Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 12:40
joe82 wrote:
Soooo...I just want to throw this out there to see if anyone else has thought of this or if I am just crazy. I applied ED to Columbia on 10/3 with the hopes that an ED application would give me a small boost in chance of admission, but late enough that I could stretch out the admissions process to coincide with RD1 decisions from HBS, Wharton, & Kellogg. I got the interview invite from CBS 10/19 but I still haven't communicated with the interviewers because I don't want to speed it up too much and have to make a $6K deposit decision before knowing from the other schools. Can this work? We'll find out.

The short answer is no, this cannot work. ED is binding, no matter where else you are accepted. That's the whole point. Best case scenario you get interview invites everywhere. You will still have to interview with Columbia before you hear back from HBS. So even if you get accepted to HBS before Columbia you will still owe Columbia $6,000. The only way this could work is if you got accepted to HBS or Wharton before interviewing with Columbia and intentionally bombing the Columbia interview. But the timing won't work that way. You can always game the system using ED to boost your odds. People do it every year. The consequence for doing so is burning any bridges with the Columbia network and you forfeit $6,000. There is no way out of the deposit, that is how they make ED binding.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 13:02
I recently got invited to interview, and am wondering how closely applicants hew to the instruction to first contact the Ambassador at the top of the list (they must mean business, as there's an underline involved). The third Ambassador they offered is an alum of my college, and I'd like to reach out to her first instead. Is this really discouraged (not seeking out fellow alumni, but not reaching out to the Ambassadors in order of appearance)?
Current Student

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 13:06
I emailed the 3rd person on the list. I found him on linkedin and saw he works in the field I want to switch careers into. I would contact whoever you think will give you the best interview chances. I'm really not sure why the email puts them in a particular order but I promise it isn't a trap.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.54

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 13:07
mappleby wrote:
joe82 wrote:
Soooo...I just want to throw this out there to see if anyone else has thought of this or if I am just crazy. I applied ED to Columbia on 10/3 with the hopes that an ED application would give me a small boost in chance of admission, but late enough that I could stretch out the admissions process to coincide with RD1 decisions from HBS, Wharton, & Kellogg. I got the interview invite from CBS 10/19 but I still haven't communicated with the interviewers because I don't want to speed it up too much and have to make a $6K deposit decision before knowing from the other schools. Can this work? We'll find out.

The short answer is no, this cannot work. ED is binding, no matter where else you are accepted. That's the whole point. Best case scenario you get interview invites everywhere. You will still have to interview with Columbia before you hear back from HBS. So even if you get accepted to HBS before Columbia you will still owe Columbia $6,000. The only way this could work is if you got accepted to HBS or Wharton before interviewing with Columbia and intentionally bombing the Columbia interview. But the timing won't work that way. You can always game the system using ED to boost your odds. People do it every year. The consequence for doing so is burning any bridges with the Columbia network and you forfeit $6,000. There is no way out of the deposit, that is how they make ED binding.

Thanks for the response. I guess my thinking is that the $6K is not actually due to CBS for 2 weeks after you've received the admissions invite. So, conceivably, you could interview and gain admission to CBS on 12/10 then hear back from Kellogg on their notification date of 12/17 and choose to enroll at Kellogg. But that's only if you stretch the admission to CBS back to the notification dates of other schools. Granted, you would not be living up to the ED agreement of enrolling there and withdrawing all other applications, but it's not truly a "binding" agreement and you only lose the $6K if you pay and then decide to enroll somewhere else.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 08:20
any idea whats teh selection rate for teh ED applicants who have been invited to interview?
Current Student

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 09:13
MBAPangs wrote:
any idea whats teh selection rate for teh ED applicants who have been invited to interview?

That's tough to answer with our small sample here. Especially because people are less likely to post on here when they get dinged vs an admit. That being said, it looks like so far for ED those who were invited to interview the yield has been 70% or maybe even a little better. Most of the dings people have reported were Denied Without Interview. I only recall 2 or 3 who interviewed and were dinged subsequent to that.

Historically the overall yield is around 50% if you get an interview invite. ED tends to have a higher admit rate than RD but not significantly. I would expect that if you were able to look across all ED applicants the reality is closer to 60% of ED interviews convert to admits. The rates are usually a little higher on GMATClub than the overall applicant pool just because those of us taking the time to be on this site tend to be overly motivated(or maybe we're just OCD).
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 09:32
mappleby wrote:
MBAPangs wrote:

That's tough to answer with our small sample here. Especially because people are less likely to post on here when they get dinged vs an admit. That being said, it looks like so far for ED those who were invited to interview the yield has been 70% or maybe even a little better. Most of the dings people have reported were Denied Without Interview. I only recall 2 or 3 who interviewed and were dinged subsequent to that.

