Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: CR-Assumption Q--Anyone can be an expert? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 21:42
circular reasoning ,good explanation by gmat1220

MBA (Mind , Body and Attitude )

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: CR-Assumption Q--Anyone can be an expert? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 22:36
hi varun2410 circ reasoning is never used by gmat - just like "divide by zero" any choice alluding to this concept can be quickly eliminated.

Compare these two conclusion in the light of the above premise-
Almost anyone who "can" be an expert "is" an expert.
Because he "is" an expert, he "is" an expert - this is circular. First one is not. Hope this makes sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 75

Re: CR-Assumption Q--Anyone can be an expert? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 02:05
nitya34 wrote:
Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no official guidelines determining what an expert must know. Anybody who manages to convince some people of his or her qualifications in an area—whatever those may be—is an expert.

The columnist’s conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) Almost anyone can convince some people of his or her qualifications in some area.
(B) Some experts convince everyone of their qualification in almost every area.
(C) Convincing certain people that one is qualified in an area requires that one actually be qualified in that area.
(D) Every expert has convinced some people of his or her qualifications in some area.
(E) Some people manage to convince almost everyone of their qualifications in one or more areas.

Between A & D

(D) Every expert has convinced some people of his or her qualifications in some area: Not necessarily.It is nowhere mentioned that convincing people about one's qualification is the only way to become an expert. There may be other ways to become an expert too.

(A) Correct. According to the author, one way by which almost anyone can become an expert is by convincing others of his/ her abilities. Clearly, the author assumes that almost anyone can convince people of his or her qualifications in some area.

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 51

Re: CR-Assumption Q--Anyone can be an expert? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 05:54
'not everyone' is the logical opposite of 'almost anyone' ?

i too think A is the right answer

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: CR-Assumption Q--Anyone can be an expert? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 19:24
icandy has stated it well.
The conclusion is "Almost anyone can be an expert....."
Hence A is required to hold this true.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 17:07
This was a very tricky question for me as I wasn't sure what it was exactly checking. Reading through the comments I would agree that A is the correct answer (originally chose D).
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 14:04
A - sounds good to me

(A) Almost anyone can convince some people of his or her qualifications in some area. - WORKS
(B) Some experts convince everyone of their qualification in almost every area. - too broad
(C) Convincing certain people that one is qualified in an area requires that one actually be qualified in that area. - Not clear
(D) Every expert has convinced some people of his or her qualifications in some area. - question said nothing about how many people
(E) Some people manage to convince almost everyone of their qualifications in one or more areas. - this was result in more than one area
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 1311 [0], given: 120

Premium Member
Re: Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 16:05
Absolutely agree with A.

The logic under the question is:
A do B = A has ability to do B.
If we negate, A does not have ability to do B -> Surely, A cannot do B.

Apply to the question.
A (Anybody) manages to convince some people of B (his/her qualification)
Conclusion: A is an expert.
Assumption: A can convince/has ability to convince some people of his/her qualification.

This question is similar to:
since-the-new-publisher-took-control-a-news-magazine-s-113811.html

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 22:48
nitya34 wrote:
Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no official guidelines determining what an expert must know. Anybody who manages to convince some people of his or her qualifications in an area—whatever those may be—is an expert.

The columnist’s conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) Almost anyone can convince some people of his or her qualifications in some area.
(B) Some experts convince everyone of their qualification in almost every area.
(C) Convincing certain people that one is qualified in an area requires that one actually be qualified in that area.
(D) Every expert has convinced some people of his or her qualifications in some area.
(E) Some people manage to convince almost everyone of their qualifications in one or more areas.

Let us make a list of the words-

Almost anyone- expert
anybody convince- some people

so look at the answer choices which can be deduced from the above. Only ans choice A wins The other choices just play around with the words.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 82

Re: Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 05:35
Very nice question.. I did it wrong though !

I chose D.. Bt after luking at discussion A luks better !

Chek out guyz..this question is nice !

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 02-28-2014
GPA: 3.2
WE: Human Resources (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 08:23
Should be D. The negation for A will be "not everyone" instead of "No one".

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: Q V0
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 74

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 22:09

To me the conclusion is _ almost anyone can be an expert as long as one can convince people of his or her qualifications in an area -
A rephrases and joins these as Almost anyone can convince some people of his or her qualifications in some area"
Therefore, answer is A.
Re: Columnist: Almost anyone can be an expert, for there are no   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2014, 22:09