Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Nov 2014, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Location: Slovenia
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ESSEC '15 (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 22:42
Hey guys! On september 8th I was planning to take the GMAT exam and after complete my application (essays etc.). My question is, will the time to 3th of October (the early decision deadline) be enough for the GMAT results to come in and I will be able to post them with my application? Thanks for your help.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Location: Slovenia
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ESSEC '15 (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 23:32
ahsiao0208 wrote:
You will receive an unofficial GMAT score immediately after taking your test, and if I'm not mistaken, you can use that unofficial transcript to submit. If and when you are admitted, you will be required to send the official scores, but of course by then you will already have received them.


Thank you for a quick answer! Yes, that's exactly what I am thinking. I read somewhere on the Columbia admission webpage it is possible to post the unofficial results and submit "the real deal" when and if you are admitted. It would be nice though if someone else can confirm this as well. When the admission office gives me an official answer I will post that as well.
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 374
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 27

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 00:46
Reno wrote:
ahsiao0208 wrote:
You will receive an unofficial GMAT score immediately after taking your test, and if I'm not mistaken, you can use that unofficial transcript to submit. If and when you are admitted, you will be required to send the official scores, but of course by then you will already have received them.


Thank you for a quick answer! Yes, that's exactly what I am thinking. I read somewhere on the Columbia admission webpage it is possible to post the unofficial results and submit "the real deal" when and if you are admitted. It would be nice though if someone else can confirm this as well. When the admission office gives me an official answer I will post that as well.


Confirmed.
_________________

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Location: Slovenia
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ESSEC '15 (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 01:04
str1der wrote:
Confirmed.


Thanks!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2012
Posts: 21
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 08:32
A follow-up question to reno's: it doesn't seem like the Columbia app will let you get by with just inputting the math/verbal GMAT subscores - when you go to the Review Page for the application, it gives an error saying that the GMAT score breakdown is required, and only allows you to bypass this if you enter an AWA score (even if the unofficial score report is uploaded). If you're hoping to submit with unofficial scores, should you just put "0" in the AWA field? Will admit officers understand that you just don't have the breakdown yet, and the "0" is just a placeholder? Or do you have to wait to submit until you know your AWA score?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Applying
Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Posts: 56
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 08:54
lucyvanpelt wrote:
A follow-up question to reno's: it doesn't seem like the Columbia app will let you get by with just inputting the math/verbal GMAT subscores - when you go to the Review Page for the application, it gives an error saying that the GMAT score breakdown is required, and only allows you to bypass this if you enter an AWA score (even if the unofficial score report is uploaded). If you're hoping to submit with unofficial scores, should you just put "0" in the AWA field? Will admit officers understand that you just don't have the breakdown yet, and the "0" is just a placeholder? Or do you have to wait to submit until you know your AWA score?


Yes. Input 0 for scores that you've not yet received. This is the official guidance from admissions. They will confirm all the scores once the official and final scores are sent to the school by GMAC. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2012
Posts: 20
Location: China
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 326 Q170 V156
GPA: 3.51
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 05:12
mappleby wrote:
I attended the On-Campus information session being hosted by the admissions committee on Monday of this week. They didn't have anything earth-shattering to say but it was good to visit the campus. I've only been to NYC once before and that was just to the Times Square area so I wanted to actually see Columbia. Summer classes are out so I couldn't sit in on a class unfortunately but I did get the chance to talk to a few students. The woman from the Admissions Council who ran the session stated that they had started reviewing applications 2 weeks ago for next year. That seems to jive with what people are being told on the phone even if the website doesn't appear to be updating properly. She also said that if you are applying Regular Decision you can submit at any time however you will not go under review until the first week of December most likely. It just takes that long to get through all the ED applications.

Thanks for the info. I submitted my application on 28th, July, and nothing changed on the status since then. Fingers crossed and wish us all good luck:)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2010
Posts: 29
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '15 (S)
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 06:14
2 months now and waiting...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2012
Posts: 52
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 06:34
6 weeks for me...
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Applying
Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Posts: 56
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 07:05
gc329xyz wrote:
2 months now and waiting...


Same for me. It sounds like the process is underway though. We should be looking out for interview invites (if we're lucky enough to land one) in the next 2-3 weeks.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2011
Posts: 16
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 07:29
Bananas wrote:
gc329xyz wrote:
2 months now and waiting...


Same for me. It sounds like the process is underway though. We should be looking out for interview invites (if we're lucky enough to land one) in the next 2-3 weeks.


It seems that this year Columbia admission process is not so rolling...
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Applying
Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Posts: 56
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 07:50
HeFe wrote:
Bananas wrote:
gc329xyz wrote:
2 months now and waiting...


Same for me. It sounds like the process is underway though. We should be looking out for interview invites (if we're lucky enough to land one) in the next 2-3 weeks.


It seems that this year Columbia admission process is not so rolling...


Haha - that's funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXDo4dL7SU
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 18:40
Bananas wrote:
gc329xyz wrote:
2 months now and waiting...


Same for me. It sounds like the process is underway though. We should be looking out for interview invites (if we're lucky enough to land one) in the next 2-3 weeks.


