Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 07:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 08:52
I realize Wharton is ranked a bit higher generally than Columbia and the facilities are not even comparable, but for someone looking at returning to investment management post-MBA, how much of a difference is there in these schools? I don't want to let the $ be a factor, but $120k is not immaterial (even more considering fellowships are essentially post-tax income). I am pretty set on Columbia given my interest in the value investing program, but would like to see if anyone can make a case on why to choose Wharton.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 305 [1] , given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 09:35
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats! Not going to make a case for Wharton, here. Getting a full-ride to Columbia is quite the achievement. Recruiting at CBS is already good, and being able to slap a full-tuition fellowship on your resume is just going to help you stand out more, especially given CBS's notorious rep as being the stingiest school when it comes to fellowships.

Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2172

Kudos [?]: 7715 [0], given: 3628

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 10:26
Expert's post
Based on rankings and data reporting about salary/etc, I see absolutely minimal difference in these two schools and CBS with Full Scholarship is by far the better value. That's purely on numbers. Now, if you can find that you will be in PHL rather than NYC or other reasons why Wharton is a better choice, then the picture will change but if your probability of working in NYC vs PHL is the same (probably plenty of both CBS and Wharton grads all over east coast) and nothing else jumps out, it is a pretty easy choice.
See below.....

#3 University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
Philadelphia, PA
$57,026 per year (full-time) 1,685 718 3.60 20.0% $138,302 79.7%

#8 Columbia University
New York, NY
$58,384 per year (full-time) 1,274 715 3.50 20.8% $134,868 77.0%

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 12:21
This post received
KUDOS
I'm not going to make the case for Wharton, either. I would absolutely take the money at CBS, and even more so given that you're particularly interested in CBS's Value Investing Program.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 14:23
tashy001 wrote:
I realize Wharton is ranked a bit higher generally than Columbia and the facilities are not even comparable, but for someone looking at returning to investment management post-MBA, how much of a difference is there in these schools? I don't want to let the $ be a factor, but $120k is not immaterial (even more considering fellowships are essentially post-tax income). I am pretty set on Columbia given my interest in the value investing program, but would like to see if anyone can make a case on why to choose Wharton.

cbs is the easy choice. i have a friend interested in i.m. at wharton who wishes he'd gone to cbs. terrific job and congrats! enjoy the full-ride
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 22:18
Take the money and RUN! No case for Wharton here.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 22:23
tashy001 wrote:

congrats! $120k is a lot of money and given your interest in IM, CBS seems like the easy choice! the Value Investing Program seems to be on a class of its own, though the downside is that admission to the program isn't guaranteed. but given that you already have prior experience in the field, you will probably do just fine. i'll take the money and enjoy CBS & NYC!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.47
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 13:43
This post received
KUDOS
I have to choose between CBS and Wharton as well, though with no fellowships to either and I think it's a hard choice and am leaning toward CBS!

I'm interested in value investing as well. My understanding is that though the program is competitive, you can get almost all of the value even if you're not admitted to it. You can still take many of the classes and all the other programs are available to you. A lot of the value isn't in just the classes, but the mentorship, lectures, etc. that you can still have access to. Plus you'll still have the same network.

If CBS was offering me a full ride, it'd be a no brainer for me.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Real Estate
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 14

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 15:36
I find this whole thing very deja vu, since I had to deal with a similar situation a few months back. Granted, I didn't get a full ride from CBS, but full tuition for the first year only, while Wharton gave me nothing. I spent over a month talking to professors, alums, current students, and people from my potential industry in order to make sure that I made the right choice for me.

In the end, I chose Wharton for two reasons - one, I ended up receiving a fellowship about a week before the decision was due (not as much as CBS gave me but still substantial); and two, the Admit Weekends were vastly different experiences. There's always a lot of talk about "fit," and Wharton really felt right to me - I felt much more at home with my potential classmates and current students at Wharton than I did at CBS. I don't know if I could really put my finger on the exact reasons, but it was a gut instinct, I guess. In terms of the post-MBA path, my impressions of Wharton real estate and what it had to offer over Columbia real estate were also stronger.

That said, financial matters are important, though I can't count the times when the words "rounding error" came up at both Admit Weekends when alums talked about their debt. Think about it based on your post-MBA field of choice - obviously, taking the plunge with debt could very well limit your flexibility in school in what you choose to pursue. But it's also important to think about your potential classmates, who will be a huge part of your network for the rest of your life.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about why I made my choice. I'd be happy to chat.
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 636 [0], given: 116

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 00:45
I guess if there had been a poll it would have read CBS - 100%, Wharton - 0%. A full ride at CBS is too big to ignore Plus would look great on your resume when the recruiters come knocking..

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 07:10
I love these dilemmas - this one falls into the category of "I cannot believe the good fortune; just toss a coin". Columbia! To say $120K is not immaterial is an understatement...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q V0
GPA: 3.55
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
It sounds like you've already decided based on your original post, but here's what I did when choosing between Wharton (with $$) and Kellogg (with none)

Imagine that Wharton gave you an amount twice that of what Columbia gave you. Would you go there? If so, the money is making the decision. If you still wouldn't go to Wharton, then your heartstrings are telling you Columbia. Follow them. You'll do much better at the school that's a better fit for you.

Flip a coin. Heads, Columbia, tails, Wharton. If it comes up tails and you try to re-flip or think it's wrong, then you've made your decision - Columbia. If you look at the coin flip as some sort of divine intervention telling you that Wharton's right, then go there. (Nerd alert: I did this, but instead of a coin, I used an Excel model with a =rand function - further proof I'm a perfect fit for Wharton's analytical culture)

In situations like this, go with your heart. Based on your original post, it sounds like you really want Columbia but want confirmation that it's not crazy to pick #8 rather than #3. With $120K, it's definitely not! Enjoy NYC!
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42

Kudos [?]: 21 [3] , given: 0

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 07:32
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks everyone...I think I had made up my mind but it definitely helps to get some outside advice. CBS it is...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Human Resources, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 07:04
Wow, congrats on your achievement!!!
if I were you, I would go for CBS
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33
WE: Engineering (Other)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 08:29
tashy001 wrote:
Thanks everyone...I think I had made up my mind but it definitely helps to get some outside advice. CBS it is...

Here, you made a good 'value' investment.
All the best !
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 00:35
This post received
KUDOS
Exactly the same situation here: accepted by both CBS and Wharton (plus accepted by LBS, and waitlisted then ding by HBS), with full tuition scholarship at CBS.
To be honest, I had already chose CBS even before knowing about the scholarship.

See you soon at CBS!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 21

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 01:10
This post received
KUDOS
This video just endorsed your decision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5SvTZ6qQ3g

:P
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 115

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 09:17
Congratulations! :-)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 63

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 14:52
This post received
KUDOS
Columbia Follies puts everything into perspective: http://youtu.be/q5SvTZ6qQ3g

Edit: ugh scooped by westsidah408

Posted from my mobile device Image

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 19:03
Moss wrote:
Columbia Follies puts everything into perspective: http://youtu.be/q5SvTZ6qQ3g

Edit: ugh scooped by westsidah408

Posted from my mobile device Image

Ha! Love the self-awareness of the CBS follies!
Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2013, 19:03