wrote:
just got dinged by Columbia... I'm kind of surprised because it was my safety school...

Applied Jan 9th..

Sorry to hear that but I don't think anyone can consider CBS their safety school (unless of course you're that one stellar guy who gets in to every top school). Good luck on your other apps. You have some great schools picked out and hopefully you hear good news soon.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Kudos
Azn84 wrote:
just got dinged by Columbia... I'm kind of surprised because it was my safety school...

Applied Jan 9th..

some great schools on your list.. dont be hesitant to apply to more round 3 (maybe a few lower ranked as well if you def wna go this year).. i too applied to hbs, columbia, and wharton, but also to nyu, mccombs, and usc.. im sure you could share your goals and get some good school recommendations
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
First time poster, long time lurker. Just got the acceptance call today and will be attending! Applied 1/7, interview invitation 2/1, interview 2/3, accepted 2/13. Who's attending CBS Connect this week??
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts