Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q V0
WE: Accounting (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 07:00
nyukellogg2015 wrote:
Chupacabra wrote:
nyukellogg2015 wrote:
Hey all - what's the consensus on how long we can wait before following up with the interviewer? I had my interview on Monday, sent a thank-you letter on Tuesday morning, and have heard exactly nothing from him since then. [Side point: I just checked his business card and see he uses a different email address to the one that CBS had provided and that I had been communicating with until now. I assume it's fine because he did respond to my first email requesting the appointment, but of course this is not making me feel overly comfortable!]

I'd wait a week. It took my interviewer 3 weeks to submit my feedback...this was extremely annoying and frustrating. I waited a week (sent an email), waited another week (called and left a message) and waited another week and called the admissions office and they took over. After I called adcom my feedback was submitted on a Tuesday night and I got the acceptance call Wednesday morning. ha.

You don't want to be considered annoying and influence the feedback in a negative way. In the end it will all work out and given my experience it seems like the CBS interview was more of a "check the box" kinda thing.

Cool - I appreciate the advice. In my own super optimistic brain I had been hoping he'd submit it immediately (like Mappleby's person) so that I could have a chance of getting word in time to attend CBS connect this weekend, but at this point, whether I nudge him today or next week, that isn't going to happen. Kind of sucks because if I do get in I won't be around for the April one, but c'est la vie!

@NYUKellogg2015 I'm in the same boat with you! I had my interview on Tuesday and am now constantly checking my email hoping to see the notification that my interviewer submitted my feedback form. I think I'm going to wait until Tuesday before I send a follow-up email. Until then, I guess I'll continue my pacing...
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 07:43
kj2015 wrote:

@NYUKellogg2015 I'm in the same boat with you! I had my interview on Tuesday and am now constantly checking my email hoping to see the notification that my interviewer submitted my feedback form. I think I'm going to wait until Tuesday before I send a follow-up email. Until then, I guess I'll continue my pacing...

It's annoying, eh? The process just sort of doesn't make sense to me. We're at the mercy of alums with no vested interest, meantime every minute they delay hurts us because the class is filling up. Kind of strange all around. That said my interviewer was great and ideally I'll stay in touch with him - so in that sense it was a cool networking opportunity.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 37

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 08:49
For those already admitted or interviewed, do you have any tips on who to select for your interview?

I googled my three options and here are my thoughts on each

#1 - Lives close to my apt and job. Is in the same field than I am in but from the surface, have nothing else in common.

#2 - Can't find info on them on the internet.

#3 - We went to the same HS and went to college in the same region. We are also the same ethinicity.

I just don't want to piss off admissions by going with the 3rd option since they ask you to work from the top down.

Thoughts?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 08:56
kriddick2 wrote:
For those already admitted or interviewed, do you have any tips on who to select for your interview?

#1 - Lives close to my apt and job. Is in the same field than I am in but from the surface, have nothing else in common.

#3 - We went to the same HS and went to college in the same region. We are also the same ethinicity.

I just don't want to piss off admissions by going with the 3rd option since they ask you to work from the top down.

Thoughts?

Did I miss the place on the interview invitation that told you to work from the top down on the interviewer list? On mine it says "To schedule your interview, you should reach out via email to one of the Ambassadors on the above list. Please contact only one Ambassador at a time, and allow each Ambassador two business days to respond before contacting the next Ambassador on the list" and they are not actually even numbered. If I were you I would not even hesitate to reach out to #3 - I picked mine based on a few mutual personal interests I saw from my research--though he was also the first listed for me--and I think that helped the conversation run smoothly. I have no gotten my decision yet for what it's worth.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 09:40
just got dinged today, applied on 1/9. good luck to everyone else still waiting.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 10:16
applied 1/9. just got the ding. break a leg everyone else :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 12:05
mappleby wrote:
Just got the call for a Fellowship award! I guess that answers the question about Early Decision applicants. I honestly thought there was no way they would bother giving money to ED admits because we are already committed to the school. Glad I was mistaken.

