Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.23
WE: Asset Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 11:47
bullsfan4life wrote:
Does anyone know if Columbia's online application system provides specific status updates like they did last year. Specifically do they inform you when the application goes from "submitted" to "under review". I submitted my application for the J-term nearly 2 weeks ago and my application still hasn't gone into "under review" or "complete" so I was concerned. Also, does anyone know if re applicants who interviewed and were subsequently dinged during their first application to CBS will be asked to interview again? Or is the decision rendered just based off the first interview? Thanks.

I am wondering the exact same thing. I read on a business week forum posting that CBS doesn't necessarily need to re-interview an applicant if it really likes them, but this posting was from like 5 years ago so who knows
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 11:53
bullsfan4life wrote:
Does anyone know if Columbia's online application system provides specific status updates like they did last year. Specifically do they inform you when the application goes from "submitted" to "under review". I submitted my application for the J-term nearly 2 weeks ago and my application still hasn't gone into "under review" or "complete" so I was concerned.

Nope, no status updates. The files that are required are checked off (resume, transcript, GMAT, recs) and after you have a line of check marks, you assume the app is probably complete. You don't get to know when your app is under review or anything of that sort - in fact, I didn't get any change at all on my status page from when I submitted until I got an interview invite. Then you get an email, and the status page lists an additional form they want you to fill out, to find interviewers in your area. According to others on this thread, you also won't know when your interviewer submits their report (so you can't email them to hurry them along). The whole process this year is incredibly blind.

No idea on re-apps though, sorry.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.55

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 19:36
lucyvanpelt wrote:
Thought I might do an interview debrief for those who are still watching and waiting, because I have nothing better to do and am already starting to get antsy. I hate that CBS' app status tracker this year doesn't actually show status changes -- so we have no way to know if the interviewer submitted the feedback form or not yet :(

Anyway, got my interview invite on 9/12. Got the names of my potential interviewers on 9/13 and emailed the first one on the list that day. She had already moved out of my area, and responded quickly, so I emailed the second interviewer also on Thursday. No response, so Monday night emailed the third person -- was getting really nervous at this point that no one would response. Thankfully the third person on my list responded, and we set the interview up for Saturday morning (9/23)

The interview itself was a LOT more formal than I expected from what I've read here on the boards. I know all interviewers have their own style, but mine was a very recent grad and asked to meet at a coffeeshop instead of a workplace, so I assumed it might be a little more relaxed. Nope - all in business attire, and had a portfolio spread out on the table with my resume and a notepad. Felt a lot like a job interview, actually. My interviewer was definitely cordial and spoke very passionately and positively about the community at CBS, but I'm not sure what to think overall because it pretty aloof and professional throughout.

Questions:
- tell me about yourself -- used this to launch into a very broad interview of my resume and how I got where I am. There weren't that many resume specific questions, though.
- why MBA, esp with my background
- why CBS?
- lots of CBS-specific questions: how much did I know about the core and flex-core, and how I wanted to use this to achieve my goals? Specific classes and clubs I was interested in? Other opportunities I might want to look into? This was definitely IMO the biggest chunk of the questions and where my interviewer dug in the most, and it matched up pretty well with Essay 1b (where they ask you to watch the diversity video). My advice to future interviewees: really get to know the CBS methodology, class structure, clubs, etc!
- tell me of a time you faced adversity, and follow-ups to this: what makes a good leader and why you are a good leader, how you might bring that to your studies and to your learning teams, etc.
This took somewhere around 35-40 minutes.

Then my interviewer let me ask questions about the various opportunities at CBS, clubs, etc. The emphasis was definitely on COMMUNITY, getting involved in clubs, learning from other people both in classes and in social settings, etc. The feeling I got was that he wasn't feeling me out so much in terms of why I wanted to get an MBA, but how I might be able to fit into the intellectual and esp. the social community of CBS. He really stressed that you go to CBS not for the hard skills as much as for the networking and soft skills and the people.

Total interview time - a little over an hour. Overall, I feel pretty ambivalent about it -- we talked a lot and my interviewer was friendly but so formal that I couldn't get any specific vibes off of him. Worries me, compared to some of the really enthusiastic interview debriefs I've read here and on other sites...

