Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Comets do not give off their own light but reflect light

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Comets do not give off their own light but reflect light [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2007, 10:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Comets do not give off their own light but reflect light from other sources, such as the Sun. Scientists estimate the mass of comets by their brightness: the greater a comet’s mass, the more light that comet will reflect. A satellite probe, however, has revealed that the material of which Halley’s comet is composed reflects 60 times less light per unit of mass than had been previously thought.
The statements above, if true, give the most support to which one of the following?
(A) Some comets are composed of material that reflects 60 times more light per unit of mass than the material of which Halley’s comet is composed.
(B) Previous estimates of the mass of Halley’s comet which were base on its brightness were too low.
(C) The total amount of light reflected from Halley’s comet is less than scientists had previously thought.
(D) The reflective properties of the material of which comets are composed vary considerably from comet to comet.
(E) Scientists need more information before they can make a good estimate of the mass of Halley’s comet.

I am caught b/w B or C...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2007, 12:24
I would say C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Comets [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2007, 19:06
vineetgupta wrote:
Comets do not give off their own light but reflect light from other sources, such as the Sun. Scientists estimate the mass of comets by their brightness: the greater a comet’s mass, the more light that comet will reflect. A satellite probe, however, has revealed that the material of which Halley’s comet is composed reflects 60 times less light per unit of mass than had been previously thought.
The statements above, if true, give the most support to which one of the following?
(A) Some comets are composed of material that reflects 60 times more light per unit of mass than the material of which Halley’s comet is composed.
(B) Previous estimates of the mass of Halley’s comet which were base on its brightness were too low.
(C) The total amount of light reflected from Halley’s comet is less than scientists had previously thought.
(D) The reflective properties of the material of which comets are composed vary considerably from comet to comet.
(E) Scientists need more information before they can make a good estimate of the mass of Halley’s comet.

I am caught b/w B or C...

C.
Greater Mass = More Light
Scientists determined Halley has 60 times LESS light than they thought, so it has LESS mass.
C is the best conclusion derived from the stem because it is pulled directly from the statements and does not go at all beyond what is said.

B actually says the opposite of the stem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2007, 20:22
C... too...

in B, you have no idea how good/bad the previous estimate was to be affected by this change..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Comets [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2007, 22:28
choice C

choice B goes the other way.
Previous estimates of the mass of Halley’s comet which were base on its brightness were too low.
if previous estimates were low,implies the mass should have been more than thought.with more mass, the brightness hosuld be more and not less as found out.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Comets [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2007, 05:26
What is OA?
B looks correct to me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2007, 06:34
P - Comets reflect light from other sources.
P - Brightness = Mass of comets
P - Greater Mass Greater the light reflection
P - Halley's comet reflects 60 times less/per unit mass

E - Out of Scope
D - Argument talks about mass of the comet not reflective properties
C - BEST ANSWER
B - Out of Scope
A - Opposite of what the argument states
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2007, 10:34
I also chose C...but the OA is given as B.

How is B out of scope?...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Answer is B and heres why [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2007, 11:11
I read the problem; and before reading the responses - I adamentaly chose B. Then read the responses and was surprised to see the answer was C, until I read last post and the OA did say the answer was in B. I am glad I was right and not out of my mind.

I will attempt to try and explain why the answer is B as clearly as possible.

The assertion made in the problem, by scientists, is that their is a direct relationship between a comets mass and the light which it reflects. The problem goes on to say that with the case of Haley's comet the material of which it is composed was found to reflect 60 times less light per unit of mass (than originally presumed).

Ok. So this means, simply, the light Haley's comet reflected was not an accurate depiction of how its mass. The problem states, that more light = more mass. If it reflected less light (because of its material - that was unbeknown to scientist) this means the original estimate ofs its mass was negatively proportianate. Basically "previous estimates of the mass from Haley's comet which were based on its brightness were too low". The answer is clearly B.

So why not C? C has nothing to do with what scientists estimated. Scientists estimated the comets mass, based off its quanitfiable brightness. The total amount of light it reflected was not more/or less than what scientists had previously thought; it was what it was. I hope I make sense.

I have not taken the GMAT, I have only taked the Gmat prep test 1, and scored a 690. (45 Q, and 40 V).
Answer is B and heres why   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2007, 11:11