Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia Business School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2009, 03:13
Djhouse81,

For the stock pitch - are IM and S&T guys looking for a 90-second sum up of the industry outlook, company, and attractive metrics (low p/e ratio, low debt, great growth) OR 10-15 minute in-depth analysis? Is it correct to assume that it's more about your reasoning (how you came to the conclusion) than the stock itself?

Also, do IMs and HFs follow the same recruitment time line as, say, bulge bracket firms? On a few other boards, I read that their recruitment process kicks off later in the year (after IB, S&T and MC offers have been made) and that students have to take initiative to land interviews/gigs at these firms.

Thanks for these wonderful insights - hope your interviews are going well!

djhouse81 wrote:

No it won't at all. Of course a higher score makes you more attractive, but it hasn't hurt me nor all of the other 700's, 710's, etc. I speak on behalf of ibankers, of course.

For IM, since there are fewer jobs, it might make more of a difference. But for IM, the stock pitch is paramount. During recruiting you will set up informationals, and they will probably ask for a stock pitch. If you give them a good one, you're all set, if not--even with a 770--you're done. IM recruiting is not as structured and the competition is tougher for various reasons, such as the CFA designation is more prevalent.

If you want to do IBanking, your time is best spent now researching firms, formulating your pitch, getting familiar with the markets and economy, and getting ready to hit the ground running as soon as firms start recruiting. If you want to do IM, your time is best spent now researching long/short ideas and studying for your CFA. With a 710, your GMAT score is definitely not on your list of priorities.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2009, 19:40
In general, how much tougher is it to break into HF than IM? If one does not have finance experience pre-mba, will it be tough getting interviews with HFs?

Sorry for badgering you with all these questions but thanks for being so helpful. You're sick (+1).

djhouse81 wrote:
The stock pitch that they are looking for could be the entire interview. Most people have prepared a few long/short, so they are prepared for any number of questions about stock picks. And, you are correct, it is more about the reasoning than the stock itself. The stock pitch process is very involved, and it can take months to familiarize yourself with the stock, the industry, and various other trends and economic factors. The people I know who are going for IM jobs know their stuff when it comes to stock pitches.

You are once again correct, IM/HF/PE recruitment is more candidate initiated. However, I think CBS gets a fair amount of on campus recruiting in these areas because it is in NY and the school attracts very good candidates for IM/HF/PE firms. However, most of the IM recruiting done on campus is with the buldge firms like Fidelity, PIMCO, DE Shaw, etc. If you want to work at other firms you will have the take the initiative. As far as timing goes, on campus recruiting is happening now with other IB and consulting on campus recruiting, but they take their time when it comes to making final decisions on offers--while IB and consulting comes to pretty swift decisions. If they do not recruit on campus, the recruiting starts deeper into second semester. The reasoning, and this applies especially to this economy, is that firms want to get closer to the summer to determine whether they need a summer intern.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2009, 10:35
jwizard wrote:
In general, how much tougher is it to break into HF than IM? If one does not have finance experience pre-mba, will it be tough getting interviews with HFs?

Sorry for badgering you with all these questions but thanks for being so helpful. You're sick (+1).

Keep the questions coming, I'm happy to help where I can. It is tough to get either interview without finance experience. Is it absolutely impossible? No. But it's a long shot. To put it in perspective, at top schools there are dozens of students with IM/HF/IB/PE backgrounds and other excellent stats on their resumes. IM and HF firms are going to want those people first, and there are not than many spots to begin with.

Your best bet if you have no finance experience is to shoot for a non-paying summer internship with a HF. There are plenty of those out there, especially in this economy. In the end, you get the experience, and that is validation enoguh for recruiters to want you for a full-time position come graduation. If unpaid does not work for you, but you still want to go after IM and HF then you need to start preparing immediately. You want to start reaching out to firms, maybe do a summer internship before you start school, read up on stock pitches, start prepping for the CFA, etc. I believe that if you want something bad enough then the effort you put forth will shine through to recruiters. They want someone on board who has unbridled enthusiasm because that translates into solid work.

To sum up, it is not impossible to get a HF/IM internship without finance, but it is rarely seen.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 21:19
jwizard wrote:
.... Since it's tough to land buy-side jobs without finance experience, do the majority of students opt for the sell-side route? I've read that BB S&T programs are more structured, and more willing to take on students who lack experience but have demonstrated a clear interest in finance. From what you can gather, would you say that this is accurate, that BBs are less fixated on experience?

Also, which desks tend to the most popular? (and any insight into why is Fixed income so popular?)

Thanks again dude!

S&T jobs at IB's are more likely to accept candidates with little or no S&T experience. As long as you know why you want to do S&T and you have a solid pitch then that should validate you for the field. Also, being able to discuss your own investments is key.

S&T is also one of the worst areas for recruiting. S&T jobs have been dessmimated by the financial crisis, and they are scarce at IB's. Very few people are getting interviews, let alone offers, for S&T at IB's. Of course that all might change by next year's recruiting season when they need to ramp up. Those who get offers are not necessarily for S&T people. If you really want S&T and you have no finance experience, you will have to approach it just as seriously as IM; the one difference is sell-side is much more structured and the off-campus recruiting leg work is not nearly as intense as IM. S&T would be a better start for those without finance experience, but hopefully that space will turn around soon because it is very tough for S&T recruits right now.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia, NYU

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2009, 13:51
I'll be attending this, and I'd love to hear your opinion on types of classes, clubs, other extracurriculars exist for someone interested in IM. Also if you have any info on the Value Investing program, how popular it is, difficulty etc.. I'm currently an ibanker looking to transition.

I plan to sit for the June CFA Level 1. But any other advice on how to prep prior to coming to campus. We can take this conversation off line since it's pretty specific. Send me a PM with you Columbia email.

Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 12:01
HarvardorBust wrote:
I'll be attending this, and I'd love to hear your opinion on types of classes, clubs, other extracurriculars exist for someone interested in IM. Also if you have any info on the Value Investing program, how popular it is, difficulty etc.. I'm currently an ibanker looking to transition.

I plan to sit for the June CFA Level 1. But any other advice on how to prep prior to coming to campus. We can take this conversation off line since it's pretty specific. Send me a PM with you Columbia email.

Thanks in advance.

HarvardorBust you're not applying to Harvard? :-D
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia, NYU

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 14:36
Yeah, I was expecting a comment on that. Created my username long before I visited schools and narrowed down choices. Came to the conclusion that I wanted to be in NYC (professional and personal reasons).

Not to knock Harvard, but I actually didn't like it when I visited. Beautiful campus, smart/ driven students, but I just didn't feel the fit. Too many Type-A personalities, entitled I go to the best school type of vibe. I went to a Harvard-like undergrad and really didn't have that good of a time for the reasons listed above.
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 07:21
Hi,

I'm planning a visit to Columbia this June. Does the school prefer students to visit the admissions office? I know that some schools don't track visits, but some do and weigh them in your application. Would appreciate any insights, thanks.

Regards,
Aboo
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2009, 00:19
Hi djhouse. Thanks for providing a ton of great information throughout this thread!

Do you know how willing Columbia is to extend the deposit deadline? I have until March 2nd, but I'd like to extend until beginning of April. Apparently, students who get admitted after Feb 20th will be able to make a deposit until sometime in April. So I am thinking it would be reasonable for me to ask Adcom even though I was admitted before Feb 20th. What do you think?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 19:48
Hi djhouse. Thanks for the ton of info so far. Any idea of how difficult it is to get an Investment Management internship or full-time offer from CBS?

Thanks!

Last edited by investasi on 07 Jun 2009, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 00:10
Dj House:
How's columbia on entrepreneurship?Aside from its master classes and PSI, which other programs would benefit entreps?
Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern

Expected GMAT score: [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 15:50
Hello guys,

I am new to this forum, I read the rules and found this to be the best place to ask this question. Feel free to move it to another place if this isn't the right place.

iam currently looking to apply for B-schools for the Fall 2010 semester.

Due to partying a lot, I ended up with undergrad GPA of 2.67, however due to good performance in my majors ( i was a dual major), I graduated with Honors in both of my majors ( Accounting and Economics).

Currently I am a Graduate student doing MS in Enterprise Risk Management from Queens College, NY ( part of city university of NY). My expected gpa at the end of this program is 3.8-3.9. I have passed all sections of the CPA exam. I am also hoping to clear level 1 of the CFA exam before applying for a B-School.

Work Experience:

I worked for 4 years in retail banking part-time, while going to school. I worked as Teller and Personal Banker.

I am currently working in a Insurance company since past 1.5 yrs, we do For-Profit and Not-For-Profit work for the unions. I started as a Auditor, and was promoted to Quality Assurance Analyst. I was promoted again to the title of Collections supervisor.

I want to join NYU part time/full time or Columbia full time. What should be the GMAT score I should be targeting considering my low undergrad GPA ?

What role does Graduated GPA plays in offsetting low undergrad GPA ?

All advice and insights are appreciated. Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 08:47
Hello,

The Healthcare management program matches my interests. Does the adcom give importance to prior experience and post MBA career plans of applicants for the Healthcare management program?

Here is my profile -
India, Male, Healthcare Information Technology
7 Years work exp (5 years in a US based Healthcare Information Tech major)
Youngest team leader. Developing research oriented project. Built the team from scratch. 3 clients signed up to buy the product after looking at the prototype.

Good recommendation letters.

Extra-curricular - Designed part of project proposal for a World Bank funded project in Healthcare Systems.
Initiated and led various social collaboration activities at work.

Bachelor of Engineering - Biomedical Engineering (Low scores in first 2 years. Scores improved in last 2 years. I had terrible asthma attacks)
Masters of Science, Major in Medical Software (Very good scores)
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 00:00
Hello to everyone! :)

I am new to this forum, and I have a question about application form.
Recommendation letters in particular. One of my LOR will be originally not in english, and so as I understood I have to translate it into English and then sumbit by mail, not electronically. The form should be in "Downloadable forms" section. But there is only form of transcript there. Where should I take the form from? Or it will come to the email address of a LOR provider?

Perhaps someone had the same problem.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 23:36
Anyone have any info on the real estate program?
Does the program have courses in international real estate?
Is it recommended that you have prior RE work ex?
How is RE recruiting out of CBS, especially with regard to Development?
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 2

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 10:13
When is the deadline for the early decision of Columbia?

Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 6

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 12:26
ED application will be up in mid august,
check out www.gsb.columbia.edu/
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 10:26
Applications are available for Fall 2011 entry.

Columbia focuses more on finance, right? Harvard is more consulting, and Stanford is more management-focused?
Manager
Manager
Schools: IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2010, 05:49
Went to a small liberal arts school in iowa, graduated with a cgpa 2.7/2.8 double major business and political scieneces. Relatively active in extra curriculars, RA, political science club, international club, fraternity, tutor for political science and micro/macro 1. 80 % scholarship and worked three jobs on campus. Pretty much everywhere from the cafteria, alumni office, janitorial staff, library
Have approx four and a half years of cross border banking experience, 2 and a half in retail banking ( consumer risk, product management ( asset product- secured and unsecured ), sales in Pakistan and then moved to Dubai for Corporate Banking- trade finance covering the regional markets of Middle East and North Africa.
Contributed over the years for humanity i.e citizens foundation
Just gave my gmat, got a 580.
First Choice and primary choice is Columbia
Any advice, recommendations, suggestions ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 11:54
Hi djhouse81,

Did S&T start to look better at CBS?

Do you know if there's any chance of getting the T part in S&T, or are all the positions generally S-only?

Hope you and the rest of the CBS class are doing well.
Re: Columbia Business School   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2010, 11:54