Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.89
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V38
GRE 1: Q158 V152

GRE 2: Q160 V155
GPA: 3.2
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
woofbearus wrote:
Just dinged having interviewed on March 7th.

My best instinct is that my profile wasn't really a good fit for the school (I want to transition from finance to general management), and didn't do enough in my apps and interview to convince them otherwise.

In hindsight, I guess I should have been more thoughtful about which schools I was applying to and being more cognizant of what specific schools look for.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting. They do seem to turn around within two weeks of your interview submission, so at least not that long of a wait!

Looks like you have some decent options left haha... you might just have to settle for wharton or hbs - i hope it's that bad :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V46
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Ding
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Just got an invite to interview! So crazy...I had totally put Columbia out of mind and have been focusing on the other schools I'm waiting to hear back from. Can anyone share their interview experiences? So far the two I've had were soooo different from each other.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
In or Ding?
Share you story in the CHAT

Join GMATClub CHAT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Just got dinged, however the notification was a bit odd. It said as follows:

Thank you for applying to Columbia Business School. Unfortunately, after reviewing your application for August 2013 entry, the Admission Committee is unable to offer you a place. However, based on the strength of your professional background, stated career goals, and personal profile, the Committee thinks you might be a better fit for our January program.

The January program offers the same core curriculum, world-class professors, and MBA degree, but allows students to complete the MBA in 16 consecutive months with no summer internship. This program is specifically designed for those who do not need an internship to reach their short term professional goals. If you are interested in exploring the January program visit our website to learn more.

Although there is no guarantee of admission, we encourage you to investigate this option. Should you have an interest in applying for the January program, please contact our Admissions Office and, for more information about the reapplication process, see our website.

We thank you for your interest in Columbia Business School and are sorry that we must disappoint you at this time. However, if the January program fits your plans, we hope to hear from you again.

Has anyone received a ding like this? Any thoughts? What am I supposed to make of it? For the record - I am not interested in the January program as I believe I would benefit from a summer internship. Do you think I can try and explain that to them in writing?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
mbaindahouse wrote:
Just got dinged, however the notification was a bit odd. It said as follows:

Thank you for applying to Columbia Business School. Unfortunately, after reviewing your application for August 2013 entry, the Admission Committee is unable to offer you a place. However, based on the strength of your professional background, stated career goals, and personal profile, the Committee thinks you might be a better fit for our January program.

The January program offers the same core curriculum, world-class professors, and MBA degree, but allows students to complete the MBA in 16 consecutive months with no summer internship. This program is specifically designed for those who do not need an internship to reach their short term professional goals. If you are interested in exploring the January program visit our website to learn more.

Although there is no guarantee of admission, we encourage you to investigate this option. Should you have an interest in applying for the January program, please contact our Admissions Office and, for more information about the reapplication process, see our website.

We thank you for your interest in Columbia Business School and are sorry that we must disappoint you at this time. However, if the January program fits your plans, we hope to hear from you again.

Has anyone received a ding like this? Any thoughts? What am I supposed to make of it? For the record - I am not interested in the January program as I believe I would benefit from a summer internship. Do you think I can try and explain that to them in writing?

Hi mbaindahouse, sorry to hear about the ding. I've heard of others getting a letter like that with their ding. If you plan on reapplying next year for 2 year program, then I think you definitely should explain (maybe in optional essay? or reapplicant essay if they have one) why you think you need the internship. But if you're not going to reapply next year, I don't think writing them a letter will really do anything. Highly doubt they would rescind the ding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.89
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Does Columbia have an admit weekend given its rolling admissions process?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBAforEdReform wrote:

From what Ive been told, Columbia Connect is supposed to be April 11-13

all-mba-admit-weekends-145577.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
MBAforEdReform wrote:

From what Ive been told, Columbia Connect is supposed to be April 11-13

all-mba-admit-weekends-145577.html

Correct, they have 2 of them but the first one was in February.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Already made your decision ? Have a look at the following threads and let us know your story:

1.) 2013 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results - NO DISCUSSION!

2.)The evolution of your B-school pursuit

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey guys. For those of you who attended the last Columbia Connect event, how important would you say the day sessions are?

There is a half day session thurs and a full day session friday next week. I've been taking a lot of vacation at work recently so I'm not super excited about asking for another day and a half off. I am pretty much set to go to Columbia, so this isn't really a decision making thing for me, more a learn any important info and meet some more classmates (though I've already met quite a few since I live in NYC). Just curious if anyone thinks missing the first day is no biggie (side note, if I miss the first day will I not get my t shirt? ha! I want all the freebies I can get!) so I could just take the Friday.

Any insight from people who went last time would be much appreciated!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Dakells wrote:
Hey guys. For those of you who attended the last Columbia Connect event, how important would you say the day sessions are?

There is a half day session thurs and a full day session friday next week. I've been taking a lot of vacation at work recently so I'm not super excited about asking for another day and a half off. I am pretty much set to go to Columbia, so this isn't really a decision making thing for me, more a learn any important info and meet some more classmates (though I've already met quite a few since I live in NYC). Just curious if anyone thinks missing the first day is no biggie (side note, if I miss the first day will I not get my t shirt? ha! I want all the freebies I can get!) so I could just take the Friday.

I'm not going to Connect II so I haven't seen exactly what the sessions are on each day so it is hard to say. If you can at least swing it to make the stuff on Friday and the optional items on Saturday I would do that. You could even go to the evening portion Thursday as well (probably drinks somewhere) even if you can't make the daytime sessions. There were a lot of already committed students at Connect I and they know that. So there is some stuff trying to sell you on the school but for the most part it is an educational thing. They had good sessions on housing, financial aid, clubs/activities. The lunch portion talking with students in your projected career field helped (probably more for career switchers than those going back to the same field). Plus you get to meet lots of your future classmates. What's one more day off? You're about to quite in a couple months anyways right?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
Dakells wrote:

I'm not going to Connect II so I haven't seen exactly what the sessions are on each day so it is hard to say. If you can at least swing it to make the stuff on Friday and the optional items on Saturday I would do that. You could even go to the evening portion Thursday as well (probably drinks somewhere) even if you can't make the daytime sessions. There were a lot of already committed students at Connect I and they know that. So there is some stuff trying to sell you on the school but for the most part it is an educational thing. They had good sessions on housing, financial aid, clubs/activities. The lunch portion talking with students in your projected career field helped (probably more for career switchers than those going back to the same field). Plus you get to meet lots of your future classmates. What's one more day off? You're about to quite in a couple months anyways right?

Thanks for the response Mappleby! Hmm the lunch thing does sound good. I know, I'm leaving anyway next month, but I think I have all this guilt because not much is going on at work anyway so I literally do nothing all day and then have been taking all these vacation days. Just gotta tell myself that in a month none of this face time will matter!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Ding here after the interview. My denial letter is below. As it appears that CBS' denial letters vary, could someone please share if they received the same letter? Perhaps my banking background is causing me to over-analyze and look for cues in language, but I figured I'd give it a shot:

Thank you for applying to Columbia Business School. After careful review and consideration by the Admissions Committee, we are unable to offer you admission.

We did not make this decision easily. We appreciate the time and effort you spent preparing your application and your interest in Columbia Business School. While it is never pleasant to receive disappointing news, we hope that you will find other ways to achieve your professional goals.

Thank you again for your interest in Columbia Business School. We wish you much success in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

MBA Admissions
Columbia Business School

Is this a standard denial letter or is this more strongly worded than those that others have received? Normally, I would interpret such a letter as neutral, but after seeing a poster's rather encouraging denial letter (ie, nudging toward J-term), I am left to wonder where this one ranks among the others. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gmatrockah wrote:
Ding here after the interview. My denial letter is below. As it appears that CBS' denial letters vary, could someone please share if they received the same letter? Perhaps my banking background is causing me to over-analyze and look for cues in language, but I figured I'd give it a shot:

Thank you for applying to Columbia Business School. After careful review and consideration by the Admissions Committee, we are unable to offer you admission.

We did not make this decision easily. We appreciate the time and effort you spent preparing your application and your interest in Columbia Business School. While it is never pleasant to receive disappointing news, we hope that you will find other ways to achieve your professional goals.

Thank you again for your interest in Columbia Business School. We wish you much success in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

MBA Admissions
Columbia Business School

Is this a standard denial letter or is this more strongly worded than those that others have received? Normally, I would interpret such a letter as neutral, but after seeing a poster's rather encouraging denial letter (ie, nudging toward J-term), I am left to wonder where this one ranks among the others. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hi gmatrockah, sorry to hear about your ding. I'd say that's a pretty standard ding letter. I've heard of the adcom saying they think applicants would be a better fit for the J-term or the executive program like you mention. I think they typically do that when the applicant hasn't convinced the adcom that they need a full time MBA with internship (their goals might be very close to current work experience or they already have a ton of work experience and would be better suited to the executive program). I don't think having that j-term bit is better than just the standard ding you got, I think it just gives more insight into why they rejected the candidate. I actually think it implies that they wouldn't have much luck applying to 2-yr program next year and if they really want Columbia, should consider the J-Term.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Thanks a lot for the info Dakells. I really prepared hard for CBS and it was certainly my first choice - bummer. How important is the CBS interview anyway? I've heard some people say it's a make or break while others have said it's more of a formality. Maybe it's somewhere in between? I'm just thinking what my chances would be if I were to re-apply next year. I certainly think I'm a good fit for the program culturally (and have friends in the program) so I'm leaning towards my denial not being a "fit" issue. It could have been from applying a couple weeks past the fellowship deadline, a time when there are already so few spots left.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gmatrockah wrote:
Thanks a lot for the info Dakells. I really prepared hard for CBS and it was certainly my first choice - bummer. How important is the CBS interview anyway? I've heard some people say it's a make or break while others have said it's more of a formality. Maybe it's somewhere in between? I'm just thinking what my chances would be if I were to re-apply next year. I certainly think I'm a good fit for the program culturally (and have friends in the program) so I'm leaning towards my denial not being a "fit" issue. It could have been from applying a couple weeks past the fellowship deadline, a time when there are already so few spots left.

Bummer indeed. I don't think the CBS interview is THAT important. I am no expert so don't really know, but it seems like people on this thread didn't get in after what they thought was a great interview and people got in who didn't think they had a great interview. My interview was fine, definitely not great. I left my interview having no clue whether the alum liked me and there were definitely some bonehead things I said I wish I hadn't said, and I got in. I think with so many different people doing the interviews you really can't have it be all that important to the process (obviously it's important, but I don't think the interview invite conversion rate is as high for CBS as say, Stern). I definitely think you applied a little late in the process. If you really want CBS, definitely apply before the Jan deadline, even ED if you know CBS is the place for you. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts