Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia Business School

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 14:57
TienyChesney wrote:
Hi Djhouse,

Curious, when you say that most students live on the Upper West Side, do you mean Morningside Heights specifically? Or are you talking about all of the Upper West Side (from 59th street all the way up to Columbia)? I'm just trying to clarify semantics :)

I guess I was surprised that you mentioned most people live on the UWS cuz I would've imagined that students would want to be as close to campus as possible, and thus stay in Morningside Heights. Admittedly, it's only slightly closer but still... Thanks!


Most live in the UWS because it is very residential, easy access to other areas of Manhattan, and and a sort commute to Columbia. There are people who live above and below that for whatever reason. Someone might live above because they prefer to walk to campus, and someone might live below because they prefer the downtown neighborhoods. It's all preference and what you can tolerate as a commute. If you live in the 70's or 80's you get the best of both worlds, in my opinion (short commute and great neighborhood). Wherever you live, you won't be the lone CBS student...and that includes New Jersey (although I don't recommend it)!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2005
Posts: 405
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 22:07
Are there students who live in 40s (i.e. midtown)? Or is it just not worth the commute?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 19:48
rigger wrote:
Are there students who live in 40s (i.e. midtown)? Or is it just not worth the commute?


There's students everywhere. There's one guy who lives in Gramercy, which is a 45 minute commute. It all depends on your priorities, but you will not be alone anywhere.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 19:49
I have started Orienttion, and here are three adjectives that describe it: Amazing! Busy! Exhausting!

If I do not reply to questions, I apologize in advance, but I do not have a lot of time. I will try my best.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 26
Location: Chennai
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2008, 02:49
Hi Buddy,

Must be a great feeling once u graduate. To brief about me, i am a chartered accountant from India (equivalent to CPA in US). Of late i have been doing a lot of research on US Bschools. i m more inclined towards PE post MBA. my hunch is Columbia is strongly focussed towards finance and private equity. Just want to know whether my assessment is coorect. May i know what percentage of your batch got into PE post MBA and whther it was through internship there or some other way and what is the typical profile of a person who gets into PE. Thanks

djhouse81 wrote:
I have started Orienttion, and here are three adjectives that describe it: Amazing! Busy! Exhausting!

If I do not reply to questions, I apologize in advance, but I do not have a lot of time. I will try my best.

_________________

If opportunity doesn't knock build a door

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2008, 21:24
Does columbia offer any student housing for b-school students? Or are you pretty much on your own for finding a place? (I think I looked into this before but am getting my schools mixed up :oops: )
thanks,
ac.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2008, 11:52
ac8706 wrote:
Does columbia offer any student housing for b-school students? Or are you pretty much on your own for finding a place? (I think I looked into this before but am getting my schools mixed up :oops: )
thanks,
ac.


I think they offer limited housing for internationals and west coast students only. The vast majority of students find their own housing. Also, other than the fact that CBS campus housing is a great deal, I've heard pretty bad things.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 20:58
deepakg wrote:
Hi Buddy,

Must be a great feeling once u graduate. To brief about me, i am a chartered accountant from India (equivalent to CPA in US). Of late i have been doing a lot of research on US Bschools. i m more inclined towards PE post MBA. my hunch is Columbia is strongly focussed towards finance and private equity. Just want to know whether my assessment is coorect. May i know what percentage of your batch got into PE post MBA and whther it was through internship there or some other way and what is the typical profile of a person who gets into PE. Thanks

djhouse81 wrote:
I have started Orienttion, and here are three adjectives that describe it: Amazing! Busy! Exhausting!

If I do not reply to questions, I apologize in advance, but I do not have a lot of time. I will try my best.



Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have had little to no free time for anything besides school lately.

To answer your question, if you want finance or PE, Columbia is right for you (or if you don't want either of those fields). I am already beginning to see why we get such great recruiting, and one reason is we are in the backyard of a lot of these firms. Also, the CBS network is amazing. To go out and do the legwork of getting into some of the PE firms is not as difficult because there are so many alums in so many of these firms.

I don't know this year's recruiting number yet, but PE usually is less than 10%. The reason why is it's non-traditional. I-banks and consultancies come on campus, do structured event, and it makes it easier for the students to get a job. For PE, you will have to put in the effort to find a firm and get a job. There are plenty out there (although fewer given the dried up credit markets). A lot of students don't want to take the risk of going for PE because they might end up with nothing. The head of the PE department at Columbia says that if you want it, you'll get it--career switcher or not. It's just up to you to put in the effort but the resources are there.

