Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Columbia J-term or Insead J term?? [#permalink]
deschoup wrote:
Consulting : insead
Europe : insead
Fun : insead

My reasons against the above:
1. INSEAD's consulting numbers are a bit misleading as many of those 'placed' are returning to their employer, similar to the case here. Columbia places a very high number in consulting, and is immensely strong in Fin Serv - which was the aim
2. INSEADs program is spread between Singapore and France, and hence Europe=Insead probably isnt as good as it sounds. Plus you can always do an exchange in Europe via cColumbia if you so desire. And although you can do the same at INSEAD, the 6 months less at INSEAD dont give you enough time to do everything
3. Fun - its what you make of it :) NYC is probably the funnest city there is in the world, and the US aint bad itself.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hi, akinakbiyik. I am wondering what's your gmat and gpa in order to get offers from columbia and INSEAD. I have second low gpa, average gmat score and 1 year working experience before graduation of college.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
keepitupppp wrote:
hi, akinakbiyik. I am wondering what's your gmat and gpa in order to get offers from columbia and INSEAD. I have second low gpa, average gmat score and 1 year working experience before graduation of college.

3.6 , 720, 2.5 years working experience in consulting...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
well..... then do you think i have competitive enough to get an offer.
gpa 2.8 (i know it is not satisfactory so i am goin to work extra hard on it)
gmat 650
working experience 1 year in between year 2 and final year of college
Intern
Intern
Send PM
keepitupppp wrote:
well..... then do you think i have competitive enough to get an offer.
gpa 2.8 (i know it is not satisfactory so i am goin to work extra hard on it)
gmat 650
working experience 1 year in between year 2 and final year of college

Well, you can not change your GPA so you can close that gap somewhere else... Both CBS and Insead are very competitive schools so If I were you I try to get a solid GMAT score (above 700) and not rush in terms of timing.. Average work experience in INSEAD 4-5 years for example even I am going early with 2.5 years.. So you should have at least 2-3 years full time we... MBA is a huge investment so its not worth to rush on it...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i understand i should not rush to have a mba. but i have some reason to have one in recent years. so, any college recommendations from you that require lower gpa and gmat? would penn stat u be a good choice? or boston u?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
keepitupppp wrote:
i understand i should not rush to have a mba. but i have some reason to have one in recent years. so, any college recommendations from you that require lower gpa and gmat? would penn stat u be a good choice? or boston u?

I am not sure.. But you can look at MBA ranking stats so you can figure it out avg. gmat and gpas for MBA programs... Of course you may have reasons but my personal view as candidate and professional view as a management consultant getting a MBA from top business schools can change your life and future easily but just having a degree from an ordinary university, you have to try 10 times harder to get chances that other guys have...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
got what you mean. thanks a lot. btw, if not a mba, if just an ordinary, msc finance or financial mathematics or financial engineering or stuff like that, which tier or which group of uni should i target at?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
keepitupppp wrote:
got what you mean. thanks a lot. btw, if not a mba, if just an ordinary, msc finance or financial mathematics or financial engineering or stuff like that, which tier or which group of uni should i target at?

Though this is a bit off topic, but I would say UIUC MSF is a good program in the States and suits you well. There aren't much MSF (or eqv) out in the US market, Princeton and MIT are leaders, Haas has a good MFE, UIUC should come not too far away.

UK and European Finance Masters are very stringent on UG requirement (i.e. below 2:1 (GPA 3.2) usually means no chance).

Hope this helps :)

Originally posted by kingenzo on 04 Oct 2012, 01:49.
Last edited by kingenzo on 04 Oct 2012, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks for your advice. but i am wondering if u know any case like me who can climb to 2:1 and get an offer afterwards.
also, should i apply those uni after my release of my first semester gpa this year( which may be a bit higher than 3) or just apply now and see if i can have conditional offer?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
keepitupppp wrote:
thanks for your advice. but i am wondering if u know any case like me who can climb to 2:1 and get an offer afterwards.
also, should i apply those uni after my release of my first semester gpa this year( which may be a bit higher than 3) or just apply now and see if i can have conditional offer?

If you really can reach 2.1 you defintely have a shot. UK and Europe schools should love US students as they are significantly underrepresented (I got like 1-2 US classmates from my MSc Finance class, out of over 100). Try Warwick/Imperial/Cass/HEC Paris/Bocconi MSc Finance, but really not sure the career prospect outside London (London is quite dead at the moment too), if career not an issue then I would say all of them are great schools. UCL Msc Management also worth a look into.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
just worrying if
case 1:
i apply right now with 2:2 and got ding-ed right away
case 2:
i apply after i got my good gpa of this sem after the release of result in Jan and then apply. i receive conditional offer

am i over-worried or...... idk
Intern
Intern
Send PM
keepitupppp wrote:
just worrying if
case 1:
i apply right now with 2:2 and got ding-ed right away
case 2:
i apply after i got my good gpa of this sem after the release of result in Jan and then apply. i receive conditional offer

am i over-worried or...... idk

both oucomes really possible. I say for some picky schools (e.g. Warwick/Imperial/HEC) more chances for case 1. For less selective schools (Cass particularly), Case 2 more likely. But its almost costless to apply (maybe a few hundred bucks for app fees), so i would say go ahead for all schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
my target unis are of 100-150pounds per application.... so.... u know
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot