Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia Business School

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 05:58
If you have any Columbia-related questions, please feel free to post them here. Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 18:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
maverick2011 wrote:
djhouse81,

Congrats on the CBS admit! I plan to visit Columbia/NYU early next fall but will continue researching schools throughout the summer. One quick question: Columbia students have a reputation for being very competitive. Do you think this is a fair description, or would you say they are very collaborative and willing to help each other out? Thanks.


Good question. Of course, I have not attended as a student yet, so I can only speak to my experiences, and, so far, I have not seen competitive attitudes that are over the edge. In fact, during the Open House in February, I was the one being fairly competitive with my mock negotiations partner, and I don't consider myself overly competitive at all.

I think Columbia gets that reputation because it is known to be such a finance school, and people in finance are stereotyped as having ultra-competitive streaks. Did you know that '08'ers have landed 50-60 positions at McKinsey? That's a lot of consultants! Also, at Open House, they really pushed their entrepreneurship program, and that says a lot about Columbia's initiatives in that sector.

At Columbia, you are going to have just as many clubs, group projects, and first-year sections, called Clusters, as at other schools; so, Columbia facilitates team-oriented activities without a doubt.

I think it's less of a question about whether Columbia is collaborative enough, but more so how is it collaborative. If you want to travel for team projects, then maybe Ross' MAP is for you. However, if you want to enjoy experience New York City!!! with your classmates, then Columbia is definitely for you. Columbia is definitely collaborative (and not more competitive than any other b-school), and interacting with the school before you and apply will determine whether it fits your collaborative style.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 04:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
redbeanaddict wrote:
Hi DJHouse:
Columbia is my first choice. I've always dreamt of going to this school.
Anyway, Would you have any idea on what the admissions council are particularly looking for in a candidate?



I would say the admissions council is looking for 3 main things (not necessarily in this order):

1) WHY COLUMBIA - CBS Admissions wants to know that you want to go o Columbia for substantial reasons, such as NYC, finance, value-investing, the Columbia culture, and other aspects that Columbia--specifically Columbia--has to offer. An example of how not to illustrate this to adcoms is to write about only NYC, finance, and being close to Wall Street; their response will be, "Well, then, why not NYU?"

2) Well-rounded individuals - Columbia admissions, like other schools' admissions, wants students who are going to add value to the class. They don't want a class full of bankers who volunteer for the United Way. They want a variety of professions and experiences, so that each piece of experience will add something unique to the class.

3) Exemplary stats - CBS Admissions wants students who have good GMAT scores and GPA's from good schools. These stats are fairly important when predicting students' aptitude in business school. The exemplary stats category can be loosely defined based on an applicant's other qualities, but stats are still a big part of it...as with all top schools.

redbeanaddict wrote:
And which concentration does the school play best? (Eg. Harvard-General Management, Kellogg- Marketing, Wharton- Finance, Stanford- Public Service etc.etc)
Thanks


Columbia is renowned for finance. However, and I say this everytime, you can go to Columbia and write your ticket in any field that you choose. They send 50+ students to McKinsey every year, and their entrepreneurship focus is one of the best and continuously growing.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 05:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
agold wrote:
djhouse81,

Can you please tell us about how recruiting is going at CBS this year? How is investment banking, consulting, investment management, etc. going? Are you seeing a lot of people who wanted investment banking switching over to consulting? Are you seeing the presence of a lot of boutique firms on campus?



Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, agold. I've been decompressing during the break and now I am back at it prepping for IB interviews.

Recruiting is going very well this year. I am in the thick of it. I am prepping right now for i-banking interviews, and it is exhausting. Betweem technicals, fit, and why investment banking, there is a lot to cover.

Investment banks have cut down some of their closed lists, but there's no dearth of firms on campus except the ones you'd expect (i.e. Bear, BofA, Wachovia). All of the other big ones are still there, plus several boutiques. Apparently the number of those recruiting for i-banking has been cut in half because of the economy, which is great for those of us still going after IB. I think the difference moved over to consulting because there is a lot of recruits for that space. For consulting, the big firms and boutiques are all there, and they do not seem to be scaling back. It's hard to say, however, when job offers have not been given out yet. I will be able to tell you a lot more after next week. HOPEFULLY WITH SOME GOOD NEWS FOR ME!!!

The area that has been cut back the most is S&T for obvious reasons. If you got a handful of S&T interview invites this year you are a rockstar.

IM recruiters have been on campus en force, but it is very competitive for those jobs regardless of the economy. I think a lot more factors determine your success in that area than others. IB and consulting are more career switcher friendly, and they also play the recruiting game more. IM does not care about the recruiting game as much, and if you have CFA on your resume and great long/short stock pitches you are money. This is not hard and fast, but keep it in mind.

In the end, at Columbia recruiting is strong. We compete with H/W, and it helps to be in NY because you make a trip down to the firm's office to meet with them at a moments notice. The recruiting season adds about 1.5 classes to your schedule, which impinges upon your sleep if you intend on getting good grades at the same time. Just give it your all, never rest on your laurels, and keep in mind that there are thousands of people who would kill to be in your shoes sitting in front of GS or JPM. If you keep that in mind it acts as great fuel to push you through a grueling recruiting season, and in the end it will all be worth it because you'll have a job lined up!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 14:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
smokedpotatoes wrote:
Djhouse,
Thanks for the info thats good to know about the GMAT score and IM/IB. I've just applied to Coloumbia for 2009 admissions. Do you know how much weight the Columbia adcoms give to the CFA? I took and passed levels I (Dec 07) & II (June 08) this past year and am taking level III this June (fingers crossed). As a resut of: CFA study, work, gmat study & bschool essays I've had to put the rest of my life on hold this past year (read no extracurrulars over this last year).


I don't have a firm answer on this, but I could speculate. Adcoms know that IM loves CFA's, so from the business side of running a bschool it makes you more attractive to recruiters and therefore more attractive to the school. I also think adcoms know the prestige of a CFA, so that makes you attractive as an overall candidate. Does it replace a good background, GMAT score, and GPA? No. I think it just gives the adcoms a little more confirmation that you are a strong applicant, and another indisputable reason to admit you.

By the way, CFA candidates who have passed even level I have so on there resume. If you can pass III before school, that will really set you apart from other students recruiting from IM and the like. Go get 'em!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2009, 16:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
jwizard wrote:
Djhouse81,

For the stock pitch - are IM and S&T guys looking for a 90-second sum up of the industry outlook, company, and attractive metrics (low p/e ratio, low debt, great growth) OR 10-15 minute in-depth analysis? Is it correct to assume that it's more about your reasoning (how you came to the conclusion) than the stock itself?

Also, do IMs and HFs follow the same recruitment time line as, say, bulge bracket firms? On a few other boards, I read that their recruitment process kicks off later in the year (after IB, S&T and MC offers have been made) and that students have to take initiative to land interviews/gigs at these firms.

Thanks for these wonderful insights - hope your interviews are going well!



The stock pitch that they are looking for could be the entire interview. Most people have prepared a few long/short, so they are prepared for any number of questions about stock picks. And, you are correct, it is more about the reasoning than the stock itself. The stock pitch process is very involved, and it can take months to familiarize yourself with the stock, the industry, and various other trends and economic factors. The people I know who are going for IM jobs know their stuff when it comes to stock pitches.

You are once again correct, IM/HF/PE recruitment is more candidate initiated. However, I think CBS gets a fair amount of on campus recruiting in these areas because it is in NY and the school attracts very good candidates for IM/HF/PE firms. However, most of the IM recruiting done on campus is with the buldge firms like Fidelity, PIMCO, DE Shaw, etc. If you want to work at other firms you will have the take the initiative. As far as timing goes, on campus recruiting is happening now with other IB and consulting on campus recruiting, but they take their time when it comes to making final decisions on offers--while IB and consulting comes to pretty swift decisions. If they do not recruit on campus, the recruiting starts deeper into second semester. The reasoning, and this applies especially to this economy, is that firms want to get closer to the summer to determine whether they need a summer intern.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 02:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
.... Since it's tough to land buy-side jobs without finance experience, do the majority of students opt for the sell-side route? I've read that BB S&T programs are more structured, and more willing to take on students who lack experience but have demonstrated a clear interest in finance. From what you can gather, would you say that this is accurate, that BBs are less fixated on experience?

Also, which desks tend to the most popular? (and any insight into why is Fixed income so popular?)

Thanks again dude!

djhouse81 wrote:

Keep the questions coming, I'm happy to help where I can. It is tough to get either interview without finance experience. Is it absolutely impossible? No. But it's a long shot. To put it in perspective, at top schools there are dozens of students with IM/HF/IB/PE backgrounds and other excellent stats on their resumes. IM and HF firms are going to want those people first, and there are not than many spots to begin with.

Your best bet if you have no finance experience is to shoot for a non-paying summer internship with a HF. There are plenty of those out there, especially in this economy. In the end, you get the experience, and that is validation enoguh for recruiters to want you for a full-time position come graduation. If unpaid does not work for you, but you still want to go after IM and HF then you need to start preparing immediately. You want to start reaching out to firms, maybe do a summer internship before you start school, read up on stock pitches, start prepping for the CFA, etc. I believe that if you want something bad enough then the effort you put forth will shine through to recruiters. They want someone on board who has unbridled enthusiasm because that translates into solid work.

