Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia J-Term vs MIT Sloan for Consulting in NYC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Columbia J-Term vs MIT Sloan for Consulting in NYC [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 06:00
My goal is to return to management consulting post-MBA and stay in NYC. I just got accepted to CBS J-Term. For the sake of this argument, please assume I get admitted to Sloan as well, all else equal.

1) Which school would you pick if you were in my position?

2) Also, is there another school you would pick over CBS considering my goals (MC in NYC), besides HBS?

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Columbia J-Term vs MIT Sloan for Consulting in NYC [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 06:43
Comes down to you man... any M7 + Tuck will get you an interview with the right credentials with m/b/b. Most people at CBS aren't aiming consulting based on the placement so while % may be a bit lower than MIT... you're also competing with fewer people interested in consulting. Whatever is best fit... is where I would head. I know you got admit to j-term... difference will come down to a year also. J-Term would get you out in 2013 versus anywhere else you're looking at 2014 now for normal enrollment barring a 1 year program like insead. If you're willing to relocate to france or singapore (they have seats at wharton also I think?)... why not consider INSEAD if you plan to come from, and return to consulting? 1-year and top recruitment

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia J-Term vs MIT Sloan for Consulting in NYC [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 07:18
losttraveler wrote:
Comes down to you man... any M7 + Tuck will get you an interview with the right credentials with m/b/b. Most people at CBS aren't aiming consulting based on the placement so while % may be a bit lower than MIT... you're also competing with fewer people interested in consulting. Whatever is best fit... is where I would head. I know you got admit to j-term... difference will come down to a year also. J-Term would get you out in 2013 versus anywhere else you're looking at 2014 now for normal enrollment barring a 1 year program like insead. If you're willing to relocate to france or singapore (they have seats at wharton also I think?)... why not consider INSEAD if you plan to come from, and return to consulting? 1-year and top recruitment

Thanks. Interesting perspective. The reason I did not consider INSEAD is that I already got my 1yr European program experience (M.Sc. Finance @ London School of Economics) and want to diversify. Also, INSEAD doesn't seem to place too many people in the US in general (~8%, including sponsored students) and I'd really like to continue over-paying for NYC's under-sized rental apartments :).

Two facts I found interesting:
#1 According to Vault, the only school that places more students in consulting in NYC than CBS is HBS.
#2 Despite its overall reputation of a tech/VC school, MIT places very well in consulting. However, it seems to place less people (but maybe a higher %?) than CBS in consulting in NYC and nationally.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Columbia J-Term vs MIT Sloan for Consulting in NYC [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 08:40
Sloan and Tuck are both small feeder schools for M/B/B. For NYC, CBS probably edges but in Boston we already know the answer. The difficult thing with MIT placing in NYC for M/B/B is because of the sheer number of people they recruit from CBS and HBS in terms of absolute headcount. If they take a huge chunk from HBS based on overall prestige then layer down to CBS based on regional availability... not much left for others. Same goes for CBS heading into Boston I would imagine.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

Re: Columbia J-Term vs MIT Sloan for Consulting in NYC [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 16:08
Have you looked at the employment reports from those two schools?

These documents are what guided me to schools I'm applying to (as you know, my post MBA goals are consulting/entrepreneurship). They might provide you with some facts to base your decision on. Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with either school. Both offer superb consulting opportunities, many of which are in NYC.

MIT: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/pdf/fullreport10_11.pdf

CBS: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/business/car ... Report.pdf

CBS put 26% of it's 2010 grads in consulting with MIT at 28%. Top consulting employers were similar at both schools (M/B/B), and both had more than 90% of its grads employed within 3 months of graduation.

So just as an outsider, it looks like the only big difference between your two choices are 1) location and 2) length of program.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia J-Term vs MIT Sloan for Consulting in NYC [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 15:47
Again, I'd like to see those numbers broken down by region. Sure, Columbia's 26% is lower than Sloan's 28%, but how much of that 28% is actually in New York? I'd imagine that a higher % of CBS ends up in M/B/B NYO consulting than MIT.

My blog: http://www.theapplicationist.blogspot.com/
My application status: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595.html#p983273

Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia J-Term vs MIT Sloan for Consulting in NYC [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 20:12
hello212 wrote:
Again, I'd like to see those numbers broken down by region. Sure, Columbia's 26% is lower than Sloan's 28%, but how much of that 28% is actually in New York? I'd imagine that a higher % of CBS ends up in M/B/B NYO consulting than MIT.

I can't find a CBS break-down but according to the link above ~11% of all Sloan students come to the NY metro area. Even if they all happened to be consulting folks, which is obviously doubtful, my guess would be that CBS placed a higher % and absolute number of students in NYC this past year. I haven't seen too many employment reports from past years, so I don't know if this is representative.
Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia J-Term vs MIT Sloan for Consulting in NYC [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 20:42
OK, here are some quick statistics I pulled out of employment reports. Note consulting relates to industry, not function. There IS overlap between the two % categories. Apparently, schools are placing a decreasing % of students in NYC over the past four years. I wonder why :)

CBS 07/08 08/09 09/10 10/11
% in MC 21.1 22.2 25.0 20.1
% in NYC ? ? ? ?

MIT 07/08 08/09 09/10 10/11
% in MC 37.2 30.4 33.2 28.2
% in NYC 23.2 19.6 16.6 10.9

Kellogg 07/08 08/09 09/10 10/11
% in MC 31.0 33.0 38.0 31.0
% in NYC 15.0 15.0 9.0 12.0

Wharton 07/08 08/09 09/10 10/11
% in MC 27.4 26.6 26.6 29.1
% in NYC 34.9 32.1 29.6 ?
Attachments

Employment Statistics.xls [19 KiB]
Downloaded 25 times

To download please login or register as a user

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

Re: Columbia J-Term vs MIT Sloan for Consulting in NYC [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 05:04
raptr wrote:
OK, here are some quick statistics I pulled out of employment reports. Note consulting relates to industry, not function. There IS overlap between the two % categories. Apparently, schools are placing a decreasing % of students in NYC over the past four years. I wonder why :)

Very interesting. There must be a rise in another city (or cities) to offset the decrease in NYC placements.

Re: Columbia J-Term vs MIT Sloan for Consulting in NYC   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2011, 05:04