Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:18

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!! [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 21:36
Hi,

I recently attended the Columbia Info session held in Mumbai. Before I begin, I would like to clarify that these are just my thoughts & my experience.
It NEED NOT BE TRUE.

It was an informative session, but I felt a certain amount of Coldness from the ad-com member & the alumni who had gathered. (infact from each & every columbia representative)
There was this another lady who passed out of columbia in 1997, when I asked her about her expeirnece & some relevant questions, she asked me my age.

I said 24..........& her immediate response was do not apply & she was very strongly opinionated about it. I tried to reason, give her justification but she was just not ready to listen. And these are the very alumini who will be interviweing ppl like us off-campus. If I get such a person...I'm royally screwed!!

I understand that 2-3 years of exp is limited but if one is clear on what he wants to do, he is mentally prepared, has a good business exposure (rather than monotonously working in the same position for 5 years) why should he be barred from gaining education early on.

I'm sure my experience is probably not representative, but man....1st impression really matters!!

Maybe she's right. I dunno. What I know is Columbia is not my type.

PS: Pls do not make/break your decison based on my experience, I just wanted to share.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 02:47
I understand your thought process. I agree the Columbia alum could have given you more time to you. But, thats the nature of these MBA Fairs. You don't get much time to discuss your case in detail. But, I agree with her. It is very difficult to get in with such low experience at Columbia, unless you had amazing last 2 years. Why do you want to waste your time and effort when the probability of getting there is extremely miniscule?

Columbia is a great school. Don't form a wrong opinion with one incident. Speak to few more students and alumni of Columbia and other target schools before you start applying. It will help you understand better. Good luck!

www.InterviewBay.com
- Get Ready For the Interview
Mock Interviews By Current Students and Alumni
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 06:50
Though I can certainly see an impatient representative in your case, I also see a 24-year-old who can't really handle criticisms or different perspectives properly. Perhaps she was right about you not really ready for B-school yet.
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 07:29
MYCambridge wrote:
Though I can certainly see an impatient representative in your case, I also see a 24-year-old who can't really handle criticisms or different perspectives properly. Perhaps she was right about you not really ready for B-school yet.

I just shared my exp. I do not need to justify to anyone & there is no need for you to be judgemental. And I simply cant figure out in what way being a 24 yr old implies criticism. I hope you can shed some light on that.
If ppl like her ( & you) are there to decide then & there whether ppl are ready for thier MBA, there clearly will be no need for the entire application process.

I cant understand diffnt perpectives properly which is why MBA an will help me, but so cant you.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 08:00
bbharuka wrote:
MYCambridge wrote:

I just shared my exp. I do not need to justify to anyone & there is no need for you to be judgemental. And I simply cant figure out in what way being a 24 yr old implies criticism. I hope you can shed some light on that.
If ppl like her ( & you) are there to decide then & there whether ppl are ready for thier MBA, there clearly will be no need for the entire application process.

I cant understand diffnt perpectives properly which is why MBA an will help me, but so cant you.

This is the internet, never take this type of criticism here seriously.
If you feel you're ready for B-School, then go for it. The reason MBA programs send reps to these fairs and events is simply for the marketing opportunity.

Last edited by highwyre237 on 02 Aug 2012, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 08:13
bbharuka wrote:
MYCambridge wrote:

This again proves my point. Enough said.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 08:44
MYCambridge wrote:
bbharuka wrote:
MYCambridge wrote:

This again proves my point. Enough said.

honestly.... age alone will never determine if someone is ready for this process... There are many factors that feed into it. If, as this person said, the Columbia Rep claimed they were not ready based soley on their age... well then they were wrong. The age range of their last incoming class was 23-37 (avg 28). Considering this person is currently 24, they will be 25 at matriculation, I would consider them youger, but not automatically too young. Maybe there were other determining factors during their conversation that caused the rep to question their readiness, but we aren't aware of that.
The only thing we can gather from this is: Someone who has (or thinks they have) a clear vision of what they want to do in their career, and will be 25 at matriculation, wants an MBA. Sure, they may take criticism on the internet a bit too seriously, but Lets not jump to conclusions and assume we know how successful they'll be...
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 08:57
Wow.....you guys have seriously made a case-study of a small issue!!

@haywire: do agree with your analysis....that age alone should not be a deciding factor.
Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 10:09
highwyre237 wrote:

honestly.... age alone will never determine if someone is ready for this process... There are many factors that feed into it. If, as this person said, the Columbia Rep claimed they were not ready based soley on their age... well then they were wrong. The age range of their last incoming class was 23-37 (avg 28). Considering this person is currently 24, they will be 25 at matriculation, I would consider them youger, but not automatically too young. Maybe there were other determining factors during their conversation that caused the rep to question their readiness, but we aren't aware of that.
The only thing we can gather from this is: Someone who has (or thinks they have) a clear vision of what they want to do in their career, and will be 25 at matriculation, wants an MBA. Sure, they may take criticism on the internet a bit too seriously, but Lets not jump to conclusions and assume we know how successful they'll be...

I believe you misunderstood me. I was simply referring to the fact that the OP does not seem to be able to handle opinions that might be different from his, and like you said, he might take criticism too seriously.

I agree with everything you said about age and readiness.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: semiconductors

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 18:31
MYCambridge wrote:

What in OP post made you pass such strong judgment? He acknowledged more than once in this post that he was only sharing an experience.
Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 20:17
firsttimer2 wrote:
MYCambridge wrote:

What in OP post made you pass such strong judgment? He acknowledged more than once in this post that he was only sharing an experience.

Sorry, I might have overreacted a little. Everything's cool now.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.98
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Re: Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!! [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 02:08
Hmmm, lets see. There are two 24 year old guys-

1. One goes to an info session. Is told by a very opinionated alumunus that he's too young to apply. Gets all worked up (Hell, here I was thinking I'm ready to rock Columbia, and this old guy challenges my worldview, just because he happens to have studied there a century back?). Comes back and rants about the experience on popular message boards, still thinking that alumnus is a douchebag. Also dismisses similar opinions on the same message board.

2. The second goes to the same info session. Is told by the same opinionated alumunus that he too is young to apply. Thanks him for bringing in a fresh perspective and considers his point. Talks to others on the matter (adcom members, current students, other alumni). Eventually decides that MBA does make sense for him at this stage of his career and applies to his chosen programs.

If I were an adcom member and were to chose one of the two guys, guess I wouldn't really have a choice, would I?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!! [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 12:31
Thank you for sharing. Your thoughts and experience ARE true and it all matters. Thanks!
Re: Columbia Info Session exp-----BAD!!   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2012, 12:31