Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 17:49
Lallalala wrote:
Those who have already been interviewed - Would you be able to share the questions that were asked by your interviewers? Any unexpected or unusual questions?

Lallalala here is what I posted a few pages back. Still applicable I think.

mappleby wrote:
david88 wrote:
Can folks who have interviewed already share your interview experiences/questions. This is the first b-school interview I will be doing so I am a little anxious.

My advice would be to make sure you know yourself, know your story and what you want. The obvious question is, walk me through your resume. Have a ~2 min spiel ready to go about the highlights of your resume that describes key points about your experiences and how you got to where you are today. Then make sure you know the school. Have a clear idea of why you want to go to Columbia, specific classes, clubs, opportunities. You should have something more to say than just, it's in NYC and I can be near the finance centers for networking. That's fairly obvious and doesn't necessarily show that you have done any research into the school itself.

Have a good idea of what you want to do after school. This should tie clearly into the Why an MBA and how Columbia is going to help you in your career path. If you are a career switcher (like I am) expect a number of questions on your motivation to switch careers. Especially if you interview with somebody in the field you intend to pursue. They will want to know that you have really thought this out and aren't just throwing darts at a dartboard.

Ultimately it is about fit. You will be talking to an alumnus of the school. They are going to be evaluating if they would want you as a peer and fellow alumnus. The network and brand name is huge, so fit is important. It's easier said than done but just try to relax. Try and turn it more into a conversation than just an interview. If they feel a personal connection to you or your story they will probably be more likely to give favorable feedback to the school.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 21:46
aimforthestars89 wrote:
Hey guys,

Got the admit call!!

My profile -

IT consultant, 23 y.o, female, Intl student, GMAT 700.

It took 3 weeks to get the interview invite, but got the call a week after my interviewer submitted his feedback.

I wish you guys all the best!

:)

Congratulations! Can you please share your complete profile.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 21:59
Did u get the call today?

aimforthestars89 wrote:
Hey guys,

Got the admit call!!

My profile -

It took 3 weeks to get the interview invite, but got the call a week after my interviewer submitted his feedback.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 22:11
kidchaos wrote:
aimforthestars89 wrote:
Hey guys,

Got the admit call!!

My profile -

Congratulations! Can you please share your complete profile.

Sure thing!

Timeline:

Applied ED - 11th September
Interview Invite (Approx) - 3rd/4th October
Interviewed - 18th October
Feedback submitted - 18th October
Admit Call - 26th October

Profile -
Female, Intl Applicant from Australia, 23 yo, 5 years with Big 4 (started with them straight out of high school), IT Consulting.
GPA - 3.74/4, GMAT 700.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 22:13
suting wrote:
Did u get the call today?

aimforthestars89 wrote:
Hey guys,

Got the admit call!!

My profile -

Got the call last Friday - I think they've closed down the uni for a couple of days until the storm passes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 22:15
It doesn't look like there will be any movement this week.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 02:37
Expert's post
yonderworld wrote:

Agreed. NYC is a mess right now -- if you don't know what happened with Hurricane Sandy, please check any US news source.

In light of that, please do not contact admissions this week; I doubt anyone there would be available to answer your call. The same goes for contacting interviewers who have not yet submitted your interview feedback; these are alums who volunteered to conduct interviews -- they know what they're supposed to do and they will get to it when they can.

Those of you awaiting invites or decisions, sorry, you seem to be out of luck this week.

Stay safe to those of you still in Sandy's path and good luck with the cleanup, NYC.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 05:56
Chupacabra wrote:
randomapplicant wrote:
suting wrote:
I was interviewed on 23rd of Oct, and the interviewer still did not submit his feedbacks.
I am getting nervous... Anyone can help?
Should i contact the adcom? Or should i contact the interviewer?
I don want to be rude to the interviewer, but i need the result asap... (nyu deadline is coming...)

I'm in the same boat (my interviewer went as far as saying she'd recommend me). If anyone has an elegant way of requesting the interviewer to submit, that would be super helpful.

Ditto, Ditto. I actually interviewed October 16th....Needless to say I'm a little concerned/frustrated that the feedback hasn't been submitted yet.

I called the admissions office after a week (last tuesday) and they said that they would reach out to the person that interviewed me....but still no update.

I'm going to send the the person an email today again confirming my interest in the school and stating anything that I can do to expedite the process of submitting the form would be helpful, blah, blah blah. If I don't get an update by the end of the week I'm going to call my interviewer and see what the deal is.

I don't think this is ridiculous as long as you don't go overboard. All of these alumni went through the process so they should sympathize with your situation.

If you're thinking about reaching out to your interviewer it might be a good idea. I got a response from mine last night and they said they submitted feedback two weeks ago and have no idea why it didn't go through...all the stress for nothing!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 08:29
Chupacabra wrote:

If you're thinking about reaching out to your interviewer it might be a good idea. I got a response from mine last night and they said they submitted feedback two weeks ago and have no idea why it didn't go through...all the stress for nothing!

Was that the response from your interviewer? Is the feedback now submitted?
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '15 (A)
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 13:56
aerien wrote:
yonderworld wrote:

Agreed. NYC is a mess right now -- if you don't know what happened with Hurricane Sandy, please check any US news source.

In light of that, please do not contact admissions this week; I doubt anyone there would be available to answer your call. The same goes for contacting interviewers who have not yet submitted your interview feedback; these are alums who volunteered to conduct interviews -- they know what they're supposed to do and they will get to it when they can.

Those of you awaiting invites or decisions, sorry, you seem to be out of luck this week.

Stay safe to those of you still in Sandy's path and good luck with the cleanup, NYC.

Agreed. The whole lower manhattan Is out of power. Although Columbia is up town, many staff will experience difficulty commuting if they don't have any problems at home.

For myself, no power or water at my apt in the financial district and forced to relocate. No info as when the power will be back.

I'd advise hold off your inquiries to the interviewers/ ad com for a couple of days as this is a time people's lives and properties are at risk. Of course a genuine take care note or support MSG will be appreciated.

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Interview [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 16:04
Sounds like your interview went well. Usually when the interviewer asks questions like this, they like your candidacy and are just looking to confirm their impression. These are also basic interview questions that every person interviewing for business school should prepare for.

Good luck next year when you are an MBA student at Columbia.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Kellogg '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.89
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 18:34
Interview sheet was just uploaded. Hope to hear a good news soon. Any timeline like me?
Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 23:56
ayiayio wrote:
Interview sheet was just uploaded. Hope to hear a good news soon. Any timeline like me?

Here! Mine was uploaded on Monday. But the hurricane does not seem to be helping us. Hope to hear gud news SOON!

Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.13

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 00:38
Had my interview yesterday in Tel-Aviv.

interview conducted by an alumni at his workplace, very friendly and informal.

main questions:
1. Tell me about yourself (with some questions about things he found interesting).
2. Why MBA?
3. Why CBS?
4. Did you apply to other schools?
5. Tell me about a big decision or dilemma you faced?
6. What is your backup plan if you don't get in?
7. do you have any questions for me?

Total interview time was about 30 minutes.

Profile: 31yrs, male, family business in manufacturing. 740GMAT, 3.13 GPA.

Best of luck to everyone! :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 08:55
Safe to assume no movement this week in light of the awful hurricane?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.95
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 12:23
patou86 wrote:
Admitted!!!!!!!

Got the call today about 2 hours ago

My timeline

Applied ED - 21st September
Interview Invite - 9th October
Interviewed - 15th October
Feedback submitted - 16th October
Admitted - 31st October - Happy Halloween!
Missed a call from an unknown number last Friday

GMAT 690
GPA 3.5
International (Dual Nationality)
Male
3Y WE in Investment Banking at bulge bracket firm with international experience

Congratulations! Seems in spite of Sandy, CBS is still trying to give notice two weeks within the feedback.
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 12:31
patou86 wrote:
Admitted!!!!!!!

Got the call today about 2 hours ago

My timeline

Applied ED - 21st September
Interview Invite - 9th October
Interviewed - 15th October
Feedback submitted - 16th October
Admitted - 31st October - Happy Halloween!
Missed a call from an unknown number last Friday

GMAT 690
GPA 3.5
International (Dual Nationality)
Male
3Y WE in Investment Banking at bulge bracket firm with international experience

Congrats!! Where are you from?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 12:41
ayiayio wrote:

How do you know if the interviewer has submitted the feedback?
Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 15:03
hopefulcanadian wrote:
ayiayio wrote:

How do you know if the interviewer has submitted the feedback?

There will be a status update email sent to you automatically.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 05:18
Invited!! Submitted ED 9/17. Interview invite 10/31. Worth the wait, goodluck to all.
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2012, 05:18