Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 19:20
ireallyneedsleep wrote:
lady1310 wrote:
I was just accepted to the J-term program this week, but I've applied to a couple other programs that start next fall and the notification date for those isn't until December. Does anyone know when you have to commit to J-term program? I'm ecstatic to be admitted to CBS - just wondering if I will be able to hear from other schools at all.

I think the commitment is 2k now and 1k by Nov 15, so total of 3k. I think its a good bet to just pay the deposits, start the process and still wait to hear from other schools and make a final choice later. In the long run, the 3k will be <3% of your total cost and will be more than made up by the extra months you work before going to Chicago/Kellogg.

I'm in a similar boat, so playing it safe by covering my bets.

Ahh. I'm also waiting to hear back from Kellogg, but CBS was my first choice so I'm going to go with it. What are your first choices?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 21:10
Calvinbabushca wrote:
ireallyneedsleep wrote:
lady1310 wrote:
I was just accepted to the J-term program this week, but I've applied to a couple other programs that start next fall and the notification date for those isn't until December. Does anyone know when you have to commit to J-term program? I'm ecstatic to be admitted to CBS - just wondering if I will be able to hear from other schools at all.

I think the commitment is 2k now and 1k by Nov 15, so total of 3k. I think its a good bet to just pay the deposits, start the process and still wait to hear from other schools and make a final choice later. In the long run, the 3k will be <3% of your total cost and will be more than made up by the extra months you work before going to Chicago/Kellogg.

Ahh. I'm also waiting to hear back from Kellogg, but CBS was my first choice so I'm going to go with it. What are your first choices?

INSEAD. Applying only to 1 year courses so its one or the other. Very drawn to CBS for NY, Finance, etc. but want to work in Asia long term so hesitant.
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 11:32
Just got the email that I am waitlisted after the interview. So frustrated.

Hope those who are still waiting get good news.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 12:00
To all the waitlisted applicants, what other schools have you guys/gals applied to?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 12:14
ireallyneedsleep wrote:
lady1310 wrote:

In the exact same position, just pay it like I did and keep your options flexible! Will know your fate (just like me) by mid-Dec!
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 12:30
gmatrockah wrote:
To all the waitlisted applicants, what other schools have you guys/gals applied to?

This is the only program I applied to.
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 12:40
materialsdude wrote:
Hi guys. New to the forum. Also just got waitlisted for J-term. But apparently will have a phone conversation on friday with admissions. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hi materialsdude,

I am in the same situation with you. Did you call the adcom directly or you are invited to have a talk with them?
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 14:25
Waitlisters, would you mind sharing your stats?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton '16
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 15:09
Does any one get acceptance call today?? It is amazing no one in this forum get acceptance for these few busuiness days.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 15:12
falconer71 wrote:
ireallyneedsleep wrote:
lady1310 wrote:

In the exact same position, just pay it like I did and keep your options flexible! Will know your fate (just like me) by mid-Dec!

In the same position as well... The only thing I'm not sure about is student loans - as the deadline is 11/1 (or 3 weeks after acceptance), this is well ahead of when I would hear from other schools (none of which would start until next fall...) I assume you all are going to go ahead and apply for student loans now as well?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 18:15
falconer71 wrote:
ireallyneedsleep wrote:
lady1310 wrote:

Glad to know I'm not the only one! Are you giving notice at your current job now or waiting? My plan was to give notice and put everything in motion for Columbia J-term.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 18:21
In the same position as well... The only thing I'm not sure about is student loans - as the deadline is 11/1 (or 3 weeks after acceptance), this is well ahead of when I would hear from other schools (none of which would start until next fall...) I assume you all are going to go ahead and apply for student loans now as well?[/quote][/quote]

Actually, I was stressing about this today. I was too overwhelmed with the process to start today, but I was going to go ahead and apply for the loans. Were you able to log in to the Accepted Students website? My password wouldn't log in.
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 09:08
Anyone applied and not heard back anything yet? Seems most decisions have been made. Pretty frustrated with the waitlist but not much I can do!
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 09:26
annalisegasp1 wrote:
Anyone applied and not heard back anything yet? Seems most decisions have been made. Pretty frustrated with the waitlist but not much I can do!

I've done interview and not heard back anything yet. Wait patiently...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 08:40
I applied on 9/25(rec letter by 10/3) for J-Term and got dinged on 11/6. I have a family business background and I have less than two years of work experience. If CBS have a rolling admissions process, then why did they take more than 4 weeks to give me a rejection letter. Some candidates who applied on 10/2 have already got interviewed or selected or rejected. Did they have second thoughts on me or something else? Can anyone give me their opinions on this?
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 14:00
I got a wait list. Really frustrated !!
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 15:03
Hi all, anybody get off the waitlist recently?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 09:28
Is anyone out there going to be foregoing their acceptance to CBS '15 for another program? Would be interested to hear how others are planning to deliver the news...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 08:20
IvyTexan wrote:
Is anyone out there going to be foregoing their acceptance to CBS '15 for another program? Would be interested to hear how others are planning to deliver the news...

This happened to me last year, applied late and got into Anderson with $$$$. Paid first deposit (had about 5 days to decide) but then decided I wanted to take another shot at CBS/Wharton/Yale etc. I arranged a call with Anderson adcom mentioning my situation (fiancee locked down on the east coast, just got a new lease on an apartment, etc.). Said they were sorry to see me go but encouraged me to apply again. No hard feelings. Never got that deposit back though :x

Gotten into a couple others this year as well. As for CBS, after $3K in deposits and knowing I'll get the degree a year sooner I'll probably just plow forward at this point. I mean to me getting a top 7 MBA in 2015 vs. a top 4 MBA in 2016 is a bit of a wash, but to each their own.

Best of luck to you regardless of what you decide! In a good spot to be in!
Re: Columbia: J-Term Calling all applicants: Class of 2016!   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2013, 08:20