The admissions officer on campus told me they were still reviewing applications for 2012 enrollment in June. How did you submit for next year the first week of June? That seems very early even for early decision.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 18:46
Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum as I am also applying to CBS.

I wanted to thank everyone for the helpful information and insights into their own experiences. I was dinged by CBS last year and I can really appreciate those who are sharing their stories of being turned down.

An intro:

I am reapplying to CBS this coming year swapping from fall to J term. I'm applying with a 700GMAT and with a background in family business.

I noticed this year that under Extracurricular activities, there is a field called "Description of Involvement". Did anyone get any guidelines on how to answer this? It seems the text box is unlimited and I don't know if they are looking for a paragraph, a few bullet points or something else. If anyone received any guidance on how to answer this section, it would be most appreciated

In addition, under Employment, there is a section labeled Description. How do you guys think that your description should differentiate from your resume (if at all). I'm thinking of putting 5 bullet points under each giving a sense of what my function was and what responsibilities I had.

Thanks!

-Chris
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2010
Posts: 63
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.23
WE: Asset Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 06:47
CP45286 wrote:
Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum as I am also applying to CBS.

I wanted to thank everyone for the helpful information and insights into their own experiences. I was dinged by CBS last year and I can really appreciate those who are sharing their stories of being turned down.

An intro:

I am reapplying to CBS this coming year swapping from fall to J term. I'm applying with a 700GMAT and with a background in family business.

I noticed this year that under Extracurricular activities, there is a field called "Description of Involvement". Did anyone get any guidelines on how to answer this? It seems the text box is unlimited and I don't know if they are looking for a paragraph, a few bullet points or something else. If anyone received any guidance on how to answer this section, it would be most appreciated

In addition, under Employment, there is a section labeled Description. How do you guys think that your description should differentiate from your resume (if at all). I'm thinking of putting 5 bullet points under each giving a sense of what my function was and what responsibilities I had.

Thanks!

-Chris



Hey Chris,
I'm also reapplying (for entry fall 2013 though). I think the "descirption / description of involvement" area is meant to be a list of responsibilities of your job/EC whereas the resume is supposed to be more accomplishment oriented. That's the way I'm approaching it at least. Good luck with J-term!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2011
Posts: 75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 19

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 06:20
HeFe wrote:
Bananas wrote:
gc329xyz wrote:
2 months now and waiting...


Same for me. It sounds like the process is underway though. We should be looking out for interview invites (if we're lucky enough to land one) in the next 2-3 weeks.


It seems that this year Columbia admission process is not so rolling...


Lol!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 08:28
Anybody know if the Financing Your MBA section is meant to cover the full Student Budget or just the tuition to attend Columbia?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Posts: 87
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Accounting (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 27

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 07:09
CBS '15 | Regular Decision | 2 Year MBA | 1 week, 4 days ago | w******** | 700 | Denied without Interview


I just saw this on the first page of this thread. CBS has started releasing decisions. This has to be for the J-Term, right?!?! YICKS!!!
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 374
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 27

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 07:16
Moss wrote:
mappleby wrote:
Anybody know if the Financing Your MBA section is meant to cover the full Student Budget or just the tuition to attend Columbia?


Your whole student budget. Nobody really knows how they use this information. I more or less said "lever up!" I think possibly its to help people ask critical financing questions of themselves before applying versus after. Someone probably showed the adcoms some study that said it increases yield by reducing the number of applicants who don't understand the financing costs until after being admitted (and then subsequently drop), causing them to add this section.

Obviously they don't expect you to get a commitment letter from your local bank before applying, so the exercise really just makes sure you have some sort of plan in place.



The application clearly mentions "tuition". Hence, you should limit this to the tuition expenditure, but cover it in such a way that the cost gets covered including inflation for next year.
_________________

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 14:52
str1der wrote:
Moss wrote:
mappleby wrote:
Anybody know if the Financing Your MBA section is meant to cover the full Student Budget or just the tuition to attend Columbia?


Your whole student budget. Nobody really knows how they use this information. I more or less said "lever up!" I think possibly its to help people ask critical financing questions of themselves before applying versus after. Someone probably showed the adcoms some study that said it increases yield by reducing the number of applicants who don't understand the financing costs until after being admitted (and then subsequently drop), causing them to add this section.

Obviously they don't expect you to get a commitment letter from your local bank before applying, so the exercise really just makes sure you have some sort of plan in place.



The application clearly mentions "tuition". Hence, you should limit this to the tuition expenditure, but cover it in such a way that the cost gets covered including inflation for next year.


str1der, I originally thought the same as you however Moss is corrected. I decided to pose the same question to the admissions folks at CBS and they specifically told me to use the Student Budget however it is only meant to get your planning early on how you can afford the MBA over 2 years.
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2012, 14:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
290 Experts publish their posts in the topic Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants mappleby 1652 10 Jun 2012, 11:39
Experts publish their posts in the topic Columbia J-term 2013- Calling all applicants mb031182zy 25 04 Oct 2012, 08:59
220 Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! lawgonebusiness 3965 16 May 2010, 06:56
31 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! sterny 1167 28 Apr 2008, 06:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  83    Next  [ 1653 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.