Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 06:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [5] , given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Columbia Business School - Class of 2015 (Matriculating 2013)

Official Columbia GSB Admissions Team on GMAT Club to Answer All Your Questions

Also, please see: Columbia GSB MBA Guide

Columbia Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2014)

Application Tracker Feed

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add Columbia GSB to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Essay Questions
Short Answer Question:
What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal? (200 characters maximum)

Essay 1:
A. Why are you pursuing an MBA at this point in your career, and how do you plan to achieve your immediate and long term post-MBA professional goals? (Maximum 500 words)

B. Please view this video, entitled Community at Columbia. Diverse, tight-knit clusters and carefully selected learning teams are defining features of the first year at Columbia Business School. Along with more than100 student organizations and countless events each semester, the cluster system helps to create a supportive and devoted lifelong community. Describe why you are interested in becoming a part of the Columbia community. (Maximum 250 words)

Essay 2:
Describe a personal experience and how it has influenced who you are today. This essay should have a personal rather than a professional focus. (Maximum 500 words)

Optional Essay
An optional fourth essay will allow you to discuss any issues that do not fall within the purview of the required essays.

Recommendations
All applications require two recommendations. If you have been working full-time for at least six months, one recommendation should be from your current supervisor. The second recommendation should be from either a former direct supervisor or from another professional associate, senior to you, who can add personal insight into your candidacy.

Recommendation questions include:
  • What is your relationship to and how long have you known the applicant? Is he or she still employed by your organization?
  • Please list three to five adjectives describing the applicant’s strengths.
  • Please compare the applicant’s performance to that of his or her peers.
  • What does the applicant do best?
  • If you were giving feedback to the applicant regarding his or her professional performance and personal effectiveness, in what areas would you suggest he or she work to improve?
  • How does the applicant accept constructive criticism or handle conflicts?
  • How effective are the applicant’s interpersonal skills in the workplace?
  • Please rate the applicant’s individual vs. team orientation (1 = most effective as an individual contributor; 5 = focused exclusively on the team)
  • Please elaborate on your rating:
  • Please give an example of how the applicant has demonstrated leadership.
  • Is there anything else you feel we should know?

Class Profile - Class entering 2011 (January and August)
Applications Received -6669
Applicants Accepted -1062
Acceptance Rate - 16%
Class Size - 751, divided into 11 clusters
January Entry Class Size - 203, divided into 3 clusters
August Entry Class Size - 548, divided into 8 clusters
GMAT Scores (average) - 716
GMAT Scores (middle 80%) - 680–760
Undergraduate GPA (average) -3.5
Undergraduate GPA (middle 80%) - 3.1–3.8
Work Experience (average) - 5 years
At Least One Year of Work Experience - 100%
  • 28% Financial Services, 20% Consulting, 8% Marketing/Media, 8% Tech, 5% Military/Gov, 4% Healthcare, 4% Real Estate, 3% Non-Profit, 2% Energy, 1% Manufacturing, 11% Other
  • 35% Social Sciences, 29% Business, 12% Engineering, 5% Sciences, 3% Technology, 1% Arts, 15% Other

Re-Applicant Checklist (if applied last academic year)
  • Submit a new application fee (US$250).
  • Update the “Personal,” “Family,” “Employment,” “Education,” and “Extracurricular Activities” sections of the online application.
  • Update the “How Will You Finance Your MBA?” section of the online application.
  • Submit transcripts of any additional courses taken since your previous application.
  • Submit one new, two-part essay:
    A. How have you enhanced your candidacy since your previous application? Please detail your progress since you last applied, and address how you plan to achieve your post-MBA and long-term professional goals. (Maximum of 500 words)
    B. Please view this video, entitled Community at Columbia. Diverse, tight-knit clusters and carefully selected learning teams are defining features of the first year at Columbia Business School. Along with more than100 student organizations and countless events each semester, the cluster system helps to create a supportive and devoted lifelong community. Describe why you are interested in becoming a part of the Columbia community. (Maximum 250 words)
  • Submit one new recommendation letter, preferably from your current employer, but if not, another colleague in a supervisory role or a client will suffice.

UPDATE: We have created a Facebook group for admitted students as well as a LinkedIn group. Join your fellow (soon-to-be) classmates online:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/cbs15/
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=4686288

Last edited by mappleby on 08 Nov 2012, 16:49, edited 12 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
8 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [8] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 12:37
This post received
KUDOS
Wow I'm excited to say I got admitted off the waitlist!!! I was beginning to think that I would have to wait until summer to get an answer. To all the other waitlisters out there, keep your chins up! :-D
7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: CBS '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [7] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 16:24
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the phone call from Amanda Carlson! I'm in! She took me totally off guard by calling at 7:15 PM (EST) - we're in the midst of hurricane devastation here on the East Coast so I was thinking it was the power company...great surprise!

