Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [5] , given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Columbia Business School - Class of 2015 (Matriculating 2013)

Official Columbia GSB Admissions Team on GMAT Club to Answer All Your Questions

Also, please see: Columbia GSB MBA Guide

Columbia Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2014)

Application Tracker Feed

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add Columbia GSB to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Essay Questions
Short Answer Question:
What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal? (200 characters maximum)

Essay 1:
A. Why are you pursuing an MBA at this point in your career, and how do you plan to achieve your immediate and long term post-MBA professional goals? (Maximum 500 words)

B. Please view this video, entitled Community at Columbia. Diverse, tight-knit clusters and carefully selected learning teams are defining features of the first year at Columbia Business School. Along with more than100 student organizations and countless events each semester, the cluster system helps to create a supportive and devoted lifelong community. Describe why you are interested in becoming a part of the Columbia community. (Maximum 250 words)

Essay 2:
Describe a personal experience and how it has influenced who you are today. This essay should have a personal rather than a professional focus. (Maximum 500 words)

Optional Essay
An optional fourth essay will allow you to discuss any issues that do not fall within the purview of the required essays.

Recommendations
All applications require two recommendations. If you have been working full-time for at least six months, one recommendation should be from your current supervisor. The second recommendation should be from either a former direct supervisor or from another professional associate, senior to you, who can add personal insight into your candidacy.

Recommendation questions include:
  • What is your relationship to and how long have you known the applicant? Is he or she still employed by your organization?
  • Please list three to five adjectives describing the applicant’s strengths.
  • Please compare the applicant’s performance to that of his or her peers.
  • What does the applicant do best?
  • If you were giving feedback to the applicant regarding his or her professional performance and personal effectiveness, in what areas would you suggest he or she work to improve?
  • How does the applicant accept constructive criticism or handle conflicts?
  • How effective are the applicant’s interpersonal skills in the workplace?
  • Please rate the applicant’s individual vs. team orientation (1 = most effective as an individual contributor; 5 = focused exclusively on the team)
  • Please elaborate on your rating:
  • Please give an example of how the applicant has demonstrated leadership.
  • Is there anything else you feel we should know?

Class Profile - Class entering 2011 (January and August)
Applications Received -6669
Applicants Accepted -1062
Acceptance Rate - 16%
Class Size - 751, divided into 11 clusters
January Entry Class Size - 203, divided into 3 clusters
August Entry Class Size - 548, divided into 8 clusters
GMAT Scores (average) - 716
GMAT Scores (middle 80%) - 680–760
Undergraduate GPA (average) -3.5
Undergraduate GPA (middle 80%) - 3.1–3.8
Work Experience (average) - 5 years
At Least One Year of Work Experience - 100%
  • 28% Financial Services, 20% Consulting, 8% Marketing/Media, 8% Tech, 5% Military/Gov, 4% Healthcare, 4% Real Estate, 3% Non-Profit, 2% Energy, 1% Manufacturing, 11% Other
  • 35% Social Sciences, 29% Business, 12% Engineering, 5% Sciences, 3% Technology, 1% Arts, 15% Other

Re-Applicant Checklist (if applied last academic year)
  • Submit a new application fee (US$250).
  • Update the “Personal,” “Family,” “Employment,” “Education,” and “Extracurricular Activities” sections of the online application.
  • Update the “How Will You Finance Your MBA?” section of the online application.
  • Submit transcripts of any additional courses taken since your previous application.
  • Submit one new, two-part essay:
    A. How have you enhanced your candidacy since your previous application? Please detail your progress since you last applied, and address how you plan to achieve your post-MBA and long-term professional goals. (Maximum of 500 words)
    B. Please view this video, entitled Community at Columbia. Diverse, tight-knit clusters and carefully selected learning teams are defining features of the first year at Columbia Business School. Along with more than100 student organizations and countless events each semester, the cluster system helps to create a supportive and devoted lifelong community. Describe why you are interested in becoming a part of the Columbia community. (Maximum 250 words)
  • Submit one new recommendation letter, preferably from your current employer, but if not, another colleague in a supervisory role or a client will suffice.

