Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia Business School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 06:05
mlchang616 wrote:
Hi,

Could you comment briefly on student interactions based on your campus visit. How does the professor generally interact with students?

Thank you,

-M

mlchang,
My campus visit was great! Student interactions were frequent and helpful. First, I was taken by a student to a class, Entrepreneurial Finance, and there he introduced me to everyone who walked in and sat down next to us. Everyone gave their take on why I should go to Columbia...everyone. The student also introduced me to thr professor, who gave me a handout with which to follow along. He told me upfront that he was not going to call on me, which also infers: don't participate. That was fine with me, as it was my time to observe. Come Fall, I will participate all day! I was surprised that I could follow along so well, I thought most of the material would go over my head. But, when you think about it Entrepreneurial Finance is just like learning about investments, but just a different type of vehicle than the usual stocks and bonds. The professor tried explaining it using the Black-Scholes Model, which is an investment tool that I use at work to value options and he applied it to venture capitalism. Very interesting, and it was exciting to think that I could be learning that material very soon!

After class, the student dropped me off at the Admissions Office where there were Peer Advisors. The Peer Advisors hang out in the Admissions Office to answer questions and discuss Columbia and the MBA epxerience. There were other prospective students there, as well. I asked a slew of questions, and the answers to some I even mentioned in my essay. One really cool thing was that Linda Meehan stepped out of her office to say hi and answer some of our questions! After about an hour, it was time for my next class. This class was a core Corporate Finance course, and it was the same thing: students talked to me about Columbia, and then I sat and observed the class.

Overall, the students were personable, and they all seem to have a genuine pride in their school. They built up Columbia to me without seeming forced to do so, nor did they bash other schools. I did not interact with the professors as I did with the students, but I did not plan on it. I was there to observe the professors, and I was nothing short of impressed! You can just tell that they are all brilliant. I especially liked how they had a perfect balance of lecturing and interacting.

I hope this encourages you to visit for yourself, or, that is not possible, interact with the community somehow. Best of luck with applications!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 07:51
djhouse81,

Just curious - what do most Columbia students do for housing? I know that many apartments and brokers in Manhattan require you to prove a certain income level or have a guarantor in order to lease a unit. Does Columbia have connections to make the housing hunt painless and easy?

Which neighborhood do you plan to live in and where do you think most of your classmates will live?

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 14:52
terp06 wrote:
djhouse81,

Just curious - what do most Columbia students do for housing? I know that many apartments and brokers in Manhattan require you to prove a certain income level or have a guarantor in order to lease a unit. Does Columbia have connections to make the housing hunt painless and easy?

Which neighborhood do you plan to live in and where do you think most of your classmates will live?

Terp06,
Most students live in apartments off campus in the Upper West Side. I have yet to actually delve into the housing process because I have roommates-to-be who are already in NYC and on the case. However, the Yahoo group is bustling (and I mean bustling!) with posts regarding housing. There's even a subgroup that is made up of students who are trying to find roommates within the class. There's also graduates who are trying to pass along their apt's to incoming students. It does not hurt or help these grads, but if they like the place but have to move then they would like the "next generation" to get a good deal. From what I can see, everyone works together to find housing and that makes it less daunting and more exciting.

The Peer Advisors have compiled a wiki of important information regarding housing--a perfect example of the teamwork involved in the apt hunt--and the only type of place that will most likely require income verification and/or a guarantor is a co-op. And, if you use a broker, then you will pay for that service unless the landlord does for you. Otherwise, it just takes some serious research on the , with the help of your classmates of course, and then hit the streets/subways!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 10:41
Hi DJHouse,

What do you know about the process of selecting 2nd year electives? Could you tell us a little bit about the bidding process?

Thanks,

-M
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 16:55
mlchang616 wrote:
Hi DJHouse,

What do you know about the process of selecting 2nd year electives? Could you tell us a little bit about the bidding process?

Thanks,

-M

I hope this question is not a make or break for you because I have never gone through the process, so I can only tell you what I have read. You get a set number of bid points every semester, which you can carry over if you do not use them all. You can bid any number of points for each class, and the highest get in but they get in for the lowest amount of points that were bid and accepted. I.E. if a class has 40 spots and exactly 39 people bid 500 points and one person bids 1 point, then they will all get in for 1 point because that is lowest number of points that were bid. There are multiple rounds of bidding, so people can see the lay of the land and then allocate more or less points. There's definitely a strategy. As for electives, since they are more compeititve and they may take more points than core courses, students get extra points added to their account just for bidding on electives.

That's all I have so far on that subject. I will post more when I actually go through the process.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 20:26
DJHouse,

Thanks for that reply! Its certainly not a deal-breaker for me. But an interesting topic. NOt sure whether you know this, but would think that students would know what the highest and lowest bids are for a course. right?

Thanks,

-M
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 05:13
mlchang616 wrote:
DJHouse,

Thanks for that reply! Its certainly not a deal-breaker for me. But an interesting topic. NOt sure whether you know this, but would think that students would know what the highest and lowest bids are for a course. right?

Thanks,

-M

I'm going to have to defer this question until I've been through the process.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 20:01
Hi DJHouse:
Columbia is my first choice. I've always dreamt of going to this school.
Anyway, Would you have any idea on what the admissions council are particularly looking for in a candidate?And which concentration does the school play best? (Eg. Harvard-General Management, Kellogg- Marketing, Wharton- Finance, Stanford- Public Service etc.etc)
Thanks
SVP
SVP

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 20:02
DJHouse:

Sorry if this may be a personal question, but I'll leave you a generic out as well. Approximately how much do you plan to allot for monthly living expenses (including rent, utils, transportation, food, entertainment, and personal expenses) to live as a student and attend Columbia Business School? What do you think the budgets of most of your classmates will be? My guess was $3500/month on the low end and $5000/month on the high end for the I-Banker types. Does this sound about right for an individual (no wife, kids, etc.)?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 05:41
terp06 wrote:
DJHouse:

Sorry if this may be a personal question, but I'll leave you a generic out as well. Approximately how much do you plan to allot for monthly living expenses (including rent, utils, transportation, food, entertainment, and personal expenses) to live as a student and attend Columbia Business School? What do you think the budgets of most of your classmates will be? My guess was $3500/month on the low end and $5000/month on the high end for the I-Banker types. Does this sound about right for an individual (no wife, kids, etc.)?

This is the link for the estimated student budget for '07-'08, which is fairly similar to this year's student budget. http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnm ... n/expenses

This is only for 9 months because during the summer with internships your income and expenses might change depending on job and location. As you can see, for living and personal expenses it's about $2500 per month, which is on the low end (although the school says "moderate"). I could not say what the high end will be, but $5000 would be pretty cushy. That's a $3000/month studio with $2000 month in personal expenses...not too shabby. Right now, I have enough with savings and Stafford to be on the low-end of the estimated student budget. I am speaking with current students to determine if the estimated budget is realistic or if I need to borrow more to cover what will be more expenses than planned. Additional expenses that the budget does not include are school-related travel, such as the Spring Break Int'l trips, and random, unforseen costs. I will get back to you on that.
SVP
SVP

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 06:12
djhouse81 wrote:
terp06 wrote:
DJHouse:

This is the link for the estimated student budget for '07-'08, which is fairly similar to this year's student budget. http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnm ... n/expenses

This is only for 9 months because during the summer with internships your income and expenses might change depending on job and location. As you can see, for living and personal expenses it's about $2500 per month, which is on the low end (although the school says "moderate"). I could not say what the high end will be, but $5000 would be pretty cushy. That's a $3000/month studio with $2000 month in personal expenses...not too shabby. Right now, I have enough with savings and Stafford to be on the low-end of the estimated student budget. I am speaking with current students to determine if the estimated budget is realistic or if I need to borrow more to cover what will be more expenses than planned. Additional expenses that the budget does not include are school-related travel, such as the Spring Break Int'l trips, and random, unforseen costs. I will get back to you on that.

Thanks a lot for the insight. I guess I was figuring around $2500 for basic expenses too, but I know Columbia students like to go out a lot in the city and other things like Spring Break trips, etc. I figured would easily add up to another $500-1000/month.

VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 05:57
hello buddy

when you will be heading into the city

Buzz me when you are here

cheers
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 00:54
djhouse81 wrote:
terp06 wrote:
DJHouse:

Hi buddy,

I have some concerns regarding my profile whether it suits the like of Top 15 US B school. i want to move to pvt quity so i am keen to join a good finance school like Columbia, chicago, Wharton, Yale.....Also, how z Darden for finance..
i am planning to apply for 2011 graduating class. My profile:
Chartered accountant
Age 24
Work exp till date: 22 months
Current employer: Irevna research services (KPO of std & Poor's) in equity research
Past exp: Statutory audits with Deloitte

How does the profile look on paper. my concern is being employed with a KPO will adversely affect my profile???????

