Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.23
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Today, EssaySnark (www.essaysnark.com) has a post up that says how they havent seen enough Columbia apps coming in till now, versus last year where 12 people at Columbia had already applied and had been accepted at the school in ED, who had worked with Essay Snark. (Full Disclosure: Havent read the whole thing as I dont have premium access.)

Until now, there is NO NEWS at all of even 1 ED admit on this forum or elsewhere (or if 1, then not 3-4 etc. By this time last year, multiple people had already been accepted)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Quick question on the application:

In the "Do you know any current students at Columbia Business School?" part, do you guys list students that you reached out to with questions about the program or students you met at information sessions? Or do you put them in the previous "Have you ever spoken with a Columbia Business School Program Representative or attended a Columbia Information Session?"

In other words, is the "people you know" part just for friends/family rather than people you had one conversation with? Do they reach out these students in the review process?

Thanks.
Current Student
Send PM
str1der wrote:
Today, EssaySnark (https://www.essaysnark.com) has a post up that says how they havent seen enough Columbia apps coming in till now, versus last year where 12 people at Columbia had already applied and had been accepted at the school in ED, who had worked with Essay Snark. (Full Disclosure: Havent read the whole thing as I dont have premium access.)

Until now, there is NO NEWS at all of even 1 ED admit on this forum or elsewhere (or if 1, then not 3-4 etc. By this time last year, multiple people had already been accepted)

Thanks for the link str1der, interesting indeed. Maybe the delay in admitting ED applicants vs previous years has to do with the appointment of the new assistant dean of admissions
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
Gumbymc wrote:
str1der wrote:
Today, EssaySnark (https://www.essaysnark.com) has a post up that says how they havent seen enough Columbia apps coming in till now, versus last year where 12 people at Columbia had already applied and had been accepted at the school in ED, who had worked with Essay Snark. (Full Disclosure: Havent read the whole thing as I dont have premium access.)

Thanks for the link str1der, interesting indeed. Maybe the delay in admitting ED applicants vs previous years has to do with the appointment of the new assistant dean of admissions

I think they put all ED applications on hold, have gone back to the drawing board on managing yield, and even discussing a smaller class to maintain selectivity given how that directly affects ranking and Columbia has anyways been slipping in that aspect. What that means then is that there is no real advantage between applying in Aug Vs. Ovt 3rd - the deadline. My sense is that they will start reviewing all ED applications together and the whole meaning of 'rolling admissions' will be lost. Heck, Columbia may even change its process next year, eliminate the rolling admissions process, and make somewhere in Sep as the deadline for its ED round and the Oct one as Round 1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: CBS '15 (A)
Send PM
Trivi888 wrote:

Once your interviewer submits their feedback, you will receive a status update confirming that your interview has been submitted and your application is moving into the next stage of the process.

Yes, I interviewed on 9/19, interviewer called to tell me he submitted his writeup to the CBS system on 9/20, and I received an e-mail stating there was a status update to my application on 9/21; you login to your app and it is highlighted and there's a link that says "View Update >>" where it thanks you for completing your interview as it tells you your interview feedback has been received.

Very interesting article on the pause. I believe someone on these boards mentioned hearing back recently so I suppose it is not a complete freeze. Good luck to everyone and I'll be sure to post here when I hear back.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
str1der wrote:
Gumbymc wrote:
str1der wrote:

I think they put all ED applications on hold, have gone back to the drawing board on managing yield, and even discussing a smaller class to maintain selectivity given how that directly affects ranking and Columbia has anyways been slipping in that aspect. What that means then is that there is no real advantage between applying in Aug Vs. Ovt 3rd - the deadline. My sense is that they will start reviewing all ED applications together and the whole meaning of 'rolling admissions' will be lost. Heck, Columbia may even change its process next year, eliminate the rolling admissions process, and make somewhere in Sep as the deadline for its ED round and the Oct one as Round 1.

These are some serious changes you're talking about. Are you speculating or you have strong evidence to believe this is true?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
shoesncars wrote:
Gumbymc wrote:
str1der wrote:

These are some serious changes you're talking about. Are you speculating or you have strong evidence to believe this is true?

Pure speculation, but given hw things stand, I wont be surprised if they are actually doing this, some parts maybe if not all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
While I don't plan on dwelling on it too long, I sure would like a little feedback on why I was denied. Do you folks have any ideas regarding the best way to figure that out? Should I call or write? Who would I call? Any thoughts are helpful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Bananas wrote:
While I don't plan on dwelling on it too long, I sure would like a little feedback on why I was denied. Do you folks have any ideas regarding the best way to figure that out? Should I call or write? Who would I call? Any thoughts are helpful.

Unfortunately I don't think you will have much luck. You could pay for a ding analysis from an admissions consultant but the school isn't going to tell you much. They make it pretty clear on the website that they don't provide feedback to dinged applicants. There are so many thousands of applicants who are denied each year that it would take up all their time talking to people about why they didn't get in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
Bananas wrote:

Unfortunately I don't think you will have much luck. You could pay for a ding analysis from an admissions consultant but the school isn't going to tell you much. They make it pretty clear on the website that they don't provide feedback to dinged applicants. There are so many thousands of applicants who are denied each year that it would take up all their time talking to people about why they didn't get in.

You probably can't get feedback from the adcoms, but you might be able to reach out to your interviewer and ask him for advice or tips to improve your candidacy moving forward. He obviously doesn't have your essays to look at, but he might be able to comment on your resume, interview, and particularly how strong he felt your "why MBA" answer was (which will be very important moving forward). You won't necessarily get a response from your interviewer but it may be worth a shot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Bananas wrote:

Post up your stats and you could get feedback here.

You could contact your interviewer, but that depends on your interaction with your interviewer. For myself, I had an awesome interview, it was really more conversational than formal. I was eventually waitlisted for CBS , I contacted my interviewer about my status, and he said he would send an email to adcoms to help me out.

In the end, I told him I was dinged and he said I was shocked. He gave my some pointers (e.g. take gmat again).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
prorsum wrote:
Bananas wrote:

Post up your stats and you could get feedback here.

You could contact your interviewer, but that depends on your interaction with your interviewer. For myself, I had an awesome interview, it was really more conversational than formal. I was eventually waitlisted for CBS , I contacted my interviewer about my status, and he said he would send an email to adcoms to help me out.

In the end, I told him I was dinged and he said I was shocked. He gave my some pointers (e.g. take gmat again).

He told you to take the GMAT again when you had a 740??? That is crazy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
mtk232 wrote:

I had a 690 applying to CBS last year. Re-took it this year, before the change.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.1
WE:Accounting (Other)
Send PM
Submitted 9/23/12 for J-Term 2013! Fingers crossed!!

Also it looks like CBS accepted a couple more students this week as they've been added to the Facebook group. From 28 to 36 members.
Current Student
Send PM
Hey guys,
Got a ding today for ED. Completely confused given I was waitlisted when I initially applied this past January and I know my profile has improved significantly since then (not to mention there's been a huge drop in CBS apps!). Good luck to the rest of you guys!! Back to the drawing board..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
All these dings are starting to make me nervous! Good luck on your other apps Gumbymc.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
mtk232 wrote:

Oh man!! I've seen this happen a few times. Easy explanation: laziness.

Cause to figure out what actually went wrong he'd have to sit out and think, so they just throw out the GMAT excuse...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts