Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 5

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 11:01
Just heard that I was dinged. Feedback was submitted Nov 1
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.95
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 12:51
autumnbubble1 wrote:
Just got the status update email, ding after interview. Goodbye and good luck to you all :)

oh no.... I'm sorry... Cheer up! Stanford is waiting for you!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 12:56
lonesoui wrote:
sdd996 wrote:
lonesoui wrote:
Count me in for ED. It's NYC! The morals are looser, and the liquor is cheaper!

You must know a different NYC than I do haha. GL with your app.

It's a quote from an F Scott Fitzgerald's poem. They used it in the new Great Gatsby trailer

Does anyone know the situation with the ED $6k deposit? Like do we get it back once we pay tuition, does it get applied to tuition, or neither?

it will apply to the total tuition
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 13:16
Just got a ding email myself. Interview feedback submitted 11/4. Pretty crushed right now, CBS was far and away my first choice...so now I have to decide whether I really want to apply to other places. Just not sure there are many out there that'd I'd really be interested where I actually have a legit shot.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.91

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 14:36
CBS just fell from 8 to 14 in the BW rankings. So for all the dings, there is some good news: there are 13 "better" schools waiting for you.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 06:12
BW's comment on CBS' drop in the rankings: "Columbia’s drop was mostly due to student satisfaction. In 2010, they were 10th in the student rank, this year they fell to 20th. A lot of the student complaints were about the core curriculum, which is going to be changed starting next year. Columbia did move up one spot in the employer rank, though." http://staging.mzinga.com/n/pfx/forum.a ... ats&ptpw=y
Anyone have info on this 'core curriculum change' mentioned?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 06:19
Business Week rankings are pretty crappy, the methodology is shady at best. Do you honestly believe if anybody had the choice between Columbia and Carnegie Mellon, Michigan or Cornell they wouldn't choose Columbia? Unless you were looking for a specific geographic location or market niche for your MBA nobody is truly going to consider Fuqua, Ross, Darden, Johnson, Sloan, Tepper and Haas all better programs than Columbia.
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 17:39
RatRace wrote:
In!

Applied for ED: 9/25
Interview invite: 10/12
Interview: 10/30
Feedback submitted: 11/7
Accepted: 11/15

Male, US, 27. GPA 3.5, GMAT 710, 2.5 years tech, 2 years finance.

Good luck everyone.

Congrats!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: CBS '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 05:25
mappleby wrote:
Has anybody's deposit check been cashed yet?

Mine has been deposited.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: CBS '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 05:29
mappleby wrote:
Business Week rankings are pretty crappy, the methodology is shady at best. Do you honestly believe if anybody had the choice between Columbia and Carnegie Mellon, Michigan or Cornell they wouldn't choose Columbia? Unless you were looking for a specific geographic location or market niche for your MBA nobody is truly going to consider Fuqua, Ross, Darden, Johnson, Sloan, Tepper and Haas all better programs than Columbia.

Totally agree with mappleby here.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: Johnson '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 07:30
Hello people. Do we know when the Regular Decision applications are reviewed? And what the Early Decision/Regular Decision proportion in a given class is?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 07:38
Expert's post
koteho wrote:
Hello people. Do we know when the Regular Decision applications are reviewed?

Per the admissions website, RD applications will start to be reviewed December 1. Hang tight for a little longer!!

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 08:28
koteho wrote:
Hello people. Do we know when the Regular Decision applications are reviewed? And what the Early Decision/Regular Decision proportion in a given class is?

The proportion question is an interesting one. From my understanding the acceptance rate is higher during ED plus the yield is much higher since very few people will back out of the ED commitment. I have no actual numbers to back up this conjecture but I would guess they try to fill around 40% of the class with Early Decision. If you look at schools with 3 rounds they say by the end of Rd 2 they have actually filled most of their spots so clearly they are taking in more than 1/3 per round. Since CBS is rolling it isn't that clear-cut but I would imagine since they have the most influence over exactly who is in a class during the ED round I would think they would want to shape a good proportion of that class, so more than a third.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 20:36
mappleby wrote:
QiuYidio wrote:
mappleby wrote:
FYI the admitted students website is finally up and running. You should also get your Columbia email address.

Posted from my mobile device Image

How / where did you get an email address?

I got an email update today with my Columbia.edu email address and telling me I could set up my account on the admitted students website.

hey hey! i got an email to the admitted student website too but they still ask me to use my old email address when applying. I tried the reset thing but it didnt work for me and the next time I still failed logging in. Any ideas? Thanks!!! looking forward to seeing my future classmates!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q41 V50
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 11:28
ummm... very dumb question here...
missed a call from Christina Shelby this morning when i was in a meeting... called back but no one picked up... left message but she hasn't called me back yet... and my online status did not change either...
dumb question is... a call must be non-bad news right? she wouldn't call about a rejection, would she? Anyone else that has gone through the process either admitted or rejected please help out... this is even more stressful than when i was waiting to hear back...

applied: oct. 1
interview: nov. 6
missed stupid call: today...
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 11:52
madknife wrote:
missed a call from Christina Shelby this morning when i was in a meeting... called back but no one picked up... left message but she hasn't called me back yet... and my online status did not change either...
dumb question is... a call must be non-bad news right? she wouldn't call about a rejection, would she? Anyone else that has gone through the process either admitted or rejected please help out... this is even more stressful than when i was waiting to hear back...

Most of the calls have come from an unlisted number so I don't want to get your hopes up but in general yes. They only call admits, you would get an email notification for a ding or waitlist. Be glad it is Monday. I missed my first call on a Friday afternoon and they didn't call again until Tuesday!
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 11:55
mappleby wrote:
madknife wrote:

Most of the calls have come from an unlisted number so I don't want to get your hopes up but in general yes. They only call admits, you would get an email notification for a ding or waitlist. Be glad it is Monday. I missed my first call on a Friday afternoon and they didn't call again until Tuesday!

yeah, it was an unlisted number. she left a msg though so i know it was her. she asked me to call back so i did twice... once in the late morning and once again just now... but got VM both times...

i guess this is not bad news... i'll keep my fingers crossed until i hear back!

thanks a lot for this reassurance mappleby!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 12:35
madknife wrote:
mappleby wrote:
madknife wrote:

yeah, it was an unlisted number. she left a msg though so i know it was her. she asked me to call back so i did twice... once in the late morning and once again just now... but got VM both times...

i guess this is not bad news... i'll keep my fingers crossed until i hear back!

thanks a lot for this reassurance mappleby!

Well in that case - congrats on the admit! Christina did my call as well and online status didn't change until I got the admit letter update one business day later.
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 17:49
madknife wrote:
knik wrote:

Well in that case - congrats on the admit! Christina did my call as well.

Yep. She just called back. I'm in!~
Looking forward to see you guys next year!

Congrats. What's your profile?
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 18:03
mappleby wrote:
madknife wrote:
knik wrote:

Well in that case - congrats on the admit! Christina did my call as well.

Yep. She just called back. I'm in!~
Looking forward to see you guys next year!

Congrats. What's your profile?

asian male living in canada, 3 years in PE, 750 GMAT, 3.9 GPA in engineering
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2012, 18:03