Anyway, hope this helps some of you out there preparing for your own interviews! For me, it's now just time to settle in, wait, and try to stop worrying either way.

Once your interviewer submits their feedback, you will receive a status update confirming that your interview has been submitted and your application is moving into the next stage of the process.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 151 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 05:32
This post received
KUDOS
Today, EssaySnark (www.essaysnark.com) has a post up that says how they havent seen enough Columbia apps coming in till now, versus last year where 12 people at Columbia had already applied and had been accepted at the school in ED, who had worked with Essay Snark. (Full Disclosure: Havent read the whole thing as I dont have premium access.)

Until now, there is NO NEWS at all of even 1 ED admit on this forum or elsewhere (or if 1, then not 3-4 etc. By this time last year, multiple people had already been accepted)

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 05:48
Quick question on the application:

In the "Do you know any current students at Columbia Business School?" part, do you guys list students that you reached out to with questions about the program or students you met at information sessions? Or do you put them in the previous "Have you ever spoken with a Columbia Business School Program Representative or attended a Columbia Information Session?"

In other words, is the "people you know" part just for friends/family rather than people you had one conversation with? Do they reach out these students in the review process?

Thanks.
Current Student

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 06:55
str1der wrote:
Today, EssaySnark (http://www.essaysnark.com) has a post up that says how they havent seen enough Columbia apps coming in till now, versus last year where 12 people at Columbia had already applied and had been accepted at the school in ED, who had worked with Essay Snark. (Full Disclosure: Havent read the whole thing as I dont have premium access.)

Until now, there is NO NEWS at all of even 1 ED admit on this forum or elsewhere (or if 1, then not 3-4 etc. By this time last year, multiple people had already been accepted)

Thanks for the link str1der, interesting indeed. Maybe the delay in admitting ED applicants vs previous years has to do with the appointment of the new assistant dean of admissions
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 27

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 10:16
Gumbymc wrote:
str1der wrote:
Today, EssaySnark (http://www.essaysnark.com) has a post up that says how they havent seen enough Columbia apps coming in till now, versus last year where 12 people at Columbia had already applied and had been accepted at the school in ED, who had worked with Essay Snark. (Full Disclosure: Havent read the whole thing as I dont have premium access.)

Thanks for the link str1der, interesting indeed. Maybe the delay in admitting ED applicants vs previous years has to do with the appointment of the new assistant dean of admissions

I think they put all ED applications on hold, have gone back to the drawing board on managing yield, and even discussing a smaller class to maintain selectivity given how that directly affects ranking and Columbia has anyways been slipping in that aspect. What that means then is that there is no real advantage between applying in Aug Vs. Ovt 3rd - the deadline. My sense is that they will start reviewing all ED applications together and the whole meaning of 'rolling admissions' will be lost. Heck, Columbia may even change its process next year, eliminate the rolling admissions process, and make somewhere in Sep as the deadline for its ED round and the Oct one as Round 1.

Latest Blog Entry:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: CBS '15 (A)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 10:59
Trivi888 wrote:

Once your interviewer submits their feedback, you will receive a status update confirming that your interview has been submitted and your application is moving into the next stage of the process.

Yes, I interviewed on 9/19, interviewer called to tell me he submitted his writeup to the CBS system on 9/20, and I received an e-mail stating there was a status update to my application on 9/21; you login to your app and it is highlighted and there's a link that says "View Update >>" where it thanks you for completing your interview as it tells you your interview feedback has been received.

Very interesting article on the pause. I believe someone on these boards mentioned hearing back recently so I suppose it is not a complete freeze. Good luck to everyone and I'll be sure to post here when I hear back.

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it." -Thoreau

Intern
Intern
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 06:25
str1der wrote:
Gumbymc wrote:
str1der wrote:

I think they put all ED applications on hold, have gone back to the drawing board on managing yield, and even discussing a smaller class to maintain selectivity given how that directly affects ranking and Columbia has anyways been slipping in that aspect. What that means then is that there is no real advantage between applying in Aug Vs. Ovt 3rd - the deadline. My sense is that they will start reviewing all ED applications together and the whole meaning of 'rolling admissions' will be lost. Heck, Columbia may even change its process next year, eliminate the rolling admissions process, and make somewhere in Sep as the deadline for its ED round and the Oct one as Round 1.