My profile:
White male
26 years old
USA
740 (97% verbal, 73% quant --> shows that 80/80 is certainly not a requirement)
4 years of WE in engineering
Intended concentration: Real Estate

My timeline:
Applied ED 9/17
Interview invite 10/1
Interview/feedback submitted 10/13
Admitted 11/1 (longer delay than many posters here have been reporting)

Some advice (application preparation aside) for those of you who have not yet finished you application or who have not yet received a decision:

If you can, make a very pronounced effort to visit campus! I attended an MBA information session and the Real Estate Spotlight event. I'm not sure if everyone's aware of this, but the Admissions Office maintains an open-door environment, even on weekends. I stopped in on a Saturday with my story and some pointed questions ready, and I ended up having a very relaxed but very productive 20-minute conversation with one of the primary adcoms. I gambled on this, but I knew that if the meeting went well it would pay dividends. Sure enough, during my phone call Amanda told me that this informal meeting really made an impression with the adcom member I spoke to. She mentioned some other details (date of my wedding, etc.) that made it clear that the adcom had taken notes as soon as I left the Admissions Office that day (I exchanged business cards when I left).

To those of you still waiting: keep hope alive! I'll be happy to give more advice or answer more questions!
7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 11 [7] , given: 4

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in!!!! It was worth the wait!!

Timeline:
App Submited: 1/09
Invited to Interview: 2/18
Interviewed: 2/21
Feedback Submitted: 2/27
Decision Released: 3/12

They didn't say anything about any merit scholarships - does that mean I didn't get any for sure?
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q V0
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 11 [6] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 14:19
This post received
KUDOS
Accepted!

Submitted 12/29, Interview Invite 1/23, Interview 2/13 (took awhile to schedule), Interview Feedback Submitted 2/22, Accepted! 3/4 (got a call and then a few emails)

Congrats to other admits, and good luck to those waiting!
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Education (Education)

Kudos [?]: 12 [6] , given: 14

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
just got the acceptance call, right after i called columbia a tease =)
5 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 106 [5] , given: 149

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call for a Fellowship award! I guess that answers the question about Early Decision applicants. I honestly thought there was no way they would bother giving money to ED admits because we are already committed to the school. Glad I was mistaken.
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.72
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Law)

Kudos [?]: 22 [5] , given: 3

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
Accepted! Yay! So pleased. :)

Here's my timeline:

1/9: Applied minutes before the deadline;
2/18: Received interview invitation;
2/26: Interviewed (a very informal and enjoyable 1.5 hour conversation at a coffee shop; the only "interview questions" I was really asked were to walk through my resume, "Why Columbia?," to discuss my future goals (specifically and generally), and to describe a few times when I'd faced "adversity" in my life);
2/27: Feedback submitted; and
3/7: Accepted (via telephone call from "Unknown," followed by an email a few minutes later; I was told that my online status would be updated later today with "next steps").
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [4] , given: 1

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
DING with interview! international j-term reapplicant here. and i didn't even get a courtesy e-mail notifying me of the decision; i had to log in to my account to find the decision update, so be sure to check your app status regularly.

application process debrief and thoughts for what it's worth:

- at the time of submission (early july), there wasn't an application preview option before submission and i inadvertently clicked submit thinking that there would surely be a proof preview option before paying the application fee. there wasn't. but fortunately a frantic call to the adcom was all it took to have them reset my application to “not submitted”, giving me the opportunity to proof check before submitting.

- nevertheless, after submission and once the preview option became available a few days later, my application still looked crummy. text in certain sections was truncated, test scores for V/AWA sections were reversed, resume was missing etc. boggles the mind how a supposed top tier school cannot work out the bugs in their app system before releasing the app - unnecessary cause for apprehension to already stressed out applicants!

- as bad as it looked, i still received an interview invite within 1 day of submission. goes to show how fast adcom can move if they really want!

- before i freak people out, the quick processing was only because i requested an expedited review at the time of submission. i told them that i was considering some fall options as well and therefore need a decision in 3 weeks.

- surprisingly, they were very accommodating and in the interest of time even offered to do a skype interview with adcom instead of the usual alumni interview.

- i did the skype interview with one of the junior assistant directors 1 week later. the guy seemed decent enough but the video was turned off on the his end, so it was a bit awkward in the sense that i was staring at a blank screen unable to gauge his expressions/reactions.

- interesting interview - it was not blind like the traditional alumni interview (he had already read my app and had it in front of him) and i didn't get most of the standard CBS interview questions that you find on the clear admit website (you know those pesky "tell me about a time you demonstrated leadership/integrity" type bs questions). instead he asked me to walk him through my resume and then seemed to delve deeper into whatever areas of my application he felt needed more clarity.

some examples: i see that comp at your old firm was flat, so did you leave because you felt that you couldn't advance (clearly they use the compensation/bonus numbers as an indicator of your performance/advancement in a role); if you had the option to advance in pe, why did you leave to join your family business; a whole slew of questions about the family business - sales, number of employees, regional operations, managerial dynamics, etc.; a whole slew of questions about my post-MBA plans for the business - it doesn't appear that you have much managerial experience to date, so how do you think you'd be able to achieve your goals to manage what you project to be a growing and much larger organization in the future; it seems that you struggled in certain semesters in college (i had a gpa towards the low end of their admitted candidate range) so how do you expect to manage your priorities at CBS; how do you expect to contribute to CBS.

