Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Combined rate formula?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Combined rate formula? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 22:24
I remember having seen a formula for rates

\frac{A*B}{A+B} but I can't remember what it is for (if anything at all). Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 589 [3] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Combined rate formula? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 00:09
This post received
KUDOS
Skag55 wrote:

\frac{A*B}{A+B} but I can't remember what it is for (if anything at all). Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks

hi,

If A can finish a work in X time and B can finish the
same work in Y time then both of them together can
finish that work in (X*Y)/ (X+Y) time.

If A can finish a work in X time and A & B together can
finish the same work in S time then B can finish that
work in (XS)/(X-S) time.

If A can finish a work in X time and B in Y time and C in
Z time then all of them working together will finish the
work in (XYZ)/ (XY +YZ +XZ) time

kudos if it helped

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager

Re: Combined rate formula? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 01:13
shaileshmishra wrote:
Skag55 wrote:

Thanks

hi,

If A can finish a work in X time and B can finish the
same work in Y time then both of them together can
finish that work in (X*Y)/ (X+Y) time.

If A can finish a work in X time and A & B together can
finish the same work in S time then B can finish that
work in (XS)/(X-S) time.

If A can finish a work in X time and B in Y time and C in
Z time then all of them working together will finish the
work in (XYZ)/ (XY +YZ +XZ) time

kudos if it helped

...kudos if it deserves it.

Though I think it does, cause it covers more than I asked and it's nicely laid out! :)
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3505

Kudos [?]: 26535 [5] , given: 2712

Re: Combined rate formula? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 01:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Skag55 wrote:

Thanks

THEORY
There are several important things you should know to solve work problems:

1. Time, rate and job in work problems are in the same relationship as time, speed (rate) and distance in rate problems.

time*speed=distance <--> time*rate=job \ done. For example when we are told that a man can do a certain job in 3 hours we can write: 3*rate=1 --> rate=\frac{1}{3} job/hour. Or when we are told that 2 printers need 5 hours to complete a certain job then 5*(2*rate)=1 --> so rate of 1 printer is rate=\frac{1}{10} job/hour. Another example: if we are told that 2 printers need 3 hours to print 12 pages then 3*(2*rate)=12 --> so rate of 1 printer is rate=2 pages per hour;

So, time to complete one job = reciprocal of rate. For example if 6 hours (time) are needed to complete one job --> 1/6 of the job will be done in 1 hour (rate).

2. We can sum the rates.

If we are told that A can complete one job in 2 hours and B can complete the same job in 3 hours, then A's rate is rate_a=\frac{job}{time}=\frac{1}{2} job/hour and B's rate is rate_b=\frac{job}{time}=\frac{1}{3} job/hour. Combined rate of A and B working simultaneously would be rate_{a+b}=rate_a+rate_b=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}=\frac{5}{6} job/hour, which means that they will complete \frac{5}{6} job in one hour working together.

3. For multiple entities: \frac{1}{t_1}+\frac{1}{t_2}+\frac{1}{t_3}+...+\frac{1}{t_n}=\frac{1}{T}, where T is time needed for these entities to complete a given job working simultaneously.

For example if:
Time needed for A to complete the job is A hours;
Time needed for B to complete the job is B hours;
Time needed for C to complete the job is C hours;
Time needed for N to complete the job is N hours;

Then: \frac{1}{A}+\frac{1}{B}+\frac{1}{C}+...+\frac{1}{N}=\frac{1}{T}, where T is the time needed for A, B, C, ..., and N to complete the job working simultaneously.

For two and three entities (workers, pumps, ...):

General formula for calculating the time needed for two workers A and B working simultaneously to complete one job:

Given that t_1 and t_2 are the respective individual times needed for A and B workers (pumps, ...) to complete the job, then time needed for A and B working simultaneously to complete the job equals to T_{(A&B)}=\frac{t_1*t_2}{t_1+t_2} hours, which is reciprocal of the sum of their respective rates (\frac{1}{t_1}+\frac{1}{t_2}=\frac{1}{T}).

General formula for calculating the time needed for three A, B and C workers working simultaneously to complete one job:

T_{(A&B&C)}=\frac{t_1*t_2*t_3}{t_1*t_2+t_1*t_3+t_2*t_3} hours.

Some work problems with solutions:
time-n-work-problem-82718.html?hilit=reciprocal%20rate
facing-problem-with-this-question-91187.html?highlight=rate+reciprocal
what-am-i-doing-wrong-to-bunuel-91124.html?highlight=rate+reciprocal
gmat-prep-ps-93365.html?hilit=reciprocal%20rate
questions-from-gmat-prep-practice-exam-please-help-93632.html?hilit=reciprocal%20rate
a-good-one-98479.html?hilit=rate
solution-required-100221.html?hilit=work%20rate%20done
work-problem-98599.html?hilit=work%20rate%20done
hours-to-type-pages-102407.html?hilit=answer%20choices%20or%20solve%20quadratic%20equation.%20R

Theory on work/rate problems: work-word-problems-made-easy-87357.html

All DS work/rate problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=46
All PS work/rate problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=66

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Combined rate formula? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 01:19
Thanks Bunuel, helpful and thorough as always!
Re: Combined rate formula?   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2013, 01:19