Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 17:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

80% (02:35) correct 20% (01:15) wrong based on 52 sessions
Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has been touted as a resource for those whose medical advisers have advised them to reduce their fat intake. Although the artificial fat, which can be used in place of fat in food preparation, has none of the negative health effects of fat, it does have a serious drawback: it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

In evaluating the columnist's position, it would be most useful to determine which of the following?

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat
(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat
(C) Whether having an extremely low fat intake for an extended period can endanger the health
(D) Whether there are any foods that cannot be prepared using the artificial fat as a substitute for other fats
(E) Whether people are generally able to detect differences in taste between foods prepared using the artificial fat and foods that are similar except for the use of other fats
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR artificial fat [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 18:23
stevegt wrote:
Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has been touted as a resource for those whose medical advisers have advised them to reduce their fat intake. Although the artificial fat, which can be used in place of fat in food preparation, has none of the negative health effects of fat, it does have a serious drawback: it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

In evaluating the columnist's position, it would be most useful to determine which of the following?

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat
(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat
(C) Whether having an extremely low fat intake for an extended period can endanger the health
(D) Whether there are any foods that cannot be prepared using the artificial fat as a substitute for other fats
(E) Whether people are generally able to detect differences in taste between foods prepared using the artificial fat and foods that are similar except for the use of other fats

between A and B for me.
I am not sure.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
CR artificial fat [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 18:44
I go with B!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 19:07
B for me too...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR artificial fat [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 22:24
stevegt wrote:

It is clearly between A and B. We have to establish a link between the fat consumption and vitamin intake.

B for me is not relevant. It doesn't help us if we know if vitamin and fat are present in the same food.

A for me is the answer. If increasing the vitamin intake can offset the negative effect of the fat, then the columnist's position is weakened and otherwise strengthened. Thus, A helps to evaluate the columnist's position most effectively.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 22:59
agree with sumande

A is relevant and can evaluate columnist's conclusion

AimHigher

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2007, 00:31
Quote:

I vote for A as well.

C: People should avoid using artificial fat
P1: Artificial fat does not have negative effects of fat but it absorbs certain essential vitamins
P2: Artificial fat prevents essential vitamins from being used in the body

To me the argument reads, "Artificial fat prevents essential vitamins from being used in the body. Therefore, to ensure the body processes these essential vitamins, one should avoid artificial fat."

However, if we introduce an idea that would allow the body to still process the essential vitamins, that would be a weakening point.

Just my rambling...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2007, 02:31
misterJJ2u wrote:
Quote:

I vote for A as well.

C: People should avoid using artificial fat
P1: Artificial fat does not have negative effects of fat but it absorbs certain essential vitamins
P2: Artificial fat prevents essential vitamins from being used in the body

To me the argument reads, "Artificial fat prevents essential vitamins from being used in the body. Therefore, to ensure the body processes these essential vitamins, one should avoid artificial fat."

However, if we introduce an idea that would allow the body to still process the essential vitamins, that would be a weakening point.

Just my rambling...

If we see option 1 and option 2 more closely, it will quite visible to us that the option2 is trying to tell us that we can have both artificial and natural Fats at the same time!! Now the columnist is talking of effects of possible replacement of natural fats with artificial ones!! This would mean that we cant use 2 of them together, and it can be inferred that only one is used. This eliminates B. A is the only other choice which is logical.

Therefore A is correct!

Please specify the OA, and explanation if any!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2007, 05:50
only A is relevent

A should be answer
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 02:05
A/B

Then, look at the context. We're talking about health effects on the body, not about food preperation - so I'd side with A.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 02:08
EDIT:
I initially went for A, but stopped at B!
here is my reasoning...

At first, this seems a reasonable information that might be useful to know. However, it is introducing new piece of information - i.e. the impact of increased intake of vitamins
"certain essential vitamins" in the stem (highlighted) does not by itself suggest that those vitamins exit "in foods that contain the fat (i.e. - art fat)". Hence, the knowledge that these vitamins exit in foods that we want to use art fat for is useful

Can we have OA for this please?

Last edited by seofah on 19 Aug 2007, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 02:39
No CR expert here but I will go for B.

C, D, and E are irrelevant.

A only determines whether the negative effects can be compensated but does not establish whether the essential vitamins are absorbed by the fat.

B does exactly that so B.

OA please.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR artificial fat [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 06:12
I think the answer is A. I don't think its B, because it is irrelevant in this context. No matter whether the vitamin is present or not, end result is these vitamins get absorbed,,, so best information to know here is whether there are alternatives to compensate the effect of artificial fat.

http://gmatstuff.blogspot.com

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 09:28
Straight B...A is totally out of scope.
Where does the increase in intake of vitamins come up in the passage.

I think what B is trying to say is whether the same food that contains the artificial fat contains the the essential vitamins(that it absorbs) as well??

Now,answer 'Yes' and 'No' to this question...the argument is strengthened in one case and weakened in another.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR artificial fat [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 10:02
stevegt wrote:

Let's put it this way:
Conclusion:
People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has been touted as a resource for those whose medical advisers have advised them to reduce their fat intake.
Premises:
Although the artificial fat, which can be used in place of fat in food preparation, has none of the negative health effects of fat, it does have a serious drawback: it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

So columnist tells us not to use the Arti.Fat as it doesnt damage the health but can prevent certain vitamins which can be used by the budy

Now we know that it is fine to eat Art.Fat as it doesnt affect our health negatively, but still it has drawback. Since it reduces the vitamins, we need to find out if taking vitamins along with Art.Fat containing food is fine, as we cannot stop eating Art.Fat food and cannot just loose vitamins so we need to take some vitas to keep the health.

I think A will clear that.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 10:22
should be A??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 01:25
What's OA?
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR artificial fat [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 09:14
stevegt wrote:

Don't think B can help evaluate the columnists' position regarding the fat -

Let's say Vitamins are present in the food that this artificial fat is mixed with - according to the columnist - the vitamins will get absorbed. period.
Now take the counter view - Suppose the vitamins are NOT present - there is nothing for the fat to absorb - at least FROM the food with which the FAT is mixed. However, food is NOT the only source of ingesting the vitamin (which our fat supposedly devours) -- the vitamin could very well be synthesized in the stomach or like vitamin D be absorbed from Sunlight - Still potentially, our Fat could absorb these vitamins as claimed by the Columinst.

Either way - it doesn't help to analyze if the food contains the vitamins the fat is alleged to absorb.

A stands.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 09:15
I feel this got to be A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 10:27
A.

The vitamins which this fat absorbs do not have to be in the foods which have this fat. They can be in other foods and still these fat can absorb them.

I vote for A.
  [#permalink] 20 Aug 2007, 10:27