Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia: Accepted after waitlist but have dilemma

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Columbia: Accepted after waitlist but have dilemma [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 12:57
I got into Columbia for the January intake and I wanted to know if there is any precedence for admitted students getting approved for deferral for one year. I have a somewhat large company (by small company standards) that accepted a portfolio of projects after my waitlist. Since I didn't know whether I would get in, I committed to the projects but now that I'm in I'm not completely sure I can go. Is there precedence for students that own their own companies to defer because of such a circumstance? thanks.

I was originally a waitlister and I accepted these high value projects after I was waitlisted because I wasn't sure what would happen.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: 1.5 years in Banking/Capital Markets
WE 2: ~1 year in financial services/risk mgmt
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia: Accepted after waitlist but have dilemma [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 14:13
Hi Amit,

Sorry to take away from your question but did you receive any specific guidance from your waitlist manager as to what to do or did you just send a waitlist letter and wait? I'm a ED waitlist candidate, so am just trying to figure out the best way to go about the process. Sorry I answered your question with just another question!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia: Accepted after waitlist but have dilemma [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 14:22
Hey there,
I received a waitlist letter through the electronic system and called to let them know that I was still interested. I just followed the instructions in the letter to be honest. I applied to the January start program which I believe is managed slightly differently than the ED prog. I just got a call this morning notifying me that the I had an offer if I wanted it. My guess is that ED waitlisters would have to wait a little longer...perhaps until january. This is just a guess however. hope that helped.

good luck!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth class of 2012
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Columbia: Accepted after waitlist but have dilemma [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 15:10
mbasc2010 wrote:
Hi Amit,

Sorry to take away from your question but did you receive any specific guidance from your waitlist manager as to what to do or did you just send a waitlist letter and wait? I'm a ED waitlist candidate, so am just trying to figure out the best way to go about the process. Sorry I answered your question with just another question!

Hi - read my post on the CBS forum mbasc2010, it answers all your questions.

calling-all-2010-cbs-applicants-merged-78610-620.html#p660132
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: Columbia: Accepted after waitlist but have dilemma [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 17:19
Amitgovin, I can't speak definitively for CBS, but Columbia in general is pretty good about letting you defer if you have an adequate reason. While I don't know what the situation is like for the business program, I know for undergrad and the law school at Columbia there were a good number of deferrals. I know individuals who deferred for one year to spend time abroad or volunteer, which are worthy causes, but not exactly mandatory activities. I think if you explain your situation they'd be understanding, but again I could be wrong bc CBS and undergrad do have different admission boards.
Re: Columbia: Accepted after waitlist but have dilemma   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2009, 17:19