Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 11:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
This is the official answer that I received:

Thank you for your email. Your application has been submitted and is complete. Please login to your applicant status page to see any updates.

The School works to release decisions in a timely manner and decisions can be rendered at any time. Our goal is to get applicants a decision within 12 weeks from the date that your application went “under review by the Admissions Committee”. Please note that if you were invited to interview, an additional 2 weeks will be added to the review process.

The problem is that my application is complete for more than a month now...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [1] , given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 16:33
This post received
KUDOS
KAS1 wrote:
freetz wrote:
The problem is that my application is complete for more than a month now...

I would be freaking out if I got a response like that. What does it mean? Are you in? Did you get invited to interview?! YICKS!! Can't believe the application has been complete for more than a month!!!!!!

Complete simply means that the complete application has been submitted. It should go to "Application Under Review" or some such similar statement. The next step will either be interview invite, waitlist letter or ding letter. You won't be accepted to CBS without an interview so you can't be "in" without that step. It is very strange to sit at Complete for a month but only the Ad Com can shed light on why that would be happening.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
freetz wrote:
Any news? status updates?

I'm still marked as submitted...

I actually just called admissions. I told them I had submitted 4+ weeks ago and wanted to make sure that I have all materials submitted correctly as my status hasn't changed. She asked for my name, looked me up, and told me that my application was in fact under review (and not just "submitted" as it says on the website).

She mentioned that they are still working through some bugs so she couldn't tell me when exactly I went under review. Also, she told me the website isn't necessarily accurate yet.

Hang in there folks!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '15
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 1500 Q790 V710
GPA: 2.86
WE: Education (Education)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 23:20
This post received
KUDOS
You will receive an unofficial GMAT score immediately after taking your test, and if I'm not mistaken, you can use that unofficial transcript to submit. If and when you are admitted, you will be required to send the official scores, but of course by then you will already have received them.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
I attended the On-Campus information session being hosted by the admissions committee on Monday of this week. They didn't have anything earth-shattering to say but it was good to visit the campus. I've only been to NYC once before and that was just to the Times Square area so I wanted to actually see Columbia. Summer classes are out so I couldn't sit in on a class unfortunately but I did get the chance to talk to a few students. The woman from the Admissions Council who ran the session stated that they had started reviewing applications 2 weeks ago for next year. That seems to jive with what people are being told on the phone even if the website doesn't appear to be updating properly. She also said that if you are applying Regular Decision you can submit at any time however you will not go under review until the first week of December most likely. It just takes that long to get through all the ED applications.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 63

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 17:09
This post received
KUDOS
mappleby wrote:
Anybody know if the Financing Your MBA section is meant to cover the full Student Budget or just the tuition to attend Columbia?

Your whole student budget. Nobody really knows how they use this information. I more or less said "lever up!" I think possibly its to help people ask critical financing questions of themselves before applying versus after. Someone probably showed the adcoms some study that said it increases yield by reducing the number of applicants who don't understand the financing costs until after being admitted (and then subsequently drop), causing them to add this section.

Obviously they don't expect you to get a commitment letter from your local bank before applying, so the exercise really just makes sure you have some sort of plan in place.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 326 Q170 V156
GPA: 3.51
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, guys. Sent an E-mail to the admissions office today about the "Upload Material" section, and get the reply only after hours, very surprising. FYI, I submitted my application on July 28th, they told me today it is complete and under review right now. They also said that their goal is to finish every case within 12 weeks. So I figure that the admission is still rolling, just it is not shown on their website, those applications that were submitted prior than me probably are under review also. So, fingers crossed and wish us all good luck :-)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 8

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 03:47
This post received
KUDOS
Orientation week has been freaking EPIC guys... the wait sucks but it's worth it!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '15
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 1500 Q790 V710
GPA: 2.86
WE: Education (Education)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
Got the interview invite this morning. J-term applicant, submitted 7/25. It looks like they're working through the J-termers first.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
Application for Early Decision submitted today!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 13:22
This post received
KUDOS
KAS1 wrote:
@Bananas -- Did you interview already? If so, do you mind sharing some tips/comments/concerns?

I interviewed last Friday (9/7) and am eagerly awaiting a decision. My best advice for those interviewing would be to thoroughly read the contributions on this site: http://www.clearadmit.com/wiki/index.ph ... aInterview

Good luck to everyone! Seems like the process is fully underway.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS
Bigblue1010 wrote:
When you all upload your essays, do you include the question up top as a header? Thank you for your help.

I didn't bother - assumed that adcoms read enough of these that they know exactly what each essay is about. As long as you label "Essay 1" and "Essay 2" and your name, I think it'll be fine.

KAS1 wrote:
For the description in the employment section - are you guys just copying the section from the resume and pasting it there??

You can copy/paste, but there is also no word limit for the description section, I think, so you can use it to flesh out your job a little more, or spend some time describing what you learned from work. The resume tends to be a little drier, more along the lines of "these were my achievements/I did this awesome thing that increased productivity 1000+%." You can give a little more explanation and add some "color" in the description section, add intangibles or takeaways, or overall just give adcoms a better sense of how specific jobs led you closer to your goals. I used it as sort of a bridge between my resume and my essays.

mba2014hopeful wrote:
For the Financing the MBA section, are we supposed to estimate the $90k figure for one year or should this cover 2 years worth of costs? (Eek...this is expensive... :( )

I just went with one year; I don't think this section matters much other than to let adcoms know that you've *thought* about the cost of the MBA so hopefully you won't get sticker shock and back out last minute.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 05:32
This post received
KUDOS
Today, EssaySnark (www.essaysnark.com) has a post up that says how they havent seen enough Columbia apps coming in till now, versus last year where 12 people at Columbia had already applied and had been accepted at the school in ED, who had worked with Essay Snark. (Full Disclosure: Havent read the whole thing as I dont have premium access.)

Until now, there is NO NEWS at all of even 1 ED admit on this forum or elsewhere (or if 1, then not 3-4 etc. By this time last year, multiple people had already been accepted)

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 8

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
Just noticed that CBS now wants applicants to enter GPA as it appears on their transcript, and not convert it to a 4.0 scale. Weird they would change policies midway through the application process !
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
icaniwill wrote:
bschoolapps2012 wrote:
Hey guys,

I have one final question and would love to get your views on this. Did any of you utilize your optional essay to tell a story that the other essays didn't give you a chance to talk about? I'm leaning towards doing this because I have a really interesting story that showcases different important skills / attributes, but the wording of the optional essay topic seems to suggest that it's only meant to be used for extenuating circumstances. Please let me know! Thank you!!!

Big mistake ...if you do this.

I agree. The optional essay (which I used to address my academic record) is meant to address lingering questions that come up for the adcom, but have not been adequately answered in the application. However, you can use part of the essay to highlight things about you the adcom would want to know but doesn't already have the info in the app.

For example, I basically said "Given my circumstances, a b and c, my acadamic record does not reflect my future potential or my intellectual capabilities. Given these facts, It is my hope that while evaluating my candidicacy the adcom pay greater attention to x, y and z. (This is where I fit in some new good stuff about me i.e. business accomplishments, overcoming personal challenges, community service) that I wasn't able to fit in anywhere else." I basically used the optional essay to put my academic record in context and explain how I hope to be evaluated by the adcom.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Ross '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
BlueRobin wrote:
In the education page of the application, we have to enter a GPA. I completed my Undergraduation in India, and my transcript mentions total marks I secured.

The GPA box only accepts x.x format.

Any advice?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.63

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 17:41
This post received
KUDOS
bschoolapps2012 wrote:
Hey guys,

I have one final question and would love to get your views on this. Did any of you utilize your optional essay to tell a story that the other essays didn't give you a chance to talk about? I'm leaning towards doing this because I have a really interesting story that showcases different important skills / attributes, but the wording of the optional essay topic seems to suggest that it's only meant to be used for extenuating circumstances. Please let me know! Thank you!!!

Yes. You can. I emailed the admission office about using the optional essay to discuss an experience that had to do with my goals:

"I have a question about the optional essay of the MBA application. Can I use this essay to describe an experience that has played an important role in shaping my goals? I feel that this information is relevant to my candidacy."

Here is what they said:

"Thank you for your email. The optional fourth essay is available for you to discuss any issues that do not fall within the purview of the required essays. Using this to describe an experience that has played an important role in shaping your goals would be appropriate. This essay should be a maximum of 500 words.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Rachael Lubetkin"

BTW, if you have questions about a school's application, contact the admission office.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 5

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call some thirty minutes ago.

Applied ED 08/08, interview 09/25, admitted 10/09

Profile: 730 GMAT; Summa Cum Laude equiv GPA (international, dif grading), 3.5 years WE at top-tier management consulting firm, and doing M&A/Corporate strategy at a leading retailer.

Good luck to everyone and hope to get to know you next year!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: CBS '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 23:31
This post received
KUDOS
mappleby wrote:
Can you share your profile? Invited to interview 1 day after submitting and accepted 1 week after interview went complete.

Nope, I got invite exactly 3 weeks after the interview and a week after the report was delivered.
As for background.
Born in the middle of nowhere, South Ural, unknown tech. university bachelor and master with ~4 GPA, pure IT consulting in Moscow for a year (not a star company), some entrepreneur experience in IT consulting, IT PM then Deputy CIO in a brokerage and asset management company (again not a star but known locally), between PwC offer and promotion to business PM chose later (some can think stupid but it suited better to my career aspirations), quite strong volunteering experience for many years (not so strong though as serving at Peace Corps). So, not a rock star at all. However, I know exactly what I want to do (asset management or IB), more importantly WHY I want doing this, what I already did to achieve my goals and what Columbia can offer me. I think if you are honest with yourself and can show this in your application, this is more important than your background or previous career experience. However, I do believe that numbers such as GMAT score and GPA play more important role for Columbia than for other schools. Applying in ED I can't take offers from other schools to which I applied. LBS and Booth are out anyway. It's difficult to say no to HBS but I feel that this is not my school especially after reading "Ahead of the curve". Wharton is a contender anyway, so here I should weigh more strong academic against being in NY. Honestly, I don't like Phil as a city and NY itself can open even more doors for those who is going to stay in NY. Surprisingly but people in Russia know only Harvard and Oxford, so both Wharton and Columbia are equal from this point of view. But who cares about their opinion - "The minority is always right" (HENRIK IBSEN). I hope it was my small contribution to this online community!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

J-Term 2014- I'm In!!!! [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 17:13
This post received
KUDOS
So I got the call this morning. Needless to say I'm thrilled! Columbia was my first and only choice for business school, and I didn't even apply anywhere else, so I took a big risk.

Apparerently, Columbia tried to call me last week, and I missed it (I found that hard to beleive because I've pretty much had my phone with me everywhere I go but anyway...). So I actually got an email fom the admissions office telling me to call as soon as possible. So I called them back right away not knowing what to expect, and they told me their happy to offer me a spot in next years class!!!

TIMELINE

Submitted 8/18
Invited to Interview 9/19
Interviewed on 10/1
Status update that Interview sheet was received 10/4

ADMITTED to J-TERM on 10/15

Male, Inidian w/ US nationality, 28 years old
GMAT: 710 Q47 V41
UGPA: 3.125 social science major from top public school
5+ years experience as an entrepreneur/business owner- started my own company (online education) when I was still in college and grew the organization over the past 7 years into a national company with 10+ million in annual revenues.

Best of luck to those still applying!!! If there are any questions I can answer let me know, I'd be happy to help. This board has been an incredible source of information, inspiration and support and I thank you all for your contributions!!!!
J-Term 2014- I'm In!!!!   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2012, 17:13