Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '15 (S)
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 06:57
anyone having any info on interview invites / app status change..??
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 07:23
gc329xyz wrote:

No changes for me yet. Still at "Submitted" :?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 07:33
So am I, for more than 2 weeks now.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 08:00
Bananas wrote:
gc329xyz wrote:

No changes for me yet. Still at "Submitted" :?

Is it saying "submitted" ? Because mine saying "received" and there are couple of green checks for GMAT, Recos etc..
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 08:13
i guess it should be Received for all.. last 2 years the interviews had started by this time... i wonder whats the plan this year...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 08:34
I think they are working through bugs with the new application system. I'm sure that is delaying things a bit. The rolling process is funny - it can go under review and then two days later you're invited to interview. Within 2 weeks you could have a decision!

Hang in there folks! Anything good is worth waiting for!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 08:03
polyaris wrote:
Quote:
One thing - I live abroad and cannot visit NYC before my application (unless a random lucky business trip comes up), does anyone know if this has a big impact?

Not even a tiny one, otherwise those who aren't able to travel would be disadvantaged.

Count me in for CBS.

Agreed. My understanding is that schools won't fault people who do not visit....unless you live in that area to begin with! I have a buddy who went to Columbia undergrad, lived in NYC, and applied for the MBA at CBS. Didn't bother visiting and didn't even get an interview despite solid stats.
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 07:47
Submitted on 07/13 for ED... fingers crossed!!! good luck to everybody
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 08:27
Good luck HeFe! Hey BranStark, just for my edification, what kind of stats would you deem solid?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Accounting (Other)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 27

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 13:43
Just received an email from Columbia about a J-Term Info Session. See below. Let me know if anyone is planning on attending. I just submitted my RSVP.

Please join us on campus to learn more about Columbia Business School's 16-month January-entry MBA program. The Spotlight On: January panel will consist of current January students and Admissions Committee members speaking about this accelerated option and the Columbia Business School student experience.

Thursday, August 2nd — 6:00 p.m.

Uris Hall, Room 142
3022 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 23:29
They again made available "application proof" and they fixed most of the bugs.. But still my explanation on the extracurricular events and job descripton is not fully seen in the form... anybody has the same problem?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 08:39
Goodluck 2013 applicants! I'll be seeing you next year :D

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 23:50
Hello guys,

I am planning to apply to CBS in the Early Decision Round, but I have a related query. Can someone please clarify if the binding agreement stops the applicant even to apply to the other US B-Schools till the results are declared (I guess it shouldn't be the case but just wanted to confirm).

Also the agreement says that the admitted candidate needs to withdraw all the other applications/admits upon receiving a final admissions results. I guess this mean that even though Columbia is the applicants first choice (as he is applying in ED), to be safe he can still go ahead and apply to other US B-schools in the first deadline (as Columbia is quite selective).

Please let me know if i am wrong in my understanding.

Thanks a lot,
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 05:58
You are correct in your understanding. I'm applying Early Decision to CBS this year but also applying in Round 1 to Chicago, Fuqua and Tuck. Basically what they are saying is that if I'm accepted to CBS then I should contact Chicago, Duke and Dartmouth and tell them that I am attending Columbia and they can withdraw my application. In reality you can keep the applications in and just turn down their offer if you get accepted. The main point is that you pay the $7,000 to Columbia and accept their offer of admission regardless of any other schools you may have applied to.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 06:40
Thanks for the clarification mappleby :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '15

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 07:06
submitted in june but still not being reviewed...

ne1 have their status changed to under review?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Accounting (Other)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 27

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 07:08
Hi Everyone,

I have a question/situation that I need your help with. Two days ago I sent my manager the link to fill out CBS's recommendation letter. The next day I received an email from CBS saying my manager had just submitted the letter! HOLY COW! She did it in less than 24 hours! I figured I'd give her the chance to look over it and we'd sit down and talk about it. I told her I was applying to CBS and wanted to know if she could write a letter for me and she was more than happy to write one. I know it's a great recommendation letter (because my reviews have been great) but I'm not sure she has used specific examples. I waived my right to view the letter, so now I'm not sure if she answered all the questions CBS asks. I will speak to her today about it, but just wanted to ask you guys what to do in this case. Should I ask to see the letter? Should I get one more person to write a letter? I'm confused. Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 07:18
its been more than a month the status havnt changed... last 2 year by this time even few interview reports were submitted or even final decision in some cases...
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 27

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 07:22
KAS1 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a question/situation that I need your help with. Two days ago I sent my manager the link to fill out CBS's recommendation letter. The next day I received an email from CBS saying my manager had just submitted the letter! HOLY COW! She did it in less than 24 hours! I figured I'd give her the chance to look over it and we'd sit down and talk about it. I told her I was applying to CBS and wanted to know if she could write a letter for me and she was more than happy to write one. I know it's a great recommendation letter (because my reviews have been great) but I'm not sure she has used specific examples. I waived my right to view the letter, so now I'm not sure if she answered all the questions CBS asks. I will speak to her today about it, but just wanted to ask you guys what to do in this case. Should I ask to see the letter? Should I get one more person to write a letter? I'm confused. Thanks!

So I was in a similar situation last year. Great reviews at work and everything. My recommender didn't submit in one day, but she was mighty fast. It was the first one she submitted, so next day I walked into her office and thanked her. She said no sweat, it wasnt much of a problem. There's a place where they asked me to write 3-5 adjectives for you, and I wrote 3-4 adjectoves, thats it took me a min

So basically, (I think) she screwed up my recommendation a bit, as she didnt focus much on quantifying adjectives, examples etc. and made it a little too, well, to the point. Could have made CBS think she wasnt too committed to write a reco for me, meaning either I am not as good as I say I am, or I chose my recommender poorly. both negative points for me

SO whenever you meet your manager, make sure you check on how details oriented she was in her reco. Asking to see the letter may be a little too desperate OR you doubting her capabilities, which you very well might be but you dont want her to think like that about you right?

Hope this helps.

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 07:45
gc329xyz wrote:
its been more than a month the status havnt changed... last 2 year by this time even few interview reports were submitted or even final decision in some cases...

Yes! It's very strange...
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2012, 07:45