Sooo.... you're saying you didn't believe the other extremely informative and courteous GMAT club user who informed you that he/she was ED+fellowship about a month ago? :wink:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 12:54
Any acceptance calls today?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 09:00
nyukellogg2015 wrote:
kriddick2 wrote:

Thoughts?

Did I miss the place on the interview invitation that told you to work from the top down on the interviewer list? On mine it says "To schedule your interview, you should reach out via email to one of the Ambassadors on the above list. Please contact only one Ambassador at a time, and allow each Ambassador two business days to respond before contacting the next Ambassador on the list" and they are not actually even numbered. If I were you I would not even hesitate to reach out to #3 - I picked mine based on a few mutual personal interests I saw from my research--though he was also the first listed for me--and I think that helped the conversation run smoothly. I have no gotten my decision yet for what it's worth.

You're right. I re-read the message from CBS and immediately wrote an email to #3. Here goes.
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.14

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 10:13
elian wrote:
Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Quick question: is it a good/bad sign if the interviewer is quick about getting your evaluation in? I interviewed last Thursday, and got the notification that my status had changed (feedback sent) by Sunday.

I think I was good at (1) building rapport, (2) laying out the reasons why I wanted an MBA and why at Columbia, and (3) being articulate. However, I did get a little sidetracked talking about the growth trajectory of emerging markets (what I want to focus on post-MBA) when I was laying out my goals. Thoughts?

Submitted: 01/02/13
Mid-Cycle Decision: 01/29/13 (27 days)
Interview: 02/07/13 (36 days)
Evaluation: 02/10/13 (39 days)
Final Decision: ???

I had my interview on 2/7 also, evaluation was submit by the end of the day and I haven't heard either. Not sure if that is comforting or not, but my interviewer said he was recommending me so keep thinking happy thought!
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.14

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 10:26
Applied 1/8
Invitation to interview received 2/1
Interviewed 2/7 (positive feedback)
Evaluation submit also on 2/7 (after COB)
No word, and was really hoping to hear something before the long weekend.
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 12:46
anamgu wrote:
Applied 1/8
Invitation to interview received 2/1
Interviewed 2/7 (positive feedback)
Evaluation submit also on 2/7 (after COB)
No word, and was really hoping to hear something before the long weekend.

What's the chance adcom works on Monday?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Statistics
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V50
GPA: 3.17
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 15:47
Has anyone received an interview who applied 1/20 or later? Feel like we should be getting close to that date at this point, seeing that a 1/9 received an interview invite on 2/1 or so.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 20:26
anyone else thinking of turning down serious $$ for cbs? i just got notice of full ride to stern (120k)
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 03:09
old1442 wrote:
anyone else thinking of turning down serious $$ for cbs? i just got notice of full ride to stern (120k)

Take full ride. Is that a serious question? Stern is like 3 spots lower in rankings. Is that worth 120k to you?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 14:18
Had a good experience scheduling interview with an alum. Took advice from previous posts of avoiding recent graduates though...
Current Student

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 14:48
djy2378 wrote:
Had a good experience scheduling interview with an alum. Took advice from previous posts of avoiding recent graduates though...

Why avoid recent graduates? The alum that I reached out to first is class of '11
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.77

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 32

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 08:14
....can we hope for some invites to go out today on this frigid [at least here in NY] monday?

i'm hoping for a (1) to pop up in my inbox!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 08:45
Applied 1/9. Ding'ed today.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 7

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 10:59
Hi Everyone,

I've been on Columbia's waitlist since late December (applied in early November) and was wondering if anyone has thought about submitting an additional recommendation to the waitlist manager? Columbia's instructions state that additional materials to supplement our applications can be submitted if there has been a significant change since our original submission. While a third recommendation would not necessarily represent a "significant change," I was thinking that this could still be a good way to signify continued interest in getting off the waitlist.

I would appreciate any thoughts that you guys have on the matter!

Thanks!
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2013, 10:59