Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Combining enormous physical strength with higher

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 100

Combining enormous physical strength with higher [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 05:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

60% (01:46) correct 40% (01:07) wrong based on 6 sessions
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence,the neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,but their relatively sudden disappearnce during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led o their extinction.

A)appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path
B)appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
C)appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
D)appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
E)appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Could anyone give an explanation why (B) is the correct answer.

Specifically, why " have been equipped " is correct usage. have been is present perfect which dictates any action started in the past but continues in the present. Since Neanderthal are extinct, how is this usage right ?

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 22

Re: neanderthals [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 07:32
tejal777 wrote:
Could anyone give an explanation why (B) is the correct answer.

Specifically, why " have been equipped " is correct usage. have been is present perfect which dictates any action started in the past but continues in the present. Since Neanderthal are extinct, how is this usage right ?

check this post by ron of beatthegmat,
http://www.beatthegmat.com/post176512.html#176512
Director
Director

Re: neanderthals [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 15:02
Before posting Sc's I do i search in google to find ALL available threads..THEN if I still don't understand I post it here..so ya I came across that thread..was looking for alternative views :)
Thanks..this one is really really tough..Am wondering how come I can't find more discussions about it!!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 249 [1] , given: 22

Re: neanderthals [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 15:14
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:
Before posting Sc's I do i search in google to find ALL available threads..THEN if I still don't understand I post it here..so ya I came across that thread..was looking for alternative views :)
Thanks..this one is really really tough..Am wondering how come I can't find more discussions about it!!

I too thought that because you just copied the "Specifically, why " have been ..................... how is this usage right ?" para from there, but what ron said is it is a idiom, and we cant have explanations for idioms, it is just the way they are. And we can always rely on Ron's post.
my approach was (may be wrong), i thought "appear to" is preferred to "appear as", and "equipped to" is better than "equipped for". I may be wrong, i think it is a problem from OG 12 ,if anybody has the official explanation please post here, that would be more helpful for the discussion.
Director
Director

Re: neanderthals [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 17:31
Here's the OE..does'nt make any sense to me 'cos for SC i rely on Verbal gurus like you..Its too much verbal-technical if you know what i mean!I prefer explanation in simpler terms..tell you what..you understand from this and then make ME understand:)Kudos for the trouble!!

Verb form; Diction
Because Neanderthals “disappeared,” the verb
describing their apparent abilities cannot be
present tense, so as equipped must be changed to to
have been equipped. Th e expression equipped to face
is clearer and more direct than equipped for facing.
A As equipped indicates that Neanderthals still
appear this way; equipped should be followed
by an infi nitive form instead of a
prepositional phrase.
B Correct. Th e verb tense clearly indicates
that the current evidence is about
Neanderthals in the past.
C As equipped does not indicate that
Neanderthals appeared this way in the past;
while individual Neanderthals may well
have followed diff erent paths, this sentence
is about the single evolutionary path taken
by Neanderthals as a species.
D Present-tense appear is needed to parallel
present-tense indicates and to reinforce that
this is current evidence about Neanderthals
in the past; as in C, paths should be singular.
E For facing is an incorrect substitution of a
prepositional phrase for an infi nitive.
Th e correct answer is B.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 249 [1] , given: 22

Re: neanderthals [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 01:32
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777, sorry for the delay,
As typical of OG's explanation, i couldnt say anything better, other than 'appear' and 'indicates' have to be parallel and to be in present tense makes sense. 'as this is current evidence' mentioned in option D of OE, even thougn neanderthals didnt exist now, the evidence is true always.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 08:00
OG said "path" should be singular. Why is that?
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher   [#permalink] 30 May 2012, 08:00