Will give my Gmat in Aug 08 as i was busy till june with my CFA level1 exam......Do you think i m too late to appear for Gmat. I believe ideally i should have appeared sometime in May- June.
Please suggest

If opportunity doesn't knock build a door

SVP
SVP

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 08:24
DJHouse,

Do you know what the Columbia-sponsored housing is like at CBS? Are most people from the West Coast able to receive it, or is it primarily reserved for international students? Is it shared apartments, solo apartments? What is the quality of them?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 23:10
Hi DJ,

you've pointed out before that alot of students go into consulting from columbia. I was wondering if you had any stats on how many students want to go to consulting vs how many get (internship or full time) at Mck/Bain/BCG?

As well, how competitive does it get for finance/banking jobs? I mean people from lesser known banks, do they have to fight an uphill battle against former GS?MS?LEH etc guys?

thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 08:18
terp06 wrote:
DJHouse,

Do you know what the Columbia-sponsored housing is like at CBS? Are most people from the West Coast able to receive it, or is it primarily reserved for international students? Is it shared apartments, solo apartments? What is the quality of them?

University housing is tough to get for b-school students. It is usually determined by your distance from school, so if you are international or a west-coaster then you have best shot versus someone from Boston. If you are international, I think you are almost guaranteed to get University Housind if you want it. If you are from the west coast, it depends, especially if you are a late applicant.

If you have any questions regarding the off-campus housing process, I can tell you about it. Just went through it this past weekend, and it was interesting to say the least. I don't want to scare anybody away from NYC, but if you are accepted and before you go apt. hunting let me give you some major tips.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 08:29
fooFighter wrote:
Hi DJ,

you've pointed out before that alot of students go into consulting from columbia. I was wondering if you had any stats on how many students want to go to consulting vs how many get (internship or full time) at Mck/Bain/BCG?

As well, how competitive does it get for finance/banking jobs? I mean people from lesser known banks, do they have to fight an uphill battle against former GS?MS?LEH etc guys?

thanks!

I don't have the stats, but I will talk to some people to get some info for you. I know that one person whom I talked to said that there are lot of people who want to go to consulting from Columbia--more than you might think. He said there were 50-60 some odd McKinsey offers for the class of 2008. However, he said there were very few offers from Bain. That's one thing to note if you are interested in consulting: if you want McKinsey then CBS if for sure...Bain? not so much.

If you worked for a top i-bank before b-school, your chances of landing an internship at a top bank is better than a career switcher or someone who worked for a lesser known bank. However, that does not mean you won't get an i-banking internship, it just might be at Credit Suisse or Deutsche, which are highly ranked banks. You are still coming from Columbia, which vouches for your abilities. When it comes to full-time positios, having an i-bank internship at any i-bank will help your chances at landing a position at a top i-bank. Of course if you interned at Lehman, you have the best shot because they might offer you something when the summer is over. If you did not intern there but you interned at another i-bank, there will be positions for you. That i-banking internship, no matter where, is crucial to landing a full-time job at a top i-bank.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 23:34
I guess its true that for a FT job, consultants will take anyone, doing internships with them is not a must unlike ibanking.

Very useful stuff dj!
SVP
SVP

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 21:03
dj --

What are some characteristics of students that you think would "fit in" at Columbia and enjoy their time there? Additionally, what are some characteristics of students who should probably stay away from Columbia?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 10:54
terp06 wrote:
dj --

What are some characteristics of students that you think would "fit in" at Columbia and enjoy their time there? Additionally, what are some characteristics of students who should probably stay away from Columbia?

First off, to fit with Columbia you better fit with NYC, aside from how NYC affects your MBA experience. Although Columbia is tucked away from the city, relative to Stern, you will still be living there, and it is extremely fast-paced.

The other characterisitics that I have seen so far are akin to any school. Are you team-oriented, self-motivated, outgoing, etc? Do you want camaraderie? If "yes" to the aforementioned questions, then you would fit at Columbia, as well as Stanford or Darden or any other top school. The people are great, as they were at other schools I visited!

Where "fit" differs from the other schools is how NYC fits into the picture. Be prepared for NYC to play a big role in how students get together, bond, and interact with each other? The places you go with other students and activities you engage in are simply different than in other cities and college towns. The NYC-factor is a good thing, in my opinion, hence I applied to Columbia ED. If you're not ready for the NYC-factor, then you should stay away from Columbia. However, if you are ready for all that NYC brings to the MBA experience, personally and professionally, then you are a perfect candidate for Columbia.
Re: Columbia Business School   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2008, 10:54