Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 13:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 05:39
Could today be the day?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 07:14
Got the call from Columbia yesterday. I'm a J-term applicant. Good luck to everyone that's still waiting!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 14
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V45
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 07:20
Congrats, Mike! Would you mind sharing some details with us (GMAT/GPA/WE)?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 07:25
MBABusinessBuilder wrote:
Congrats, Mike! Would you mind sharing some details with us (GMAT/GPA/WE)?


Of course.
GMAT: 710 (Q46, V42)
GPA: 3.5 at a top US engineering school
WE: 2.5 years a management consultancy firm
I'm an international applicant
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 15
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.55
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 07:33
mikedem wrote:
MBABusinessBuilder wrote:
Congrats, Mike! Would you mind sharing some details with us (GMAT/GPA/WE)?


Of course.
GMAT: 710 (Q46, V42)
GPA: 3.5 at a top US engineering school
WE: 2.5 years a management consultancy firm
I'm an international applicant


Good stuff! What was the date of your application submission?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 07:35
Trivi888 wrote:
mikedem wrote:
MBABusinessBuilder wrote:
Congrats, Mike! Would you mind sharing some details with us (GMAT/GPA/WE)?


Of course.
GMAT: 710 (Q46, V42)
GPA: 3.5 at a top US engineering school
WE: 2.5 years a management consultancy firm
I'm an international applicant


Good stuff! What was the date of your application submission?


I applied on 15/7 and interviewed on 10/9
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 11:10
Just got my interview invite! Submitted my application for ED on 10 Sep.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Applying to enroll in 2013
Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 62
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 11:31
mappleby wrote:
Just got my interview invite! Submitted my application for ED on 10 Sep.

Congrats! Did they just send you an email?

That is a pretty quick turnaround. Anyone else here today? I submitted Sept 14th, but haven't heard anything.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 7
Schools: CBS '15 (A)
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 12:24
First congratulations to those who have got the call, it is quite an accomplishment and an enjoyment I hope to experience one day in the near future.

I was an applicant last year and submitted my app for ED earlier this month so now it is the waiting game I guess. It is great to hear that people from September are already getting the calls, hopefully we can all get some traction as this would be an amazing gift for the holiday season!

Lets keep the communication up and hopefully we can continue straight through into our first year at CBS!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 23:22
mtk232 wrote:
mappleby wrote:
Just got my interview invite! Submitted my application for ED on 10 Sep.

Congrats! Did they just send you an email?

That is a pretty quick turnaround. Anyone else here today? I submitted Sept 14th, but haven't heard anything.


Yep I just had an email in my inbox saying I had received an invitation to interview. Then logged into my application and there is a new link at the bottom of the checklist for putting in your details to get a list of contacts. A few hours later they emailed me the names and emails for 3 potential interviewers.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 64
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 22:01
i uploaded the app a while ago but the check boxes for the transcript are still showing as not received even though i had uploaded tem as part of the app. any idea why this might be?
i did not send them any paper copy since they mention on their website that they dont need one till after one is admitted? would really appreciate any inputs. thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 64
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 22:21
mtk232 wrote:
mappleby wrote:
Just got my interview invite! Submitted my application for ED on 10 Sep.

Congrats! Did they just send you an email?

That is a pretty quick turnaround. Anyone else here today? I submitted Sept 14th, but haven't heard anything.


in teh same boat. submitted on 16th sep and havent heard anything. maybe over next week. fingers crossed
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2012
Posts: 9
Schools: CBS '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 07:21
Hi everyone,
I wanted to apply to CBS in its ED round but seems like my app would not be ready before 03 oct. CBS is my top choice and im totally committed to joining it if admitted, but i have following doubts
1. Given the rolling decision policy of CBS and the fact that so many of you have already applied in ED,is it advisable to apply on the last date of ED deadline or i'll be better off applying early ( say mid oct ) in RD? I ll like to go with whatever maximises my chances
2. I have another query - essay 1b asks why you want to be a part of columbia comm. they ask this question pointing you to cluster system and learning teams. Are they really expectin us to answer how we can contribute to and gain from Cbs community with the mention of preferred curriculum, courses and faculty to go in essay1a? Looking at how the essay questions are drafted i would assume that would be the case ( mention courses that you think can help you at cbs in 1a and community involvement in 1b), but veritasprep's and clearadmit's websites seem to advise to mention everything about cbs ( including your preffered courses etc) in 1b. Your views pls.

Many thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 169
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 60

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 07:28
Structurer wrote:
Hi everyone,
I wanted to apply to CBS in its ED round but seems like my app would not be ready before 03 oct. CBS is my top choice and im totally committed to joining it if admitted, but i have following doubts
1. Given the rolling decision policy of CBS and the fact that so many of you have already applied in ED,is it advisable to apply on the last date of ED deadline or i'll be better off applying early ( say mid oct ) in RD? I ll like to go with whatever maximises my chances
2. I have another query - essay 1b asks why you want to be a part of columbia comm. they ask this question pointing you to cluster system and learning teams. Are they really expectin us to answer how we can contribute to and gain from Cbs community with the mention of preferred curriculum, courses and faculty to go in essay1a? Looking at how the essay questions are drafted i would assume that would be the case ( mention courses that you think can help you at cbs in 1a and community involvement in 1b), but veritasprep's and clearadmit's websites seem to advise to mention everything about cbs ( including your preffered courses etc) in 1b. Your views pls.

Many thanks


1. ED round is definitely one with higher chances BUT don't do it if your app is not ready. Even in Regular round apply as early as you can. (Rolling admissions - apps are reviewed in the order received )
2. Everything you just said goes into 1b. Focus on the community not just the curriculum in this part of the essay. How you will contribute and how it will help you. In total - Why you want to be Columbia community
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 63
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 8

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 09:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
Just noticed that CBS now wants applicants to enter GPA as it appears on their transcript, and not convert it to a 4.0 scale. Weird they would change policies midway through the application process !
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 169
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 60

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 09:53
qtrip wrote:
Just noticed that CBS now wants applicants to enter GPA as it appears on their transcript, and not convert it to a 4.0 scale. Weird they would change policies midway through the application process !



Yes, I saw that today. They are definitely making changes in their admissions process. The drop in number of applications definitely made them to rethink their policies.
Come on CBS- check on that loans for internationals, may be.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2012
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 12:48
Hey guys, I have a question about the application form. Did you guys include internships in the 'Employment' section? It says we should only account for our "most meaningful professional experiences." I find this statement a bit subjective. For some, an internship could count as a meaningful professional experience right? Please let me know as soon as you can! Looking to get my application in by the October 3rd deadline!

Thanks you!!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Posts: 87
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Accounting (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 27

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 13:07
bschoolapps2012 wrote:
Hey guys, I have a question about the application form. Did you guys include internships in the 'Employment' section? It says we should only account for our "most meaningful professional experiences." I find this statement a bit subjective. For some, an internship could count as a meaningful professional experience right? Please let me know as soon as you can! Looking to get my application in by the October 3rd deadline!

Thanks you!!


I included my internship in the employment section. I kinda wish they had a separate internship section on the application, but since they don't, I think you should just include it in the employment section. Good luck!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2012
Posts: 11
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 0

Interview Debrief from a J-term applicant [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 18:47
2
This post received
KUDOS
Just had my interview today, so I thought I'd share my experience with everyone.

Quick stats:
28/Male/American
GMAT 710, Q47, V41
UGPA 3.1 from top public university
Entrepreneur/Business Owner

Interview Location: Starbucks in Orange County, CA

My interview was with a CBS alumni, class of 2005. He had a background in Finance and worked and his first job out of CBS was at Citigroup. He then moved over to a hedgefund for a few years, and is currently working for one of the worlds largest bond companies. He was also an international alumni orginally from South America, so the international element definitely played into the interview.

Demeanor: Very laid-back and soft spoken, he wanted me to feel comfortable and simply have a conversation about Columbia with him. I walked him through my resume and shared my story of starting a company after college with him, and my various accomplishments. He definitely understood everything I was saying, but was not trying to "grill" me i.e. poke holes in my story, or stump me with random questions. He seemed very satisfied with my reasons for getting an MBA, and even told me that my reasoning was almost exactly the same as his when he applied.

The only mandatory question he said he had to ask me was "Tell me about a time in which you faced adversity" He told me this was the only question he was required to ask. He also told me that the school does not communicate with him about the interview, they just look at the interview sheet that he fills out.

All in all, it was much easier than I had prepared for it to be. My advice to those yet to interview, is go through the columbia interview boards, write down all the different questions that have been asked to past applicants, and prepare a response for each one. that's about 25 possible questions. If you do this, you will be ready for whatever comes your way, and even if they don't ask the questions you prepared for, you can work that information into the interview anyway.

I'm very happy with the interview, and even if things don't work out, I know for a fact that my interview won't be the reason I didn't get into Columbia.

Hope to get the call soon!!!!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2012
Posts: 11
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 18:58
icaniwill wrote:
Structurer wrote:
Hi everyone,
I wanted to apply to CBS in its ED round but seems like my app would not be ready before 03 oct. CBS is my top choice and im totally committed to joining it if admitted, but i have following doubts
1. Given the rolling decision policy of CBS and the fact that so many of you have already applied in ED,is it advisable to apply on the last date of ED deadline or i'll be better off applying early ( say mid oct ) in RD? I ll like to go with whatever maximises my chances
2. I have another query - essay 1b asks why you want to be a part of columbia comm. they ask this question pointing you to cluster system and learning teams. Are they really expectin us to answer how we can contribute to and gain from Cbs community with the mention of preferred curriculum, courses and faculty to go in essay1a? Looking at how the essay questions are drafted i would assume that would be the case ( mention courses that you think can help you at cbs in 1a and community involvement in 1b), but veritasprep's and clearadmit's websites seem to advise to mention everything about cbs ( including your preffered courses etc) in 1b. Your views pls.

Many thanks


1. ED round is definitely one with higher chances BUT don't do it if your app is not ready. Even in Regular round apply as early as you can. (Rolling admissions - apps are reviewed in the order received )
2. Everything you just said goes into 1b. Focus on the community not just the curriculum in this part of the essay. How you will contribute and how it will help you. In total - Why you want to be Columbia community




I applied on 8/18 and just finished with my interview today. I used Essay 1A to mention why Columbia's Curriculum is the right fit for me, i.e. the skills I want to develop to help my career, and the classes and programs at Columbia that emphasize those skills. I used Essay 1B to explain why I want to be part of Coumbia's community i.e. what attracts me to this school's community, what clubs and organizations I want to be part of, Columbia's location in NYC, and what my commitment to columbia's community will be after I graduate.

IN my opinion, you should use
Essay 1A-Curriculum Courses- 100% MBA related to your specific goals
Essay 1b- Community, clubs, organizations- not necessarily MBA related,
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2012, 18:58
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
290 Experts publish their posts in the topic Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants mappleby 1652 10 Jun 2012, 11:39
Experts publish their posts in the topic Columbia J-term 2013- Calling all applicants mb031182zy 25 04 Oct 2012, 08:59
220 Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! lawgonebusiness 3965 16 May 2010, 06:56
31 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! sterny 1167 28 Apr 2008, 06:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  83    Next  [ 1653 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.