Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Combination/ Permutation with Duplicates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Combination/ Permutation with Duplicates [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 13:02
Hi all,

This is my first post here, so I apologise if this has been asked.

How many unique ways can you re-arrange the word BOOK if you only select 2 letters?

when I try and do this, the total number of permutations is 12 (4P2)...However, I am not sure how to mathematically calculate the number of duplicates (in this case, there are 5 duplicates)? Ie - BO1 and BO2....I have written down the list of permutations and crossed out the duplicates.

BO1
BO2
BK

O1B
O1O2
O1K

O2B
O2O1
O2K

KB
KO1
KO2

Any help appreciated!
GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: Combination/ Permutation with Duplicates [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 19:38
In this question, you divide the 12 possible permutations by 2!, as one of the letters (O) appears 2 times. Note that O1O2 doesn't work, because that gives you the same words. Total number of permutations is therefore 6, or 4P2 / 2!.

Hi, I'm DonQuixote, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I'm very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :) My account of my GMAT experience can be found here.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1116

Kudos [?]: 5057 [0], given: 164

Re: Combination/ Permutation with Duplicates [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 21:49
Expert's post
ashsundaresan wrote:
Hi all,

This is my first post here, so I apologise if this has been asked.

How many unique ways can you re-arrange the word BOOK if you only select 2 letters?

when I try and do this, the total number of permutations is 12 (4P2)...However, I am not sure how to mathematically calculate the number of duplicates (in this case, there are 5 duplicates)? Ie - BO1 and BO2....I have written down the list of permutations and crossed out the duplicates.

BO1
BO2
BK

O1B
O1O2
O1K

O2B
O2O1
O2K

KB
KO1
KO2

Any help appreciated!

The wording of the question is a little convoluted. " re-arrange the word BOOK if you only select 2 letters" is unclear. I think they mean "how many 2 letter words can you make from the letters of the word BOOK"

Out of the letters of the word BOOK, you need to make distinct 2 letter words.
The two letters can be same or they can be different.
Two letters same - This can be done in only 1 way i.e. by selecting both Os. The word will be OO.
Two letters different - Out of the 3 distinct letters (B, O, K), select any two and arrange them in 3p2 = 6 ways.
Total number of distinct 2 letter words = 1+6 = 7

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Combination/ Permutation with Duplicates   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2012, 21:49