Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 01:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 22:44
A is straight forward.

For all those voting for B, my question:

From where do you come with this idea of one kind of fat having the vitamins and the other one absorbing that??

Its talking about essential vitamins for the body being absorbed. talking about their origin is irrelevant.[/b]
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 07:45
should be A. Whats the OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR artificial fat [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 00:58
good post
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

Re: CR artificial fat [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 11:37
IMO A

Between A and B, A gives a way to balance the negative effects of artificial fat intake, whereas B is just stating a fact which becomes irrelevant unless we talk about other aspects of the required vitamin intake.

Does the vitamins in those foods completely balance out the negative effect of the fat? If it doesnt, then it still is negative and hence is still harmful. However, if it does balance out the negatives, then it is a healthy item and hence beneficial. This is ambiguous, hence in itself, it doesnt suffice for the evaluation.

(Not sure if I make sense :-| )

My debrief - http://gmatclub.com/forum/770-q50-v44-on-my-first-attempt-debrief-118007.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Re: CR artificial fat [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 12:04
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

Re: CR artificial fat [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 20:09
+ 1 A.

B: whether the vitamins are present in the food that contains the fat, does not sufficiently indicate the validity of the conclusion. The argument no where states that only the vitamins, present in the same food as the fat, are absorbed .
Vitamins of other food stuff can also be absorbed.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 8

Re: CR artificial fat [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 20:43
The answer should be B.

I'm glad that almost everyone on this thread has shortlisted A and B. Good job. I will not delve into C, D, and E.

Let's look at A.
"Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat"
The answer to this question does not help evaluate the author's conclusion... i.e. "People should avoid using a certain artificial fat"... Does the question above help us evaluate any of the following?? what to avoid? why to avoid? how to avoid?

Now let's look at B:
"Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat"
Clearly the answer to this question helps us know a lot about what to avoid? why to avoid? how to avoid? Which vitamins are being absorbed?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 04:19
seofah wrote:
EDIT:
I initially went for A, but stopped at B!
here is my reasoning...

Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has been touted as a resource for those whose medical advisers have advised them to reduce their fat intake. Although the artificial fat, which can be used in place of fat in food preparation, has none of the negative health effects of fat, it does have a serious drawback: it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

In evaluating the columnist's position, it would be most useful to determine which of the following?

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat
At first, this seems a reasonable information that might be useful to know. However, it is introducing new piece of information - i.e. the impact of increased intake of vitamins
(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat
"certain essential vitamins" in the stem (highlighted) does not by itself suggest that those vitamins exit "in foods that contain the fat (i.e. - art fat)". Hence, the knowledge that these vitamins exit in foods that we want to use art fat for is useful

Can we have OA for this please?

It should be A.

I think some of us have failed to notice a line in the premise that stays - Art Fat has no negative effects of fat , it does have a serious drawback => Ambiguous to find what the normal fat could do now.

I hate this question for one clear reason - In evaluating the columnist's position, now c'mon, what exactly is the columnist positing!!!!!!!?????
One could infer, that it is the vitamin absorption rather than the fat replacements.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 52

Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 13:22
B. what's OA?

Sky is the limit

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 14:00
Artificial fat absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat
Only choice A is relevant. We need to eat more vitamins to reduce the negative effects of artificial fat.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 03:19
-- correct!
(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat
doesn't B sound kind of fishy, the fat absorbs certain Vitamins, if it is going absorbing those vitamins and not others then whats the point in checking if the vitamins are there or not, any ways its going to get absorbed. Doesn't give any info. Hence a trick
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 16

Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 03:53
confused between A and B what's the OA?

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 13:21
I like B still, even tho most others have A.

Argument is: People shouldnt take artifiial fats
Reasoning: It absorbs essential vitamins.

Answer A is saying that people can take more vitamins to overcome the absorbing of the vitamins by the fat. The authors point isnt that people need more vitamins, it is that the fat absorbs them. Answer A doesnt address the issue of the vitamin absorption.

Answer B suggests that maybe some of the essential vitamins the fat blocks isnt even in the food that the fat is used for. So if it isnt, there would be no need to worry about the blocking of those vitamins, because it is irrelevant. This would make the authors point useless.

I have confused myself now, OA and explain would be helpful.
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 16

Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 17:58
kotela wrote:
confused between A and B what's the OA?

after clear examination A looks good, but do please provide the OA

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 109

Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 22:27
+1 A

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 23:44
+1 A

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 10:54
+1 A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 291

Re: [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2013, 23:31
vineetgupta wrote:
Straight B...A is totally out of scope.
Where does the increase in intake of vitamins come up in the passage.

I think what B is trying to say is whether the same food that contains the artificial fat contains the the essential vitamins(that it absorbs) as well??

Now,answer 'Yes' and 'No' to this question...the argument is strengthened in one case and weakened in another.

A isn't out of scope. A is the OA. :yikes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 08:40
Hi,

Here the conclusion is People should avoid using artificial fat ,because it prevent essential vitamins to be used by the body.
So now seeing the option A ,which is the OA. But my query is Even after increasing the intake of vitamins how does it going to compensate the artificial fat intake effect, as it still going to prevent the vitamins to be used by the body as it just vitamins quantity is increased.

Please help me out.

Thanks
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1276

Kudos [?]: 3596 [0], given: 185

Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 19:00
Expert's post
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi,

Here the conclusion is People should avoid using artificial fat ,because it prevent essential vitamins to be used by the body.
So now seeing the option A ,which is the OA. But my query is Even after increasing the intake of vitamins how does it going to compensate the artificial fat intake effect, as it still going to prevent the vitamins to be used by the body as it just vitamins quantity is increased.

Please help me out.

Thanks

Hi Nitin,

Good question. You are correct in your understanding to a limited extent.

If option A had been:

Whether a person consuming artificial fat can increase his/her intake of Vitamins?

Then your reasoning would be correct. Because we don't know whether increasing the intake of vitamins would help or not since artificial fat is preventing these vitamins to be absorbed in the body. Even if the intake of vitamins is increased, it may not help if the artificial fat does not allow these vitamins to be absorbed by the body.

So, you would have been correct if the option statement were like above.

However, option A says:

What do we mean by "compensate" here?

When someone says "Your high score in verbal can compensate for your low score in quant". What does it mean? It means that even though your quant score is probably below the required number, your high verbal score can help you get the required overall score.

Similarly, option A says whether increasing intake of vitamins (high verbal score) can help the body get the required vitamins (overall score) even in the presence of artificial fat (low quant score).

Now, if the answer is Yes, then it means that increasing intake of vitamins will give your body its required vitamins. So, you need not cut artificial fat from your diet. It weakens the conclusion.

Similarly, if the answer is No, it strengthens the conclusion.

Does it help? :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial   [#permalink] 21 May 2014, 19:00