There typical profile is an i-banker because they already know how to build the models and do the valuations. However, there are plenty of students who have no finance experience. They might not get jobs at KKR or Blackstone, but there are plenty of boutiques that will higher someone from Columbia. That's all you need to be offiicially "in" the PE world.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 21:01
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
ac8706 wrote:
Does columbia offer any student housing for b-school students? Or are you pretty much on your own for finding a place? (I think I looked into this before but am getting my schools mixed up :oops: )
thanks,
ac.


I think they offer limited housing for internationals and west coast students only. The vast majority of students find their own housing. Also, other than the fact that CBS campus housing is a great deal, I've heard pretty bad things.


I've heard mixed things about campus housing. Some people have had great experiences, and others nightmares. However, campus housing is cheaper, but you might get what you pay for. And, IHTG is correct, distance plays the biggest factor in getting campus housing. If you end up getting your own place, you will be fine. Columbia and other students will be a resource for you no matter which route you go with housing.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 26
Location: Chennai
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2008, 01:18
Thank you very much buddy. I understand you must be occupied with the school activities. Worth appreciating that inspite of all this you take the pain to reply these posts. your words of great help indeed. Infact, Unlike others you presented a very encouraging picture. My current profile includes preparing financial models, forecasting etc....so shud be a good chance hopefully!

Thanks again
djhouse81 wrote:
deepakg wrote:
Hi Buddy,

Must be a great feeling once u graduate. To brief about me, i am a chartered accountant from India (equivalent to CPA in US). Of late i have been doing a lot of research on US Bschools. i m more inclined towards PE post MBA. my hunch is Columbia is strongly focussed towards finance and private equity. Just want to know whether my assessment is coorect. May i know what percentage of your batch got into PE post MBA and whther it was through internship there or some other way and what is the typical profile of a person who gets into PE. Thanks

djhouse81 wrote:
I have started Orienttion, and here are three adjectives that describe it: Amazing! Busy! Exhausting!

If I do not reply to questions, I apologize in advance, but I do not have a lot of time. I will try my best.



Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have had little to no free time for anything besides school lately.

To answer your question, if you want finance or PE, Columbia is right for you (or if you don't want either of those fields). I am already beginning to see why we get such great recruiting, and one reason is we are in the backyard of a lot of these firms. Also, the CBS network is amazing. To go out and do the legwork of getting into some of the PE firms is not as difficult because there are so many alums in so many of these firms.

I don't know this year's recruiting number yet, but PE usually is less than 10%. The reason why is it's non-traditional. I-banks and consultancies come on campus, do structured event, and it makes it easier for the students to get a job. For PE, you will have to put in the effort to find a firm and get a job. There are plenty out there (although fewer given the dried up credit markets). A lot of students don't want to take the risk of going for PE because they might end up with nothing. The head of the PE department at Columbia says that if you want it, you'll get it--career switcher or not. It's just up to you to put in the effort but the resources are there.

There typical profile is an i-banker because they already know how to build the models and do the valuations. However, there are plenty of students who have no finance experience. They might not get jobs at KKR or Blackstone, but there are plenty of boutiques that will higher someone from Columbia. That's all you need to be offiicially "in" the PE world.

_________________

If opportunity doesn't knock build a door

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 13:58
djhouse81,

Can you please tell us about how recruiting is going at CBS this year? How is investment banking, consulting, investment management, etc. going? Are you seeing a lot of people who wanted investment banking switching over to consulting? Are you seeing the presence of a lot of boutique firms on campus?
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 09:18
What an amazing and thoughtful post. Thank you. +1

Best of luck with IB recruiting and let us know how it goes! I submitted my app for CBS RD earlier this week and I am really excited about the school.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2009, 08:59
agold wrote:
What an amazing and thoughtful post. Thank you. +1

Best of luck with IB recruiting and let us know how it goes! I submitted my app for CBS RD earlier this week and I am really excited about the school.


Good luck agold. If you end up visiting campus, let me know and I will show you around.

One more thought regarding IM recruiting. The IM recruiting done on campus is mostly mutual funds, such as Fidelity. If you want hedge funds, that might take more leg work because they tend to recruit off campus. They want people who are going to make the effort contacting them. I think this is especially true for the ones who are trying to navigate the economy right now. They do not need an intern, but one comes across their path who is right for the job they will hire. The funds that raised capital before the downturn and are navigating well are more likely to recruit on campus.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3405
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2009, 10:56
There is a PE forum on CBS campus, on Jan16th I believe. Its a good time to visit campus and see how and whats going on in that industry. ..
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2009, 11:12
djhouse81 wrote:
agold wrote:
What an amazing and thoughtful post. Thank you. +1

Best of luck with IB recruiting and let us know how it goes! I submitted my app for CBS RD earlier this week and I am really excited about the school.