These are some serious changes you're talking about. Are you speculating or you have strong evidence to believe this is true?
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 27

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 09:30
shoesncars wrote:
Gumbymc wrote:
str1der wrote:

These are some serious changes you're talking about. Are you speculating or you have strong evidence to believe this is true?

Pure speculation, but given hw things stand, I wont be surprised if they are actually doing this, some parts maybe if not all.

Latest Blog Entry:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 06:53
While I don't plan on dwelling on it too long, I sure would like a little feedback on why I was denied. Do you folks have any ideas regarding the best way to figure that out? Should I call or write? Who would I call? Any thoughts are helpful.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 07:02
Bananas wrote:
While I don't plan on dwelling on it too long, I sure would like a little feedback on why I was denied. Do you folks have any ideas regarding the best way to figure that out? Should I call or write? Who would I call? Any thoughts are helpful.

Unfortunately I don't think you will have much luck. You could pay for a ding analysis from an admissions consultant but the school isn't going to tell you much. They make it pretty clear on the website that they don't provide feedback to dinged applicants. There are so many thousands of applicants who are denied each year that it would take up all their time talking to people about why they didn't get in.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 08:27
mappleby wrote:
Bananas wrote:

Unfortunately I don't think you will have much luck. You could pay for a ding analysis from an admissions consultant but the school isn't going to tell you much. They make it pretty clear on the website that they don't provide feedback to dinged applicants. There are so many thousands of applicants who are denied each year that it would take up all their time talking to people about why they didn't get in.

You probably can't get feedback from the adcoms, but you might be able to reach out to your interviewer and ask him for advice or tips to improve your candidacy moving forward. He obviously doesn't have your essays to look at, but he might be able to comment on your resume, interview, and particularly how strong he felt your "why MBA" answer was (which will be very important moving forward). You won't necessarily get a response from your interviewer but it may be worth a shot.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 15

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 09:31
Bananas wrote:

Post up your stats and you could get feedback here.

You could contact your interviewer, but that depends on your interaction with your interviewer. For myself, I had an awesome interview, it was really more conversational than formal. I was eventually waitlisted for CBS , I contacted my interviewer about my status, and he said he would send an email to adcoms to help me out.

In the end, I told him I was dinged and he said I was shocked. He gave my some pointers (e.g. take gmat again).
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 09:34
prorsum wrote:
Bananas wrote:

Post up your stats and you could get feedback here.

You could contact your interviewer, but that depends on your interaction with your interviewer. For myself, I had an awesome interview, it was really more conversational than formal. I was eventually waitlisted for CBS , I contacted my interviewer about my status, and he said he would send an email to adcoms to help me out.

In the end, I told him I was dinged and he said I was shocked. He gave my some pointers (e.g. take gmat again).

He told you to take the GMAT again when you had a 740??? That is crazy.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 15

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 09:47
mtk232 wrote:

I had a 690 applying to CBS last year. Re-took it this year, before the change.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Accounting (Other)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 27

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 13:21
Submitted 9/23/12 for J-Term 2013! Fingers crossed!!

Also it looks like CBS accepted a couple more students this week as they've been added to the Facebook group. From 28 to 36 members.
Current Student

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 14:37
Hey guys,
Got a ding today for ED. Completely confused given I was waitlisted when I initially applied this past January and I know my profile has improved significantly since then (not to mention there's been a huge drop in CBS apps!). Good luck to the rest of you guys!! Back to the drawing board..
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 21:35
All these dings are starting to make me nervous! Good luck on your other apps Gumbymc.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 02:09
Expert's post
mtk232 wrote:

Oh man!! I've seen this happen a few times. Easy explanation: laziness.

Cause to figure out what actually went wrong he'd have to sit out and think, so they just throw out the GMAT excuse...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2012, 02:09