Historically the overall yield is around 50% if you get an interview invite. ED tends to have a higher admit rate than RD but not significantly. I would expect that if you were able to look across all ED applicants the reality is closer to 60% of ED interviews convert to admits. The rates are usually a little higher on GMATClub than the overall applicant pool just because those of us taking the time to be on this site tend to be overly motivated(or maybe we're just OCD).

thanks mappleby.. your reply gives me the hope that it might work out after all.. need to continue on this journey

you seem to have hit the nail on the head with the ocd bit (used to check my mail every hour prior to getting the invite)

anyway, best of luck to all out there for the interviews!
Current Student

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 17:02
rrw708 wrote:
Got the call last night!

Applied ED on 9/6, interviewed on 10/11, feedback submitted 10/15, accepted 10/26

27 years old, male, white
GMAT 740 Q50 V39
GPA 3.10
WE 5 years at an online brokerage in the back office.

Congrats man!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.95
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 17:40
rrw708 wrote:
Got the call last night!

Applied ED on 9/6, interviewed on 10/11, feedback submitted 10/15, accepted 10/26

27 years old, male, white
GMAT 740 Q50 V39
GPA 3.10
WE 5 years at an online brokerage in the back office.

Big Cong! it's awesome! Lend me some luck!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 06:38
If you've been admitted and you are a LinkedIn user please join the Columbia Business School class of 2015 networking page! I look forward to meeting you all next year -RDR
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: CBS '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 07:11
Frankenstorm is not helping my admissions anxieties! My timeline leads me to believe that a decision is imminent (submitted 9/17, interview feedback submitted 10/13). I'm severely nervous that I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm going to hope that the delay is a good sign rather than a bad one. I know that some of you have interviewed after me but have been accepted already, so I'm hoping that the adcom is just reviewing their pool before ultimately admitting me! I imagine that the storm is going to set back the whole process by at least a few days...
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 07:56
Hi everyone who was admitted, Congratulations. And those who didn't get in I commiserate (I am a re-applicant not to Columbia but other schools) but hang in there. Gotta believe in yourself.

Also, I would like to urge everyone, those who got in and those who didn't to please update your status on your profile so that the stats on the first page reflect correct numbers. This really helps those who are applying this year as well those who plan to apply next year. It's a great reference system while doing your applications. You get a good idea of what kind of Gmat Clubbers get admitted every year.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.91

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 10:57
Just an FYI. Columbia cancelled classes tomorrow (because of hurricane Sandy) so I doubt there will be any movement.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 18:15
I was interviewed on 23rd of Oct, and the interviewer still did not submit his feedbacks.
I am getting nervous... Anyone can help?
Should i contact the adcom? Or should i contact the interviewer?
I don want to be rude to the interviewer, but i need the result asap... (nyu deadline is coming...)
Current Student

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 18:42
General rule of thumb seems to be give them a week. If he hasn't submitted on Halloween I would shoot him an email with a polite reminder. Then give it another week before contacting the admissions office.
Current Student
Schools: CBS '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 22:27
suting wrote:
I was interviewed on 23rd of Oct, and the interviewer still did not submit his feedbacks.
I don want to be rude to the interviewer, but i need the result asap... (nyu deadline is coming...)

If I had an offer from NYU I would contact Columbia adcom, nothing to lose. If I had nothing from NYU I wouldn't contact anybody for a week or two, NYU's admission fee is not the thing I would try to save. I share you desire to learn about the final result but I would continue writing my apps for other schools, the thing I actually was doing after interview in Columbia. I left 2-3 drafts for NYU when I got the offer from Columbia. If you still have nothing, you still have nothing - Captain Obvious.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q V0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 07:15
Those who have already been interviewed - Would you be able to share the questions that were asked by your interviewers? Any unexpected or unusual questions?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 09:06
suting wrote:

I'm in the same boat (my interviewer went as far as saying she'd recommend me). If anyone has an elegant way of requesting the interviewer to submit, that would be super helpful.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 10:20
randomapplicant wrote:
suting wrote:

I'm in the same boat (my interviewer went as far as saying she'd recommend me). If anyone has an elegant way of requesting the interviewer to submit, that would be super helpful.

Ditto, Ditto. I actually interviewed October 16th....Needless to say I'm a little concerned/frustrated that the feedback hasn't been submitted yet.

I called the admissions office after a week (last tuesday) and they said that they would reach out to the person that interviewed me....but still no update.

I'm going to send the the person an email today again confirming my interest in the school and stating anything that I can do to expedite the process of submitting the form would be helpful, blah, blah blah. If I don't get an update by the end of the week I'm going to call my interviewer and see what the deal is.

I don't think this is ridiculous as long as you don't go overboard. All of these alumni went through the process so they should sympathize with your situation.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 10:48
randomapplicant wrote:
suting wrote:

Not sure if you guys are did off-campus interviews or what, but don't forget that Hurricane Sandy is hitting the East Coast *right now*. And, even if your interviewer is not based on the East Coast, the odds are probably pretty good that they're more worried about friends/family that ARE out there than they are about submitting your feedback. In other words, just give it a few days. :lol:
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2012, 10:48