To sum up, it is not impossible to get a HF/IM internship without finance, but it is rarely seen.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 20:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
aboodoing wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning a visit to Columbia this June. Does the school prefer students to visit the admissions office? I know that some schools don't track visits, but some do and weigh them in your application. Would appreciate any insights, thanks.

Regards,
Aboo


You should go on the website and look up Hermes. They offer many different ways to visit the school, such as class vists, student hosts, etc.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2009, 16:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
foodstamp wrote:
Hi djhouse. Thanks for providing a ton of great information throughout this thread!

Do you know how willing Columbia is to extend the deposit deadline? I have until March 2nd, but I'd like to extend until beginning of April. Apparently, students who get admitted after Feb 20th will be able to make a deposit until sometime in April. So I am thinking it would be reasonable for me to ask Adcom even though I was admitted before Feb 20th. What do you think?

Thanks!



I have no clue. You probably need a good reason, and I could not say what constitutues one. I don't know how they'd feel if you extend the deadline just to hear back from other schools, but I'm not in admissions so I could not speak on their behalf. Call them, and explain why you need it extended, and I'm sure they will help out as they can.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 15:53
I'm visiting Columbia in a week. I'll be doing a class visit, info session and lunch with a student. Do you have any advice or tips? How should I dress (business casual)?

FYI, Columbia is my first choice and I'm really interested in the Value Investing Program. I want to get into investment management at a value oriented equity fund after graduation. Thanks for your time!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 05:27
IHG,
You are getting started early, that's fantastic! You will save a lot of time during application season by getting your visit done now.

For your visit, business casual is appropriate. I wore slacks, a nice shirt, and a sportcoat, if that helps. When you get to class, introduce yourself to the professor and ask if he/she has any handouts for you to follow along with. During class, pay attention and don't participate unless called upon.

When you meet with a student, just enjoy the opportunity of getting to know a student and the school. Ask them questions that genuinely interest you. This will be helpful for when you write your essays.

Also, if you can, attend Columbia's info session at the end of the day. They do a world tour with these info sessions come Fall, but you should attend it in NY if it is convenient for you.

If you have any downtime, hang out in the admissions office. Usually there's someone there from the Hermes Society, which is the organization of students that represents the school to applicants, and they will answer your questions and talk with you. Who knows, Linda Meehan might even step out of her office and join the discussion!

Most of all, enjoy it! Hope this helps!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 19:32
Thanks for the tips! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions...

Have fun at CBS next year!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 10:18
Does columbia feel more like a commuter school or does everybody live in pretty much the same area?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2008, 11:13
sonibubu wrote:
Does columbia feel more like a commuter school or does everybody live in pretty much the same area?


Wherever you are, except the dorms, you still have to commute. However, most people live in the Upper West Side. Everyone spends most of their time at Columbia, so UWS offers a great place to live and a short commute.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2008
Posts: 299
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 15

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 10:12
djhouse81,

Congrats on the CBS admit! I plan to visit Columbia/NYU early next fall but will continue researching schools throughout the summer. One quick question: Columbia students have a reputation for being very competitive. Do you think this is a fair description, or would you say they are very collaborative and willing to help each other out? Thanks.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2008
Posts: 299
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 15

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 03:52
Thanks for the great response! Columbia is high on my list, and I look forward to visiting next fall.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 05:59
maverick2011 wrote:
Thanks for the great response! Columbia is high on my list, and I look forward to visiting next fall.



Great! When the time comes, pm me, and I will take you around to class and introduce you to students, faculty, and adcoms (as many as possible).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Posts: 302
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2008, 14:01
I visited Columbia on March 30th as part of host program , and attended Capital Markets class.
I will be applying in ED round for Class of 2011. I took GMAT in Jan 2008, I have been busy crafting essays. Would you be willing to review rev0 of my essays.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2008, 15:03
Damager wrote:
I visited Columbia on March 30th as part of host program , and attended Capital Markets class.
I will be applying in ED round for Class of 2011. I took GMAT in Jan 2008, I have been busy crafting essays. Would you be willing to review rev0 of my essays.


PM me.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 83
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 19:24
Hi,

Could you comment briefly on student interactions based on your campus visit. How does the professor generally interact with students?

Thank you,

-M
Re: Columbia Business School   [#permalink] 07 May 2008, 19:24
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Columbia Business School Videos souvik101990 0 23 Feb 2013, 11:08
Experts publish their posts in the topic Columbia Business School navy01 1 09 May 2008, 04:42
Columbia Business School todolist 7 12 Nov 2007, 18:31
Columbia business school jainan24 1 22 Dec 2006, 13:22
Columbia Business School - Interview flowers24 4 19 Oct 2006, 16:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Columbia Business School

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 102 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.