UPDATE: We have created a Facebook group for admitted students as well as a LinkedIn group. Join your fellow (soon-to-be) classmates online:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/cbs15/
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=4686288

Last edited by mappleby on 08 Nov 2012, 16:49, edited 12 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 37

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 14:27
My best friend is Columbia MBA Class of 2012. Anything I can ask him?
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '15
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 16:00
Reapplicant for CBS here - definitely giving it another (much more prepared) shot!
Best of luck to all! :-D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 107 [1] , given: 149

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 17:09
This post received
KUDOS
awoo124 wrote:
Reapplicant for CBS here - definitely giving it another (much more prepared) shot!
Best of luck to all! :-D

Best of luck to you too. I should mention I'm also a reapplicant this time around. It's my top choice for sure this year though so ED it is.
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '15 (S)
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Calling all Columbia Fall 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 22:58
Here we go guys. CBS has started taking in applications for Fall 2013 and J Term 2013. Let us start too..!!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 03:07
considering to apply for the early decision, but i am confused with the merit based fellowship,

if i apply for the early decision, will my application be in the fellowship evaluation or not ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 06:34
do a lot of people apply multiple times. this probably dilutes the applicant pool
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 06:40
andrew91v wrote:
do a lot of people apply multiple times. this probably dilutes the applicant pool

? You can only apply once in a given year. According to BusinessWeek, about 10% of CBS's applicants are re-applicants
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... umbia.html
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.23
WE: Asset Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 09:01
Reapplicant / ED here. Got WL'ed this spring so feeling confident this time around.

Good luck all
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Columbia Fall 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 09:41
Good luck folks. I was in your boat last year...and I will stick around for any advice. Classes have not started yet but I post august PM me and I can give you details on the pre-mba matriculation stuff and then about the core classes and the student experience.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 19

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 09:51
Expert's post
merged the "Calling all Columbia Fall 2013 Applicants" with "Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants"

Diversity

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 09:57
I'll be reapplying ED this year. Hopefully with much better luck than last year.

For those of you reapplying, I've heard the 'new' letter of rec needs to be from someone else, not just a new letter from one of your previous 2 recommenders. This is hugely disappointing to me if it's accurate, as I've worked for only two managers and both wrote letters for me last year. I can find someone else to write it, but I can't see the letter being as strong since all my work with them is project based.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 10:06
sdd996 wrote:
I'll be reapplying ED this year. Hopefully with much better luck than last year.

For those of you reapplying, I've heard the 'new' letter of rec needs to be from someone else, not just a new letter from one of your previous 2 recommenders. This is hugely disappointing to me if it's accurate, as I've worked for only two managers and both wrote letters for me last year. I can find someone else to write it, but I can't see the letter being as strong since all my work with them is project based.

I was a re-app last year and re-apps have a lot of the work cut out because its only 1 essay. But yes it is 1 new recommender, you cannot ask the last two to write again. I had confirmed this with adcoms last year.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 107 [1] , given: 149

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 15:57
This post received
KUDOS
myturn2012 wrote:

I was a re-app last year and re-apps have a lot of the work cut out because its only 1 essay. But yes it is 1 new recommender, you cannot ask the last two to write again. I had confirmed this with adcoms last year.

By, it's only 1 essay I'm assuming you mean 1 additional essay? Re-applicants still have to answer the regular essay questions like every other applicant...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 6

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 16:36
This post received
KUDOS
mappleby wrote:
myturn2012 wrote:

By, it's only 1 essay I'm assuming you mean 1 additional essay? Re-applicants still have to answer the regular essay questions like every other applicant...

Okay, I should have been more specific. Last year the rule was that if reapplying within 1 year, then submit 1 essay stating how you have improved your candidacy and how CBS is the right fit and elaborate on short/long goals. It was 750 words.

This year I see that CBS has kept the same essay for re-applicants and kept it at 500 words and added a new part based on the video. They do not need to write Essay 2 (personal experience essay).

For people who are reapplying more than 1 year later, it is exactly the same as every other applicant.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 19:46
Count me in for ED. It's NYC! The morals are looser, and the liquor is cheaper!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 04:16
Hey guys! I`ll be applying for RD - any other RD applicants around? Good luck to everyone!

One thing - I live abroad and cannot visit NYC before my application (unless a random lucky business trip comes up), does anyone know if this has a big impact?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 05:49
lonesoui wrote:

You must know a different NYC than I do haha. GL with your app.
Current Student
Schools: CBS '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 12:21
Quote:
One thing - I live abroad and cannot visit NYC before my application (unless a random lucky business trip comes up), does anyone know if this has a big impact?

Not even a tiny one, otherwise those who aren't able to travel would be disadvantaged.

Count me in for CBS.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 21:42
sdd996 wrote:
lonesoui wrote:

You must know a different NYC than I do haha. GL with your app.

It's a quote from an F Scott Fitzgerald's poem. They used it in the new Great Gatsby trailer

Does anyone know the situation with the ED $6k deposit? Like do we get it back once we pay tuition, does it get applied to tuition, or neither?
Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2012, 21:42