Good luck agold. If you end up visiting campus, let me know and I will show you around.

One more thought regarding IM recruiting. The IM recruiting done on campus is mostly mutual funds, such as Fidelity. If you want hedge funds, that might take more leg work because they tend to recruit off campus. They want people who are going to make the effort contacting them. I think this is especially true for the ones who are trying to navigate the economy right now. They do not need an intern, but one comes across their path who is right for the job they will hire. The funds that raised capital before the downturn and are navigating well are more likely to recruit on campus.


djhouse,

Thanks for all the insight. One more question if you don't mind - will a 710 GMAT hold you back at all during IM or IB recruiting? Do places like Goldman Sachs or Fidelity look for way higher scores? Do they even look at the Quant portion itself at all, or only the composite score?
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 18:18
fresinha12 wrote:
There is a PE forum on CBS campus, on Jan16th I believe. Its a good time to visit campus and see how and whats going on in that industry. ..


January 30th. I'll be there!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 18:43
agold wrote:

djhouse,

Thanks for all the insight. One more question if you don't mind - will a 710 GMAT hold you back at all during IM or IB recruiting? Do places like Goldman Sachs or Fidelity look for way higher scores? Do they even look at the Quant ortion itself at all, or only the composite score?


No it won't at all. Of course a higher score makes you more attractive, but it hasn't hurt me nor all of the other 700's, 710's, etc. I speak on behalf of ibankers, of course.

For IM, since there are fewer jobs, it might make more of a difference. But for IM, the stock pitch is paramount. During recruiting you will set up informationals, and they will probably ask for a stock pitch. If you give them a good one, you're all set, if not--even with a 770--you're done. IM recruiting is not as structured and the competition is tougher for various reasons, such as the CFA designation is more prevalent.

If you want to do IBanking, your time is best spent now researching firms, formulating your pitch, getting familiar with the markets and economy, and getting ready to hit the ground running as soon as firms start recruiting. If you want to do IM, your time is best spent now researching long/short ideas and studying for your CFA. With a 710, your GMAT score is definitely not on your list of priorities.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 22:48
Thanks for the insight!
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 60
Schools: Columbia, Haas, IESE, Yale, Fuqua, Darden, NYU, Georgetown
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 07:34
Djhouse,
Thanks for the info thats good to know about the GMAT score and IM/IB. I've just applied to Coloumbia for 2009 admissions. Do you know how much weight the Columbia adcoms give to the CFA? I took and passed levels I (Dec 07) & II (June 08) this past year and am taking level III this June (fingers crossed). As a resut of: CFA study, work, gmat study & bschool essays I've had to put the rest of my life on hold this past year (read no extracurrulars over this last year).



djhouse81 wrote:
agold wrote:

djhouse,

Thanks for all the insight. One more question if you don't mind - will a 710 GMAT hold you back at all during IM or IB recruiting? Do places like Goldman Sachs or Fidelity look for way higher scores? Do they even look at the Quant ortion itself at all, or only the composite score?


No it won't at all. Of course a higher score makes you more attractive, but it hasn't hurt me nor all of the other 700's, 710's, etc. I speak on behalf of ibankers, of course.

For IM, since there are fewer jobs, it might make more of a difference. But for IM, the stock pitch is paramount. During recruiting you will set up informationals, and they will probably ask for a stock pitch. If you give them a good one, you're all set, if not--even with a 770--you're done. IM recruiting is not as structured and the competition is tougher for various reasons, such as the CFA designation is more prevalent.

If you want to do IBanking, your time is best spent now researching firms, formulating your pitch, getting familiar with the markets and economy, and getting ready to hit the ground running as soon as firms start recruiting. If you want to do IM, your time is best spent now researching long/short ideas and studying for your CFA. With a 710, your GMAT score is definitely not on your list of priorities.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 60
Schools: Columbia, Haas, IESE, Yale, Fuqua, Darden, NYU, Georgetown
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 16:16
djhouse81,
Thanks for the info. My fingers are crossed for level III. Level II was brutal
SP
Re: Columbia Business School   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2009, 16:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Columbia Business School Videos souvik101990 0 23 Feb 2013, 11:08
Experts publish their posts in the topic Columbia Business School navy01 1 09 May 2008, 04:42
Columbia Business School todolist 7 12 Nov 2007, 18:31
Columbia business school jainan24 1 22 Dec 2006, 13:22
Columbia Business School - Interview flowers24 4 19 Oct 2006, 16:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Columbia Business School

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 102 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.