- on balance, i thought that his line of questioning was fair as it gave me an opportunity to address some of the weaker areas of my app. i just wished i had known what to expect ahead of time, so i could have prepared and articulated my responses more coherently.

- i received a final decision about 2 weeks after the interview.

- in conclusion, here's my overall sense about cbs: (i) they are really really stats focused (despite solid ib/pe work ex and a mid-700 gmat, they didn't blink at the low gpa. furthermore, a 70-point score improvement was the only material change since my previous app and this time around i made the interview cut). for applicants from well represented demographics, the stats carry far more weight than adcoms would care to disclose and while they won't guarantee you get in, low stats will definitely keep you out despite quality work experience, essays etc. so in the event that your stats are low, you are better off cranking on the gmat to get it over the 7 hurdle or taking the time to create an alternative transcript instead of wasting time polishing essays; (ii) they really want to know that you will be employable upon graduation; (iii) for j-term applicants, they want to be dead certain that you don't need the internship and want to see evidence that your goals are realistically attainable; (iv) if you have entrepreneurial goals, including family business, scale seems to matter (i would reckon revenues of $25M+ to carry some weight and get them comfortable); (v) for fall term applicants, i cannot emphasize enough how greatly you improve your odds if you apply ED as CBS uses it as an effective yield management tool.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [4] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 18:45
This post received
KUDOS
I got dinged today. Submitted Nov 1, interview invite on Dec 17, and interviewed on January 7th. Final review submitted on January 15th.

I'm convinced that it was because of my interview. My interviewer hated that I was on the younger side of the age range; he just didn't like me from the start and kept going back to my age which isn't even that young; it's still within the range.

My advice for anyone getting a Columbia invite, be careful on the interviewer you pick. Try go for someone older to interview you; they won't have as much of a superiority complex. Research them before you pick one. Make sure it is someone who could relate to you. I cannot stress how important this is.

Good luck!
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [4] , given: 42

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 12:52
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call! I can't even believe it!

Timeline in case it's helpful:

Nov 19th - Technically Submitted my portion of app
Dec 28th - App finally complete after second recommendation was finally submitted (thanks recommender!)
Jan 9th - Invitation to Interview
Jan 18th - Interviewed
Jan 30 - Had a missed call from a blocked number, suspect this may have been them
Feb 1 - Got another blocked call, answered and was accepted!
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [4] , given: 7

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 12:37
This post received
KUDOS
In! Here's my timeline:

App submitted: 12/24
Interview invite: 1/23
Interview: 2/4
Feedback submitted: 2/5
Acceptance: 2/18

Good luck to everyone and thanks to the gmatclub community for all of the helpful advice!
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [4] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 14:54
This post received
KUDOS
Seems like every time I post about not hearing from a school, I coincidentally get feedback right away... Got the good call today with $ - very excited to explore CBS. Good luck to everyone else!
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q V0
WE: Accounting (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 9 [4] , given: 9

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 16:04
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call - I'm in!

Application submitted: Jan 8th
Interview Invite: Feb 1st
Interview: Feb 12th
Feedback submitted/application complete: Feb 22nd
Admitted: March 4th

Now to make a decision between Stern and CBS...eek!
Goodluck to everyone still waiting!
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [4] , given: 5

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
Finally I can type up this post...

ACCEPTED!!!
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [3] , given: 63

Re: Columbia 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2012, 06:27
This post received
KUDOS
FYI everyone I'm a current student starting my 2nd year this fall. If anyone has questions, wants to meet up in person to chat, or would like me to look over your essays, let me know.

A good resource for admitted students is the peer advising website: http://cbspeeradvising.wordpress.com/. This may also help prospectives to get a feel for the school.

lonesoui wrote:
sdd996 wrote:
lonesoui wrote:
Count me in for ED. It's NYC! The morals are looser, and the liquor is cheaper!

You must know a different NYC than I do haha. GL with your app.

It's a quote from an F Scott Fitzgerald's poem. They used it in the new Great Gatsby trailer

Does anyone know the situation with the ED $6k deposit? Like do we get it back once we pay tuition, does it get applied to tuition, or neither?

It is applied toward tuition.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 106 [3] , given: 149

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 12:35
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call. I'm in!

Posted from my mobile device Image
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '15 (A)
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 2

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 08:17
This post received
KUDOS
I am in! Excited!

Posted from my mobile device Image
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.94
WE: Consulting (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 9 [3] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 12:40
This post received
KUDOS
interviewed today as sandy hit new york city. haha, it was quite an adventure going out there!
3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 106 [3] , given: 149

Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
Everybody who applies before the January deadline is automatically considered for fellowships and merit based scholarships. You don't have to do anything else.
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2012, 06:14