Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia Business School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 14:01
leoneidas wrote:
djhouse81 wrote:
leoneidas wrote:
Hi

I am a Fall 2009 applicant. I will be applying to Columbia in the Early decision round. There are three questions which I would like to ask you

1. Some of the leading of schools like Stanford, Yale etc. are moving towards Integrated Curriculum. For e.g. Teaching marketing topics and simultaneously considering impact of marketing decisions on manufacturing operations.
How integrated is Columbia's curriculum?

2. How closely-knit is Columbia's Student Community (Considering columbia's reputation of being a commuter school)

3. Columbia and NYU Stern are the two leading B schools in New York. Both have a strong finance focused programs. What really differentiates these two B schools. ( I am not sure whether it would to right to put forward such a question to you. But I am just trying my luck :wink: )

1. Columbia just revised its core curriculum to make it more integrated and to prepare students earlier for the business fundamentals that are tested during internship recruiting. Check out this link for more information: http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/academ ... curriculum

2. Columbia has a reputation for being a commuter school, but that is a bit of a misnomer. Students live near campus and have to commute to school somehow, but when they get on campus they are there all day. With that being said, staying on campus all day with your fellow classmates bodes well for bonding!

3. Columbia and Stern are very similar on the surface, but if you dig deeper you will see the differences. For example, departments and programs are run very differently, such as how they treat Entrepreneurship or Value Investing. Plus, the location of the campuses mak for a different experience. Have you visited yet either schools yet? If not, I recommend doing so; that will give you a solid view of the differences. Also, reasearch the websites of each, and compare their departments and the classes and opportunities associated with each. You can be successful graduating from either institution, but they believe in different means of getting there.

Thanks for your prompt reply....

Being an international applicant based in India, I dont think I would be able to presonally visit Columbia Campus. However I have registered for the Columbia Admissions Information Session and Reception organised in India. For me the main source for gathering information is the the CBS website, and various forums.

Your comments are definitely helpful.

BTW how much importance does the admissions committee place on Campus visit by the applicants.

They place importance on how well you know the school and how strongly you want to attend. Usually, visiting the school helps demonstrate your interest, but for internationals it is never expected that you travel to the school. There are plenty of ways to learn about the school and to demonstrate your interest without visiting.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 14:25
terp06 wrote:
What is a good idea of a rough monthly student budget for a CBS student? I know that this will vary wildly - but it seems like the estimates on Columbia's website are extremely low.

Columbia has on their website about $75k for 9 months, which is $8333 per month--this includes everything school-related and personal expenses. I have budgetd myself $1000 per month more than that. However, my budget includes some aspects that CBS leaves out, such as the purchase of new suits and travel. The school trips can run around $5000, and they do not include that in the $75k. Students have been known to take out additional loans to cover the travel costs. Otherwise, the budget on the website is spot on.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 18:21
djhouse81 wrote:
terp06 wrote:
What is a good idea of a rough monthly student budget for a CBS student? I know that this will vary wildly - but it seems like the estimates on Columbia's website are extremely low.

Columbia has on their website about $75k for 9 months, which is $8333 per month--this includes everything school-related and personal expenses. I have budgetd myself $1000 per month more than that. However, my budget includes some aspects that CBS leaves out, such as the purchase of new suits and travel. The school trips can run around $5000, and they do not include that in the $75k. Students have been known to take out additional loans to cover the travel costs. Otherwise, the budget on the website is spot on.

If you take out tuition, mandatory fees, health insurance, and books and supplies, you are left with $23670 for 9 months for your living expenses. This comes out to $2630/month.

I was predicting that it would cost approximately $1500/month for rent on the Upper West Side and between $1500-2000/month for food/going out/everything else (fairly generous, but I hear NYC is expensive and Columbia kids like to go out a lot). This would come out to about what you mentioned - not including suits or travel expenses.

P.S. How many suits are you planning to buy? I was hoping to get by with buying 2 suits before school starts and maybe 1 more before my internship. Will I need more with all of the recruiting events for something like investment banking?

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 06:56
Dont forget to include trips into your budget. It seems pretty common for students these days to not only go on a class consulting trip overseas but also to go on a few vacations a year. Its amazing how fast expenses add up...I know Evanston is a very expensive suburb of Chicago and its depressing to see what stuff costs. Its not as cheap and easy to go to a grocery store like it was back home, and I would imagine NYC would be even worse. I think in cities people tend to eat out much more, and related entertainment costs are much higher. I mean just think if you go out once or two a week with friends and hang out its going to add up fast.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 07:38
solaris1 wrote:
I didn't think $1500 a month in rent was going to cut it unless you're sharing a place with 2 other students. Or living north of 125th. You'll want to live semi-decently.

I thought you can find plenty of nice room shares in 2BR type apartments for $1500 on the Upper West Side? Am I wrong? If I am, I have no problem going up to like 1800-1900-ish.

Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 09:03
Do most CBS students find a roomate to split a place with? dj, did you? Is there some way to get in touch with new classmtes that are potential roomates. I know that most schools use facebook, and I'm guessing they also give you some contact info for your classmates? Maybe they even have something set up to help new students find roomates?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 09:08
I believe dj mentioned a few months ago that they have a Yahoo group set up for admitted students, and it is generally buzzing with activity as far as the housing search/roommate matches. There is no way I could afford to live as a student in NYC without a roommate - and I would guess that 75% of the class is in the same boat.

Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 09:15
solaris1 wrote:
I didn't think $1500 a month in rent was going to cut it unless you're sharing a place with 2 other students. Or living north of 125th. You'll want to live semi-decently.

UAH apartments will run you probably 1K/month, but those are scarce.
Regular NYC apt will run at $1500 for share, I think.
Also, 125th street is considered the border between safety and not so safe anymore... usually.
Though Harlem really isn't that bad if you know where not to go at night.

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 09:24
terp06 wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

I thought you can find plenty of nice room shares in 2BR type apartments for $1500 on the Upper West Side? Am I wrong? If I am, I have no problem going up to like 1800-1900-ish.

You can definitely find a good place for $1500 in the UWS, as long as you have a roommate. I am in Midtown West now, and I am paying $1325, true 3BR.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 09:25
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Do most CBS students find a roomate to split a place with? dj, did you? Is there some way to get in touch with new classmtes that are potential roomates. I know that most schools use facebook, and I'm guessing they also give you some contact info for your classmates? Maybe they even have something set up to help new students find roomates?

There's Facebook, our Yahoo group, the Open Houses, basically plenty of opportunities to find a classmate to be your roommate. Just take the initiative early on so you are not left hanging in July.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 13:14
terp06 wrote:

P.S. How many suits are you planning to buy? I was hoping to get by with buying 2 suits before school starts and maybe 1 more before my internship. Will I need more with all of the recruiting events for something like investment banking?

I forgot to answer this. I bought two suits, so that makes three including the that I already have. I think 3 should be good, and I'm willing to guess that two can cut it if you have plenty of dress shirts and ties.
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 13:03
Hi Djhouse,

Curious, when you say that most students live on the Upper West Side, do you mean Morningside Heights specifically? Or are you talking about all of the Upper West Side (from 59th street all the way up to Columbia)? I'm just trying to clarify semantics :)

I guess I was surprised that you mentioned most people live on the UWS cuz I would've imagined that students would want to be as close to campus as possible, and thus stay in Morningside Heights. Admittedly, it's only slightly closer but still... Thanks!

Young TienyChesney's fall 2009 aspirant blog:

http://mbaveggie.blogspot.com

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 13:05
TienyChesney wrote:
Hi Djhouse,

Curious, when you say that most students live on the Upper West Side, do you mean Morningside Heights specifically? Or are you talking about all of the Upper West Side (from 59th street all the way up to Columbia)? I'm just trying to clarify semantics :)

I guess I was surprised that you mentioned most people live on the UWS cuz I would've imagined that students would want to be as close to campus as possible, and thus stay in Morningside Heights. Admittedly, it's only slightly closer but still... Thanks!

I would also love to hear about this, as well as the smaller nuances/differences between UWS and Morningside Heights. I've heard that UWS in the 70s and 80s is a great spot to live and that a lot of CBS students live there.

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 13:19
The 3 alums I spoke to said most CBS folks they knew lived on the UWS or around Lincoln Center.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 14:57
TienyChesney wrote:
Hi Djhouse,

Most live in the UWS because it is very residential, easy access to other areas of Manhattan, and and a sort commute to Columbia. There are people who live above and below that for whatever reason. Someone might live above because they prefer to walk to campus, and someone might live below because they prefer the downtown neighborhoods. It's all preference and what you can tolerate as a commute. If you live in the 70's or 80's you get the best of both worlds, in my opinion (short commute and great neighborhood). Wherever you live, you won't be the lone CBS student...and that includes New Jersey (although I don't recommend it)!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 22:07
Are there students who live in 40s (i.e. midtown)? Or is it just not worth the commute?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 19:48
rigger wrote:
Are there students who live in 40s (i.e. midtown)? Or is it just not worth the commute?

There's students everywhere. There's one guy who lives in Gramercy, which is a 45 minute commute. It all depends on your priorities, but you will not be alone anywhere.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 19:49
I have started Orienttion, and here are three adjectives that describe it: Amazing! Busy! Exhausting!

If I do not reply to questions, I apologize in advance, but I do not have a lot of time. I will try my best.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2008, 02:49
Hi Buddy,

Must be a great feeling once u graduate. To brief about me, i am a chartered accountant from India (equivalent to CPA in US). Of late i have been doing a lot of research on US Bschools. i m more inclined towards PE post MBA. my hunch is Columbia is strongly focussed towards finance and private equity. Just want to know whether my assessment is coorect. May i know what percentage of your batch got into PE post MBA and whther it was through internship there or some other way and what is the typical profile of a person who gets into PE. Thanks

djhouse81 wrote:
I have started Orienttion, and here are three adjectives that describe it: Amazing! Busy! Exhausting!

If I do not reply to questions, I apologize in advance, but I do not have a lot of time. I will try my best.

If opportunity doesn't knock build a door

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2008, 21:24
Does columbia offer any student housing for b-school students? Or are you pretty much on your own for finding a place? (I think I looked into this before but am getting my schools mixed up :oops: )
thanks,
ac.
Re: Columbia Business School   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2008, 21:24